No announcement yet.

BYU Basketball 2023-2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This team captured my attention which is something BYU basketball has struggled with for the last couple of years. I couldn't have been more impressed with last night's second-half performance. This tournament showed that the BYU team has moxy. Moxy is something I think the last couple of teams have lacked.

Most of all I am impressed with Pope. Somehow he has managed to cobble together a team that is responding to his leadership. I'm sure there will be hard times this season but this team will be fun to watch.

Last night was incredible from a BYU sports fan standpoint.

Comment

• I was a Khalifa doubter and my son kept reminding me of that last night. Hopefully he can get healthy. He has a lot of potential upside.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
        I was a Khalifa doubter and my son kept reminding me of that last night. Hopefully he can get healthy. He has a lot of potential upside.
        I just hope we keep getting BFM's rants about Khalifa, they are great.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

He still looks like Montomery Burns with those hanging down limp wrists when he runs.
          MrBurnsLimpWrist.jpg
          I get more of a Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz vibe. Especially with the headband.

Heinz_Doofenshmirtz_2.png

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Any of you doubters ready to admit you were wrong? This team is for real.

The Egyptian really stepped up tonight. That was clutch. He looked gassed but he was solid.
            For sure. And count me as doubly surprised that they’re doing it with guys who were on the roster last year.
            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

I'm still in the doubter camp about Khalifa. I'm glad he had good contributions last night but he also happened to be guarding one of the few players in all of D1 that is fatter than him. That big man from NC State also has good passing skills, just like Khalifa does. So Khalifa did OK against what was essentially his carbon copy as a player. I'm happy for the good game but I'm not ready to go all-in on him yet.
              That NC State player was honorable mention all-ACC last year. Lol @ your double down.

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
              He still looks like Montomery Burns with those hanging down limp wrists when he runs. He's still gassed after a couple trips up and down the court, he still doesn't like to post up and when he does post up he doesn't demonstrate any post moves other than passing (which I acknowledge he is good at).

As I stated in my previous post:

Those three criteria (shed pounds, run better, demonstrate some post moves) haven't been met yet so I'm still a doubter but I don't hate the guy - just think his game needs a whole lot of improvement.
              He has been injured and wasn't even expected to play last night. And he hardly got any breaks. Of course he is going to look gassed at times. But he was solid.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Any update on Traore's injury?
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Safety is playing so far back and LBs playing up to stop the run, BYU is basically conceding the middle of the field to the slot receiver on multiple plays.

EDIT: Oops - wrong thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                    Any update on Traore's injury?
                    I have nothing. Pope said in postgame that it would be a couple of days before we find out. That didn't make me feel very good.
                    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• On Reddit I've been enjoying seeing the daily "Unbeaten Teams" map which shows the "Closest Undefeated Team to Each US County." This is especially fun this year since BYU is still undefeated and has a large amount of "land" in this map. The B12 is well represented! I did not create this. It is created by Joey Loose.

CBB Unbeaten Teams 2023-11-25 v2.png
                      "Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react." - Charles Swindoll

Comment

• Here are some fun stats from CBB Analytics showing where BYU fits in the B12 in various team stat categories. You want to be in the top right quadrant in each one.

B12 Effective FG Percent 2023-11-26.png

B12 OR Percentage 2023-11-26.png

B12 TO Percentage 2023-11-26.png

B12 FT Attempt Rate 2023-11-26.png

Comment

• These two are showing our offensive and defensive heat maps. The size of the hexagons is the frequency of that shot location and the color is how well we are doing compared to the D1 average.

BYU Offensive Heat Map 2023-11-26.png

BYU Defensive Heat Map 2023-11-26.png

Comment

• This is one of my favorite graphs. It shows the "assiter --> scorer combinations." So our highest combination for assists is Spencer Johnson passing to Foos Traore. The numbers on the left info graph are the jersey numbers.

BYU Assister - Scorer Combinations 2023-11-26 v2.png

Comment

• Ok, last one...for now. Here's how our individual players are stacking up against other B12 players. Ok, this is part 1 since attachments are limited to 5, lol.

B12 Usage Pct vs TS% 2023-11-26.png

B12 OR vs DR Pct 2023-11-26.png

B12 2PAs Per 40 Mins vs 2P% 2023-11-26.png

Comment

• B12 3PAs Per 40 Mins vs 3PA% 2023-11-26.png

B12 Asst vs TO Pct 2023-11-26.png

B12 Block vs Steal Pct 2023-11-26.png

Comment

Working...
                                X