Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Monstah
    replied
    I think Lohner just needs....confidence isn't the right word...I think he has tons of that...but maybe a bit of self-assurance. My impression is that he's trying not to make mistakes offensively, when he really just needs to trust his instincts a bit more, and take good shots when they're presented to him. I like his hustle.

Leave a comment:

• Pelado
    replied
    Haarms taking over the starting spot from Lee is a no-brainer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Goatnapper'96
    replied
    I didn't watch the game against UVU but I watched most of the other two.

This is a good team but I am not seeing potential for great, by that I mean 2nd weekend caliber in NCAA tourney, this year. The key will be developing at least one more consistent and regular double digit scorer. I am confident Barcello is at that level but they will need either Haarms or Lohner to get to that level to make the jump. This is a good team with a lot of capable role players, more than BYU has, and to be honest I think a couple (Knell and Johnson both) of those role players could develop into go to caliber players. Pope has attracted a pretty talented squad, by BYU standards, from top to bottom. But the limiting issue could be having a couple of good go to guys.

I think Haarms will replace Lee in the starting lineup. I am hopeful he will be a complete big, plays well at both sides of the court, and offensively capable enough to force teams to gameplay for him. Lee is solid, especially on offense, but I don't find either Harward or Lee to be above role players. Both play their roles well and complement each other as their strengths are what the other player struggles with.

What happened to Baxter sucks for the team but is a huge opportunity for Lohner. I think he has the potential to develop into a go to player. I want to believe it can happen this year but I think his lack of experience resulting in dumb fouls and other mistakes of youth will plague him this year and prevent him from developing into a star until next season, but he is going to be a really good player at BYU and I think that Baxter's injury will afford him chances to develop this year he otherwise would not have had.

There are moments I wonder if Averette might be replaced by Knell in the starting lineup. I don't know if Barcello is as good when he is the primary ball handler though. I wonder what the data is on how well Barcello plays when he is the 1 versus playing the 2. Averette has some athleticism BYU PGs don't always have and he has his moments of playing well but he does turn it over a bit. I hope that is just a familiarity and early season issue and how Pope handles that situation might be a challenge to his BLA mantra.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Lebowski
    replied
    Really funny to watch the haircut reactions.

Leave a comment:

• BigPiney
    replied
    He didn't. He played a bunch in the Westminster game.

Leave a comment:

• Pelado
    replied
    Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
    My six year old saw him that first game and calls him Malfoy.
    Don't think Malfoy got into the game against UVU.

Leave a comment:

• BigPiney
    replied
    Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post

There are some horrific haircuts on this team (Baxter, the blond dude, Knell), but Averette's is not one of them, in spite of the honor code Nazis on facebook claiming a violation.
    My six year old saw him that first game and calls him Malfoy.

Leave a comment:

• Green Monstah
    replied
    That is a real bummer for Baxter. I think this team has enough depth to minimize the impact of his absence, however.

I was actually quite pleased with Haarms. He scored double digits in limited PT, and he definitely had an impact down low defensively. I think he gets better and better as the team plays together more.

Harward seems like a strange dude. If he were more athletic, i think he could be a real force for us.

Kolby Lee gets the "I continue to improve year by year" award. He's not ever going to be a 1st-team all conference player, but I think he's going to win some games for us--especially if he can stretch the floor and hit his perimeter shots consistently.

Knell has been a great surprise.

Averette is a great get for the Cougs.

There are some horrific haircuts on this team (Baxter, the blond dude, Knell), but Averette's is not one of them, in spite of the honor code Nazis on facebook claiming a violation.

Leave a comment:

• Pelado
    replied
    Pretty disappointing for Gavin Baxter. After working hard to come back from injury last season, really sucks for him to lose this season. Tough for the team, too, as he was looking to be a pretty significant contributor.

A few thoughts on tonight's game against UVU:

Seems like they shortened the bench a bit tonight, providing a better idea of who the coaches trust right now.

Haarms did look lost at first (as he admitted in the postgame show) but started getting into the flow by the second half. Its probably too late, but I'd like to see a bit more muscle on his frame. He'll probably have to absorb a lot of punishment this season.

George did pretty well on defense, but he got called for a couple of silly fouls while swiping at the ball through the defender while 30ish feet from the basket. Not the best fouls.

I really like Lohner's energy and basketball IQ. He's been stealing and deflecting passes, chasing down loose balls and rebounds, and generally doing some great things on the floor. I'm hoping he can get a little more comfortable on the court to where he starts making his shots. Once he's hitting shots consistently, he'll be really tough to stop.

Really hope Barcelo is OK after that nasty fall. I wish he hadn't been in the game when up 20 and under a minute to go. Also, wasn't a big fan of the UVU defender who fouled out taking Barcelo to the ground.

I projected that Knell would have more minutes on this team than most of the rest of you who gave projections, and he's getting even more minutes than I think I projected. He's done pretty well with those minutes.

I'm surprised Lowell wasn't had more time on the court. I think they said he was coming off an injury, but I was expecting the former WAC freshman of the year to warrant more playing time.

My wife liked the pregame Deep Blue segment on Harding, his sister, his grandmother, and his wife.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Lebowski
    replied
    Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
    I really wish we had Woodberry. He is good.
    Yeah he is great.

Leave a comment:

• BigPiney
    replied
    I really wish we had Woodberry. He is good.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Public
    replied
    Haarms starting to settle in a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Green Monstah
    replied
    Barcello. Dude looks great.

Leave a comment:

• SCcoug
    replied
    AB finishing strong.

Leave a comment:

• BigFatMeanie
    replied
    Yikes. Haarms looks like he ate too much thanksgiving turkey.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X