Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BYU 2020-2021

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
    St. Mary’s can always and for ever more SAD


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wins against Saint Mary's are just more satisfying than against most other teams.

    In fairness, the first classy move I've seen from Bennett happened in this game when he called timeout with about a minute left to put in subs, essentially conceding the game. So then Pope was able to pull the seniors so they could get an ovation for their (possible) final home game.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

    Comment


    • BYU will play the winner of
      Pepperdine vs the winner of
      Pacific vs the winner of
      Santa Clara vs Portland

      Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

      Comment


      • BYU won their two games last week convincing enough to improve their various metrics. At this point in time they are about where they were last year, although given Yoeli's suspension and the injuries last year was still a better team. No arguing, IMO, that this team is the best BYU team I have seen in what one might reference "a rebuilding year." I think that indicates that Pope has his stuff together- certainly the changes in transfer rules makes it easier to rebound after graduating 7 seniors and all the productivity that made up last year's team but Pope took advantage of what was available to him and that is what matters most.

        Last year I think BYU was in a great position to be seeded consistent with their various metrics. I don't think that will be the case this year as BYU is without that singular statement win that gets attention as they got last year beating Gonzaga in the final regular season game. Without beat Gonzaga, I think BYU's seed ceiling is 7. If we take care of business in the WCC Semi convincingly, which I expect as I think BYU is just much better than all the other teams other than Gonzaga, and BYU can relatively compete with the Zags before losing by 10 or so points I think we can make it to a 7. I guess I should say that if we play the Zags well enough that it could be said honestly "BYU could have won" then perhaps we may squeak up to a 6 seed. If we struggle to win the semi and then get blown out by Zags then I think we come in at 8. If we lose the semi we drop to 9. If we pull out a miracle and beat the Zags then I think we could bounce as high as a 5.

        Fun to be in this spot. Mark Pope is one fine head basketball coach.
        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
        -General George S. Patton

        I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
        -DOCTOR Wuap

        Comment


        • i couldn't be more impressed with what pope has done this year with this group. i don't believe there is a coach in the country who could have had more success this year with these guys.
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

          Comment


          • I, for one, don't like what Pope has done and would not be sad to see him leave. I think it's about time for a huge recruiting/honor code scandal.

            Having said that, however, I would not mind seeing him coach at Utah. Assuming, of course, that Utah restarts the men's b-ball program.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Applejack View Post
              I, for one, don't like what Pope has done and would not be sad to see him leave. I think it's about time for a huge recruiting/honor code scandal.

              Having said that, however, I would not mind seeing him coach at Utah. Assuming, of course, that Utah restarts the men's b-ball program.
              I kind of feel bad for Kristowiak. I haven't watched Utah real closely the past few years, but when I did watch I thought he was a decent coach. I think the problem with his retention is that he actually *is* a good recruiter because he is honest. During the recruiting process parents likely approved of his message and that has influence on the kids. Then the kids got to Salt Lake and found out he really wasn't lying that it really was all about hard work, toughness and all those attributes that kids claim to believe in when they are in front of their parents. But once they get on their own they find out they don't believe in it near as much as they thought they did so they transfer away.

              I also liked how he picked up that kid from Utah State who was a junior in eligibility 3 days before the first Utah State game or whatever it was. Not only did it return AggieNation to their paradisiacal glory of string pulling, but it set up nicely when Utenation threw themselves on the floor and burned themselves in effigy because of Mark Pope's lack of integrity for bringing Lohner home. Out of curiosity does our old friend LA Ute! ever find any striking comparisons between what Krystowiak did in that particular situation to how Pope won back Lohner or does he just bloviate about the whispers he hears in shadows about Mark Pope? I am usually touched when Utenation expresses their deep sentiments on how BYU coaches break Utenation's staunchly held, at least with respect to BYU, codes of conduct.
              Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
              -General George S. Patton

              I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
              -DOCTOR Wuap

              Comment


              • BYU has had 8 different players lead the team in scoring so far this season - Barcello x 11, George x 2, Harding x 1, Averette x 3, Haarms x 3, Lohner x 2, Johnson x 1, Knell x 1.

                BYU has had 8 different players lead the team in rebounding so far this season - Harward x 3, Lohner x 11, George x 3, Averette x 1, Haarms x 2, Johnson x 1, Barcello x 2, Harding x 1.

                BYU has had 4 different players lead the team in assists so far this season - Lee x 1, Barcello x 14, Averette x 8, Haarms x 1.

                A lot of different guys have stepped up in different ways throughout the season.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

                Comment


                • I've compiled this same data from the bracket matrix before showing how remarkably close it usually comes to what BYU's actual seed is. If you believe in the idea of a BYU discount, consider the thought that the 100+ bracketologists bake it into the cake when putting their bracket together.

                  Typical Indy later down in the thread attempting to refute based on what the committee did to us 17 and 18 years ago. It's been a long time since that horrific event which predates the existence of the matrix. The process and criteria used are more transparent today and I think the matrix probably helps keep the committee from getting too far off base.


                  https://www.cougarboard.com/board/me...ml?id=25705585

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                    I've compiled this same data from the bracket matrix before showing how remarkably close it usually comes to what BYU's actual seed is. If you believe in the idea of a BYU discount, consider the thought that the 100+ bracketologists bake it into the cake when putting their bracket together.

                    Typical Indy later down in the thread attempting to refute based on what the committee did to us 17 and 18 years ago. It's been a long time since that horrific event which predates the existence of the matrix. The process and criteria used are more transparent today and I think the matrix probably helps keep the committee from getting too far off base.


                    https://www.cougarboard.com/board/me...ml?id=25705585
                    Interesting, so BYU right now is a 7 seed with a chance to move up to a 6?

                    and you are TCuz? I had no idea.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

                      Interesting, so BYU right now is a 7 seed with a chance to move up to a 6?

                      and you are TCuz? I had no idea.
                      Me neither, I thought Tcuz was like 20 years younger than BlueK

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post

                        Me neither, I thought Tcuz was like 20 years younger than BlueK
                        BlueK is Ted Cruz?

                        Didn't see that coming.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

                          Interesting, so BYU right now is a 7 seed with a chance to move up to a 6?

                          and you are TCuz? I had no idea.
                          I am not Tcuz. I used to post there under Bluek. You could probably search there and find almost the same analysis from me last season though. I was probably plagiarized but don't care. I am happy when false ideas around the ncaa tournament are dispelled. :-)
                          Last edited by BlueK; 03-05-2021, 10:55 AM.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by BlueK View Post

                            I am not Tcuz. I used to post there under Bluek. You could probably search there and find almost the same analysis from me last season though. I was probably plagiarized but don't care. I am happy when false ideas around the ncaa tournament are dispelled. :-)
                            So the question is: 7 seed? or 6? A 6 seed would be awesome, but I really doubt that happens. As long as we aren't in the dreaded 8-9 game I am ok.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

                              So the question is: 7 seed? or 6? A 6 seed would be awesome, but I really doubt that happens. As long as we aren't in the dreaded 8-9 game I am ok.
                              This site is another great reference. A team's record vs. each of the 4 quadrants is the most important of the criteria the committee uses. This makes it easy to compare how BYU stacks up. If you ask me, the #1 reason BYU fans get upset with the committee is when all they do is take BYU"s NET, rpi, or whatever other ranking and divide by 4. When the actual seed is higher they get mad. The committee only uses the NET to define the quadrants then they rank the teams on the s curve based on records vs. the quadrants. When you look at it that way, BYU'S seeds have usually been fair, or at least defensible.

                              http://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2021/net-nitty
                              Last edited by BlueK; 03-05-2021, 12:46 PM.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by BlueK View Post

                                This site is another great reference. A team's record vs. each of the 4 quadrants is the most important of the criteria the committee uses. This makes it easy to compare how BYU stacks up. If you ask me, the #1 reason BYU fans get upset with the committee is when all they do is take BYU"s NET, rpi, or whatever other ranking and divide by 4. When the actual seed is higher they get mad. The committee only uses the NET to define the quadrants then they rank the teams on the s curve based on records vs. the quadrants. When you look at it that way, BYU'S seeds have usually been fair, or at least defensible.

                                http://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2021/net-nitty
                                This site is pretty good for that, too: https://bracketologists.com/
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X