No announcement yet.

BYU 2020-2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• " I really like Michigan State going on to beat BYU and maybe beyond that" -- every basketball talking head and their dog this week.

Oops
    Last edited by BlueK; 03-18-2021, 09:48 PM.

Comment

• UCLA

Comment

• BY mother EFFING U. Let’s gooooooo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
          Good grief ucla loses their leading scorer to an ankle injury.
          Looked like it might not be that serious - he was walking around on it before the end of the game. They did say that he's had issues with his ankles this season, so this might be a re-injury. If he can't go against BYU, or if he's hobbled, that's obviously a big advantage. He was very dynamic, scoring in multiple ways against Michigan State. As his scoring brought UCLA back into contention, I started wondering who Pope would tag as his primary defender. I think he'd probably start with George, but he might have a few inches height on Gideon.

I like that their point guard is not particularly tall. Barcello shouldn't have too much trouble getting his shot up.

UCLA had a lot of trouble early in the game with shot blocking of MSU's 5 (whose name escapes me). What was surprising was that it wasn't even really the help defense, they kept getting blocked in one-on-one plays on the block. I'd like to think that bodes well for Haarms.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, it seems that at least some of UCLA's roster doesn't know their own offensive playbook. Either that, or Cronin was ad-libbing from the sideline. UCLA did seem to be successful more often than not on those Cronin-directed plays.

I wasn't paying too much attention, but it seemed like UCLA's bench is not very deep. I think they only had 3 bench points at halftime, and I don't remember them substituting much. They brought in that Etienne kid for a little bit when Riley picked up his third or fourth foul. I also remember seeing the point guard ready to check back in, so he must have sat at least a few minutes. I'd like to see an up-tempo game plan to take advantage of what I'm expecting to be a depth advantage. It might also help to wear them out after they played an overtime game just two nights before. On the other hand, I think I read that UCLA likes to play fast, so that might be playing into their hands.

What did you guys see? Any advantages/disadvantages?
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
            " I really like Michigan State going on to beat BYU and maybe beyond that" -- every basketball talking head and their dog this week.

Oops
            That might have gotten into the Spartans' heads a bit this week, leading them to be overconfident. And then, with taking a big lead in the first half, they figured they had the game in the bag. Or, perhaps the game was just a microcosm of MSU's season - able to play really well and able to play really poorly.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
              He was very dynamic, scoring in multiple ways against Michigan State. As his scoring brought UCLA back into contention, I started wondering who Pope would tag as his primary defender. I think he'd probably start with George, but he might have a few inches height on Gideon.
              I just looked at UCLA's roster. Jaime Jaquez Jr. is actually listed at 6' 6", same as Gideon. He is a bit heavier, though - 220 lbs vs 190 for George. Jaquez does a nice job with pivots and pump fakes, especially as he works in the lane. Whoever is guarding him (assuming he plays) is going to have to be calm and not jump in the air with his fakes. Haven't really seen him pass the ball much, so a shot blocker behind the primary defender might do really well against him.

As to their depth, UCLA played 10 different guys tonight, but their starters played 81.8% of the minutes in this game. In spite of the going into the overtime period, the most minutes any bench player got was 15.

In contrast, in BYU's last game (against Gonzaga), BYU played 9 guys (almost 8 - Lee registered less than one minute) but the starters played only 71% of the total minutes. Their three primary bench players - Knell, Johnson, and Harward - played 27, 17, and 14 minutes respectively.
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• More roster notes:

Their starting lineup against MSU is not particularly tall, but has good size at the 2 and 3 spots:

Tyger Campbell - 5' 11"
                Jules Bernard - 6' 6"
                Johnny Juzang - 6' 6"
                Jaime Jaquez Jr - 6' 6"
                Cody Riley - 6' 9"

So either Barcello or Averette is likely to be defended by someone much taller (probably Barcello). Their best scorers against MSU were Jaquez (27 points on 11 of 20 overall, 3 of 4 from deep) and Juzang (23 points on 9 of 20 overall and 3 of 9 from deep). Tyger is small but has good quickness and his drives to the hoop reminded me of Averette. In fact, their respective rosters list them as almost the same size (both 5' 11" but Averette weighting 5 lbs more).

I don't expect Riley to be much of a factor 1-on-1 against taller defenders but he could pose problems as a dump off threat when Haarms/Harward commit to help defense.

Continuing on the theme of bench production, UCLA got 7 points out of their bench.
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• An inaccuracy in my earlier analysis - the injured Bruins player is Juzang, not Jaquez. While Jaquez led the team's scoring against MSU, Juzang is their leading scorer this season.

Vegas favors BYU by 3.5 points. Combining that with an over/under of 138.5, the predicted score would be 71 - 67.5.

kenpom.com rates UCLA's offensive efficiency as 16th-best in the country - a bit better than BYU's 29th-ranked offense. BYU has the advantage in defensive efficiency, 25 vs 88.
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Ugh. Not the first half I was hoping for.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Someone needs to sweep the leg.

Comment

• Well that was not great.
                        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Hate to say it, but Haarms is softer than Charmin. I would play Harward out the rest of the game

Comment

• It's not easy to be a BYU fan sometimes come March.
                            "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Well, Pepperdine wrote the script. It seemed inevitable that someone with better players would pick it up and carry it out to perfection.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• That rebound that UCLA ripped away from Haarms was emblematic of the game.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

- Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X