X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BigPiney
    replied
    Originally posted by tooblue View Post
    He is not your typical mal-nourished, thin hairline looking BYU recruit. I seriously did a double take when I saw him enter the game the first time and thought is this for real—that's a man child.

From here on out they will be known as Beautiful George and the Man Child.
    he is still Gorgeous in my book - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorgeous_George

Leave a comment:

• tooblue
    replied
    Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    In addition to the poor shooting he does make some dumb fouls or decisions at times but my guess is you both see it pretty much the same way.

I don't know if you start him but he needs to play. He is good enough first and foremost but as this team is making clear - in basketball it is a must to have a couple of great players to be really good. This BYU team has a lot of good players. Perhaps this team has the best players from 9-13 than I have ever seen. However, really good depth of interchangeable players does not a really good basketball team make. You need a bit of star power- that is what this team lacks. Barcello appears to be getting more consistent- it was good to see him have a great team against SJU after his poor outing against USC. SJU had top tier athletes. I am hoping Haarms can move more towards the star power direction as well. However, in my humble but highly accurate opinion, Lohner has star power and for BYU to be great it will really help for him to reach his potential. That might not be until next year but it is going to require him to get decent minutes to get there.

I must admit how surprised I am that Beautiful George is as close to star power as he is. I also think that he and Lohner can play together.
    He is not your typical mal-nourished, thin hairline looking BYU recruit. I seriously did a double take when I saw him enter the game the first time and thought is this for real—that's a man child.

From here on out they will be known as Beautiful George and the Man Child.
    Last edited by tooblue; 12-03-2020, 01:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jay santos
    replied
    Though not the best comparator, what were Childs stats as a freshman? Not much better, and Lohner has the potential to be a better player than Childs because he is a much more versatile talent.

He is able to play on the wing and down low. The confusion and turnovers are more a result of coaching than anything. In one line-up he is the second big, and then minutes later, situationally, he is asked to play on the wing. That versatility is intoxicating for a coach but it isn't doing Lohner any favours as it relates to his confidence and the stat line.

Now that George has emerged, I am confident Pope will find the right spots for Lohner in the right situations. We are only five games in. It is way too early to be disappointed in him, especially considering just how effective on the boards and defensively he has been.
    I agree he has potential to be a great player. I'm hoping we see that soon. I was really big on him coming into the season. Still big on him. Just a little disappointed and concerned it may take a while to get there. I thought he'd be more polished right off the bat.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Lebowski
    replied
    Good grief, folks. He is a true freshman playing his very first college games.

Leave a comment:

• Green Monstah
    replied
    Lohner is intimidated by the defenders' size down low. Also, off of two feet, he appears to have surprisingly little leaping ability. I think he's going to get better and better, but will not be a freshman phenom.

Leave a comment:

• tooblue
    replied
    Originally posted by jay santos View Post
    7/21 shooting. 4.4 TO's per 40 minutes. Taking bad shots. Looks really uncomfortable on offense. Defensively and on the boards he's been great.
    Though not the best comparator, what were Childs stats as a freshman? Not much better, and Lohner has the potential to be a better player than Childs because he is a much more versatile talent.

He is able to play on the wing and down low. The confusion and turnovers are more a result of coaching than anything. In one line-up he is the second big, and then minutes later, situationally, he is asked to play on the wing. That versatility is intoxicating for a coach but it isn't doing Lohner any favours as it relates to his confidence and the stat line.

Now that George has emerged, I am confident Pope will find the right spots for Lohner in the right situations. We are only five games in. It is way too early to be disappointed in him, especially considering just how effective on the boards and defensively he has been.

Leave a comment:

• Goatnapper'96
    replied
    You will have to define what you mean by "poor play"? Is it because he hasn't scored a bunch of points? The lack of point production does not mean he has played poorly. I think he has played great for a true freshman. His hustle and defense is great.

He passes the eye test—he's going to be a great one.
    In addition to the poor shooting he does make some dumb fouls or decisions at times but my guess is you both see it pretty much the same way.

I don't know if you start him but he needs to play. He is good enough first and foremost but as this team is making clear - in basketball it is a must to have a couple of great players to be really good. This BYU team has a lot of good players. Perhaps this team has the best players from 9-13 than I have ever seen. However, really good depth of interchangeable players does not a really good basketball team make. You need a bit of star power- that is what this team lacks. Barcello appears to be getting more consistent- it was good to see him have a great team against SJU after his poor outing against USC. SJU had top tier athletes. I am hoping Haarms can move more towards the star power direction as well. However, in my humble but highly accurate opinion, Lohner has star power and for BYU to be great it will really help for him to reach his potential. That might not be until next year but it is going to require him to get decent minutes to get there.

I must admit how surprised I am that Gorgeous George is as close to star power as he is. I also think that he and Lohner can play together.
    Last edited by Goatnapper'96; 12-04-2020, 08:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jay santos
    replied
    You will have to define what you mean by "poor play"? Is it because he hasn't scored a bunch of points? The lack of point production does not mean he has played poorly. I think he has played great for a true freshman. His hustle and defense is great.

7/21 shooting. 4.4 TO's per 40 minutes. Taking bad shots. Looks really uncomfortable on offense. Defensively and on the boards he's been great.

Leave a comment:

• tooblue
    replied
    Originally posted by jay santos View Post
    I'm starting to think Lohner's poor play reflects his readiness not just a rough start. He is completely lost on offense. He has the talent to be great. Not sure how long it's going to take to get there at the D1 level.

Last edited by tooblue; 12-03-2020, 11:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jay santos
    replied
    I'm starting to think Lohner's poor play reflects his readiness not just a rough start. He is completely lost on offense. He has the talent to be great. Not sure how long it's going to take to get there at the D1 level.

Leave a comment:

• tooblue
    replied
    Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
    After the first game BA was the player on the radio post game. GW asked him how he wanted his last name pronounced (two vs three syllable) since he's heard people use both. BA said he says it both ways and didn't actually know how it was supposed to be pronounced. When pressed by GW about his preference he said he preferred the two syllable version.

Starts at 15:30 here:

https://www.byuradio.org/episode/404...nster-postgame
    I find the whole three syllable pronunciation weird. It is not a French name (I speak French) and it is not even a Welsh name. It is an old English name.

Oh well, I hope his play causes announcers to spend more time learning how to pronounce it correctly.

Leave a comment:

• SCcoug
    replied
    There were stretches where Pope went with Barcello, Harding, Knell, George and a big on the floor. I think we will see more of that line up at important junctures in a game.

And why is it so hard to pronounce the name Averette? Utah county is full of Averetts without the 'e' at the end but it is pronounced the same. It's a family name, and I really do no understand why it is so damn hard to pronounce correctly?
    After the first game BA was the player on the radio post game. GW asked him how he wanted his last name pronounced (two vs three syllable) since he's heard people use both. BA said he says it both ways and didn't actually know how it was supposed to be pronounced. When pressed by GW about his preference he said he preferred the two syllable version.

Starts at 15:30 here:

https://www.byuradio.org/episode/404...nster-postgame

Leave a comment:

• tooblue
    replied
    Originally posted by Pelado View Post
    There were stretches where Pope went with Barcello, Harding, Knell, George and a big on the floor. I think we will see more of that line up at important junctures in a game.

And why is it so hard to pronounce the name Averette? Utah county is full of Averetts without the 'e' at the end but it is pronounced the same. It's a family name, and I really do no understand why it is so damn hard to pronounce correctly?
    Last edited by tooblue; 12-03-2020, 06:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Pelado
    replied
    https://twitter.com/CougarStats/stat...225312770?s=19

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• SCcoug
    replied
    In BB related covid news:

BYU plays at USU on Saturday.
    Last edited by SCcoug; 12-02-2020, 05:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X