BYU Basketball 2023-2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post

I don't think so. I think he's referring to Nate Hansen, etc.
    Really dumb reason to quit.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
      When does the Chandler kid get back from his mission? I feel like he's been gone 3 years.
      I know! Can’t wait to see him play for the Utes!

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post

I know! Can’t wait to see him play for the Utes!
        Coach on the hotseat. Horrible fan support. Yeah, seems super likely.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Coach on the hotseat. Horrible fan support. Yeah, seems super likely.
          Those things can change quickly with a local superstar on the court. All of Utah’s basketball NIL money (hundreds of dollars) needs to be directed to
          Chandler.

Comment

Toolson is in the transfer portal:

https://www.deseret.com/2023/5/10/23...ransfer-portal

In Pope we trust?

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post

In Pope we trust?
              I don't like this tranfer. I think he was a good recruit who really developed late in HS and I still think he has a bright future as a college hoopster. Saying that, I recall and commented on the fact that bringing in 3 perimeter players all in the same year and all who were going to serve missions would be challenging. I had hoped one of the three would play a year as a true freshman out of HS and then go on a mission to stagger their arrival into the program. Especially, given the reality of the transfer portal and the lack of time young college players give situations.

On Cougarboard somebody close to Toolson came on line saying that they had said last year that if Toolsen was not part of the rotation he would transfer. We know the Toolsen family dumbly moved away from God's country of Twin Falls, ID and many of them settled into the greater Utah County area. They came connected with the Utah County HS/AAU/Club hoops scene. That community is none too pleased with Pope right now as he pulled scholarships for some of their favorite sons-Ericson and I think the other was a Hansen or Nelson or something very common in that area. I think the jaded tender feel feels of this community is why Wahlin is looking elsewhere.

So the situation of Tooolsen appears to be somebody from a community none too happy with Pope. Tanner comes home from his mission injured and struggles to get healthy. As a consequence he is not part of the rotation last year. Then he thinks he wants to ride it out to see how it develops for next year and his future at BYU. Then Pope recruits Dawson Baker to BYU. So Tanner is looking at his individual situation where he can see that the 4 wings BYU will play next year are Spencer Johnson, Jaxson Robinson, Ritchie Saunders and now Dawson Baker. He is savvy enough to figure out he will likely not be part of the rotation next year and the rotation only includes one Senior and the much ballyhooed Collin Chandler is returning from his mission and very well may be the one chose to replace the one graduating senior and thus Toolsen is not part of the rotation at BYU until his Junior year. With this reality of his individual playing time the noise from his family and the Utah County hoops community is Pope is bad-he played Dallin Hall who couldn't make free throws while redshirting you....blahblahblah. Personally, I think Pope did Toolsen a favor redshirting him as it preserved his eligibility should he transfer. He could have played Toolsen minimally and used up that year of eligibility. Toolsen was not forced out-he chose to leave and as far as I can tell it is because he, and his posse per the whining family/friend on Cougarboard, do not feel the promises Pope told him during the recruiting period are being fulfilled.

So when asking about Pope in this specific situation I think there are 3 things we can evaluate: 1.) Telling Toolsen he would be a valued part of the team when recruiting him. 2.) Not playing Tanner as part of the rotation as an injured RM and 3.) Recruiting Dawson Baker.

In all 3 situations I cannot conclude Pope made the wrong decision. I just think the timing of Tanner's injury and the logjam at the wing position and Tanner's individual unwillingness to see it through combined in our modern age of the transfer portal and Tanner is leaving looking for a better situation for him. This is not a situation where a returning rotational player is leaving. A player is transferring out who likely would not have played much the next 2 years. Perhaps Tanner will develop into a better player than Saunders or Chandler or Robinson or even Dawson Baker, but can anyone fairly fault Pope for how he treated Toolsen and for recruiting Dawson Baker?
              Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
              -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
              -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

In Pope we trust?
                Also with this transfer portal news, and the rumors of Wahlin looking elsewhere-that gives BYU one more scholarship for next year which I hope goes to a 4. If BYU can find another 4 and the roster ends up being:

1.) Ques G-Lover- SR
                2.) Spencer Johnson - SR
                3.) Waterman - SR
                4.) Trevin Knell- JR
                5.) Fous- JR
                6.) Atiki- JR
                7.) Khalifa - JR
                8.) Baker- JR
                9.) Stewart - JR
                10.) Robinson - JR
                11.) Hall - SO
                12.) Saunders - SO
                13.) New Recruit who plays the 4- Unknown

I think this balances the roster as far as positions. The roster would now be 5 front court players (Waterman, Fous, Atiki, Khalfia and new recruit) and 8 backcourt players, with perhaps Robinson playing the 4 when BYU goes small. However, having no freshman and 7 juniors is not good scholarship allocation, but in this era of the transfer portal I am not sure situations such as this can be avoided very easily. It could be real ugly if the new recruit ends up being a JR in eligibility. While it makes for a decently experienced team to have 11/13 scholarship players as Juniors and Seniors, it makes the future a bit bleak if there are not some transfers out of the crop of this year's juniors who won't play much (Stewart and Knell).

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

I don't like this tranfer. I think he was a good recruit who really developed late in HS and I still think he has a bright future as a college hoopster. Saying that, I recall and commented on the fact that bringing in 3 perimeter players all in the same year and all who were going to serve missions would be challenging. I had hoped one of the three would play a year as a true freshman out of HS and then go on a mission to stagger their arrival into the program. Especially, given the reality of the transfer portal and the lack of time young college players give situations.

On Cougarboard somebody close to Toolson came on line saying that they had said last year that if Toolsen was not part of the rotation he would transfer. We know the Toolsen family dumbly moved away from God's country of Twin Falls, ID and many of them settled into the greater Utah County area. They came connected with the Utah County HS/AAU/Club hoops scene. That community is none too pleased with Pope right now as he pulled scholarships for some of their favorite sons-Ericson and I think the other was a Hansen or Nelson or something very common in that area. I think the jaded tender feel feels of this community is why Wahlin is looking elsewhere.

So the situation of Tooolsen appears to be somebody from a community none too happy with Pope. Tanner comes home from his mission injured and struggles to get healthy. As a consequence he is not part of the rotation last year. Then he thinks he wants to ride it out to see how it develops for next year and his future at BYU. Then Pope recruits Dawson Baker to BYU. So Tanner is looking at his individual situation where he can see that the 4 wings BYU will play next year are Spencer Johnson, Jaxson Robinson, Ritchie Saunders and now Dawson Baker. He is savvy enough to figure out he will likely not be part of the rotation next year and the rotation only includes one Senior and the much ballyhooed Collin Chandler is returning from his mission and very well may be the one chose to replace the one graduating senior and thus Toolsen is not part of the rotation at BYU until his Junior year. With this reality of his individual playing time the noise from his family and the Utah County hoops community is Pope is bad-he played Dallin Hall who couldn't make free throws while redshirting you....blahblahblah. Personally, I think Pope did Toolsen a favor redshirting him as it preserved his eligibility should he transfer. He could have played Toolsen minimally and used up that year of eligibility. Toolsen was not forced out-he chose to leave and as far as I can tell it is because he, and his posse per the whining family/friend on Cougarboard, do not feel the promises Pope told him during the recruiting period are being fulfilled.

So when asking about Pope in this specific situation I think there are 3 things we can evaluate: 1.) Telling Toolsen he would be a valued part of the team when recruiting him. 2.) Not playing Tanner as part of the rotation as an injured RM and 3.) Recruiting Dawson Baker.

In all 3 situations I cannot conclude Pope made the wrong decision. I just think the timing of Tanner's injury and the logjam at the wing position and Tanner's individual unwillingness to see it through combined in our modern age of the transfer portal and Tanner is leaving looking for a better situation for him. This is not a situation where a returning rotational player is leaving. A player is transferring out who likely would not have played much the next 2 years. Perhaps Tanner will develop into a better player than Saunders or Chandler or Robinson or even Dawson Baker, but can anyone fairly fault Pope for how he treated Toolsen and for recruiting Dawson Baker?
                  It's time to start looking for the Dave Rose on his current coaching staff.

Comment

In Pope we trust?
                    Is he friends with Chandler? IF so, we'd love to welcome him.

Comment

At some point, I think the value that arises from having the same players together multiple years will be greater than chasing a year or two of talent from the portal. Especially for a team like BYU.
                      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Jake Wahlin has officially signed with Utah.

BYU has one more scholarship available for 23-24.

As of now BYU does not have a freshman on the roster.

Scholarship Players;

Ques Glover- SR
                        Spencer Johnson - SR
                        Noah Waterman - SR
                        Jaxon Robinson- JR
                        Trey Stewart- JR
                        Fouss Traore- JR
                        Atiki Atiki- JR
                        Dawson Baker- JR
                        Aly Khalifa- JR
                        Trevin Knell- JR
                        Dallin Hall- SO
                        Richie Saunders- SO

I know it is crazy to be concerned about future years in this day and age, but 7 Juniors in eligibility on the roster portends for a very bad year or two on the horizon.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Jake Wahlin has officially signed with Utah.

Scholarship Players;

Ques Glover- SR
                          Spencer Johnson - SR
                          Noah Waterman - SR
                          Jaxon Robinson- JR
                          Trey Stewart- JR
                          Fouss Traore- JR
                          Atiki Atiki- JR
                          Dawson Baker- JR
                          Aly Khalifa- JR
                          Trevin Knell- JR
                          Dallin Hall- SO
                          Richie Saunders- SO

I know it is crazy to be concerned about future years in this day and age, but 7 Juniors in eligibility on the roster portends for a very bad year or two on the horizon.
                          and that's after a pretty bad year last year and despite some solid additions, what will likely be a rough first year in the big 12. it's an improved roster, not a big 12 caliber roster. having a rough year in the big 12 as a newcomer doesn't necessarily mean bad year, hence my choice of words matters.
                          I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

Comment

Jake

J. Addison Mens Basketball on Instagram: “And then there were 4. Stay Tuned!!.”

Is this our guy for that last spot?

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                              I hope he is. From what little I can gather reading on the internet he sounds like a really good prospect. He is from Guinea and transferred to a Canadian HS for his senior year-so he has had limited opportunities for visibility. Clearly, he has an offer from Oregon so Pope is not the only coach of a legit program in a big time college hoops conference who thinks the kid is worthy of a scholarship. I watched some film I found on him and he looks like an NBA athlete-I thought the BYU website who compared him to Gideon George was pretty accurate. Although, I think he is physically bigger and stronger than George while still being as explosive. I have no clue what his offensive skills are-he looked to handle the ball fine but I can't tell if that means he handles the ball well or if he handled it well enough for his dominating athleticism, in comparison to the opposing Canuck HS players, to take over. No clue how that will translate to the proverbial "next level." However, if he goes to BYU my guess is he will clearly be the best all around athlete on the team. I would expect he would play 10-20 mpg on BYU's team next year at the 4 as I expect he would be more than capable of defending, obviously he will be limited by experience but he has the God given athleticism that just can't be taught, just about any 4 BYU faces. Likely would be very raw on offense but I would think his athletic ability would probably get him a bucket or two per game if he averages 15 minutes per game. The reports call his position a wing so in time he might also be able to play the 3 for BYU, but I think BYU has plenty of those on the roster for next year that my expectation would be he is pretty exclusively a 4 for next year should he choose BYU. I am hopeful that if Pope lands him between he and Waterman BYU could get 30 mpg out of the 2 and hopefully average 10 ppg/7 rpg between the 2 and then Atiki could redshirt and decrease the huge number of guys exiting the program after the 24-25 season.

He could also be a pretty decent foundational piece moving forward after this massive class of Juniors exhausts their eligibility if Pope can keep him around and he develops. Hopefully, that keeps BYU from nosediving again.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

I hope he is. From what little I can gather reading on the internet he sounds like a really good prospect. He is from Guinea and transferred to a Canadian HS for his senior year-so he has had limited opportunities for visibility. Clearly, he has an offer from Oregon so Pope is not the only coach of a legit program in a big time college hoops conference who thinks the kid is worthy of a scholarship. I watched some film I found on him and he looks like an NBA athlete-I thought the BYU website who compared him to Gideon George was pretty accurate. Although, I think he is physically bigger and stronger than George while still being as explosive. I have no clue what his offensive skills are-he looked to handle the ball fine but I can't tell if that means he handles the ball well or if he handled it well enough for his dominating athleticism, in comparison to the opposing Canuck HS players, to take over. No clue how that will translate to the proverbial "next level." However, if he goes to BYU my guess is he will clearly be the best all around athlete on the team. I would expect he would play 10-20 mpg on BYU's team next year at the 4 as I expect he would be more than capable of defending, obviously he will be limited by experience but he has the God given athleticism that just can't be taught, just about any 4 BYU faces. Likely would be very raw on offense but I would think his athletic ability would probably get him a bucket or two per game if he averages 15 minutes per game. The reports call his position a wing so in time he might also be able to play the 3 for BYU, but I think BYU has plenty of those on the roster for next year that my expectation would be he is pretty exclusively a 4 for next year should he choose BYU. I am hopeful that if Pope lands him between he and Waterman BYU could get 30 mpg out of the 2 and hopefully average 10 ppg/7 rpg between the 2 and then Atiki could redshirt and decrease the huge number of guys exiting the program after the 24-25 season.

He could also be a pretty decent foundational piece moving forward after this massive class of Juniors exhausts their eligibility if Pope can keep him around and he develops. Hopefully, that keeps BYU from nosediving again.
                                I have heard some talk about him. He is legitimately what can be referred to as raw talent. The issue is how much quality coaching has he received? From my vantage point, not a lot. The talent level in high school here is comparable to anywhere. The problem is, the coaching isn't comparable. It is full of "basketball guys" who think they know their stuff but in reality, not so much. Teams will get run by US teams mostly due to coaching.

Wherever he goes, that will be the biggest challenge for him. Adjusting to the coaching can be hard, especially for players who have been getting by on talent and athleticism. It isn't much different for US based players (Last Chance U Basketball), but not for the same reasons. Many are blindsided by the expectations and how much hard work is required to get better week-to-week. And they have no concept of the reality that there could be four other guys on your own team that are just as if not more athletic and naturally gifted than you. Let alone facing opponents who have truly game-planned for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X