2022-2023 Basketball Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post

no. wasn't even that good in hs. don't get your hopes up.
    He is one I can't quite figure out. They play him as a 2 but he doesn't show much ability to shoot. He is a great natural athlete whose dad is a basketball coach-but he isn't a good basketball player-more athlete than baller. I read where Lebowski commented that in many ways he likes the 2nd team better than the 1st. This is the first year of rebuilding in the Pope tenure. He went after upperclassmen transfer portals the past 2 years in efforts to keep the train rolling. It worked out well enough in season 2 with Haarms, but last year it didn't work out so well. From what I can tell this year is really dedicated to developing his younger players-perhaps he will tighten his rotation in time but I think he is committed to playing 10. Of those 10, I don't think it is going to work out for Trey Stewart. I do think every other player he is playing this year who has eligibility for next year will be back and will be part of his rotation. I also wonder about Trevin Knell as well. Obviously, Pope liked him more than others before this injury, but I can see Trevin never having much of a role again.

Before seeing Hall play I thought Pope would go get another SR transfer PG after this season, but that likely won't happen. Hall is good and will be the likely starter or at least at a minimum he is going to play at least half the game-no good SR transfer is coming to BYU to only play 20 mpg and share the PG with Hall. If Rudi Johnson knew how good Hall was I doubt he would have transferred to BYU. I do wonder who will be the back up PG next year, but a primary ball handler is not a need to go find in the off season. Right now the bigger need for next year is depth in the post. I think Atiki will likely be a pretty good player next year and Fouss will have some great strengths but his limitations aren't going away. I expect Pope to find a post for next either a late bloomer who is another developmental project or a JC transfer. If nobody transfers out that would fill up the roster. I still expect somebody to transfer out but it is my hope of all hopes that those are limited to 2 or less (I do think between Knell and Stewart there might be some superfluous wing players on the roster) next year and we get a chance to finally see some continuity with Pope's recruits and what he can do when he isn't playing so many key players without experience with him.

My hope is next year BYU goes with a rotation that includes:

Dallin Hall
    Spencer Johnson
    Jaxson Robinson
    Fouss
    Atiki
    Waterman
    Ritchie Saunders
    Tanner Toolson
    Trey Stewart or Trevin Knell

I think by next year the best 5 might be:

Hall, Johnson, Saunders, Jaxson, Atiki with Fouss, Waterman, Tanner Toolson and one other off the bench.

Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

He is one I can't quite figure out. They play him as a 2 but he doesn't show much ability to shoot. He is a great natural athlete whose dad is a basketball coach-but he isn't a good basketball player-more athlete than baller. I read where Lebowski commented that in many ways he likes the 2nd team better than the 1st. This is the first year of rebuilding in the Pope tenure. He went after upperclassmen transfer portals the past 2 years in efforts to keep the train rolling. It worked out well enough in season 2 with Haarms, but last year it didn't work out so well. From what I can tell this year is really dedicated to developing his younger players-perhaps he will tighten his rotation in time but I think he is committed to playing 10. Of those 10, I don't think it is going to work out for Trey Stewart. I do think every other player he is playing this year who has eligibility for next year will be back and will be part of his rotation. I also wonder about Trevin Knell as well. Obviously, Pope liked him more than others before this injury, but I can see Trevin never having much of a role again.

Before seeing Hall play I thought Pope would go get another SR transfer PG after this season, but that likely won't happen. Hall is good and will be the likely starter or at least at a minimum he is going to play at least half the game-no good SR transfer is coming to BYU to only play 20 mpg and share the PG with Hall. If Rudi Johnson knew how good Hall was I doubt he would have transferred to BYU. I do wonder who will be the back up PG next year, but a primary ball handler is not a need to go find in the off season. Right now the bigger need for next year is depth in the post. I think Atiki will likely be a pretty good player next year and Fouss will have some great strengths but his limitations aren't going away. I expect Pope to find a post for next either a late bloomer who is another developmental project or a JC transfer. If nobody transfers out that would fill up the roster. I still expect somebody to transfer out but it is my hope of all hopes that those are limited to 2 or less (I do think between Knell and Stewart there might be some superfluous wing players on the roster) next year and we get a chance to finally see some continuity with Pope's recruits and what he can do when he isn't playing so many key players without experience with him.

My hope is next year BYU goes with a rotation that includes:

Dallin Hall
      Spencer Johnson
      Jaxson Robinson
      Fouss
      Atiki
      Waterman
      Ritchie Saunders
      Tanner Toolson
      Trey Stewart or Trevin Knell

I think by next year the best 5 might be:

Hall, Johnson, Saunders, Jaxson, Atiki with Fouss, Waterman, Tanner Toolson and one other off the bench.
      Stewart has been great. His slashing, passing and defence have been fantastic. He earned more minutes, and played well down the stretch to help close out the game. Opposing teams don't have an answer for his athleticism, and the coaching staff needs to continue to pick their spots with him—his speed changes the game for the other team defensively.

Knell's days are numbered. He should never have gotten the minutes he got in the first place.

Dallin Hall puts the coaching staff in pickle. He is perfect in his current role, but in truth probably should be starting. Rudi appears to be an ill fit for this team, but it is still too early to make any definitive decision. In fairness, Robinson hasn't been much better. They are both too turnover prone. Just gotta hope Rudi can build on his latest performance, and that the first unit jells like the second unit has. But we are only three games in. Gotta wait it out a little longer.
      Last edited by tooblue; 11-21-2022, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• I'm not getting all the Dallin Hall love I see here. He might turn out to be a good player some day, but he's nowhere near that yet. His FG% this season is .385 and he hasn't made 3-pointer yet. His assist to turnover is 2:1, which is good for a non-PG but not great for a PG. I like that he plays in control, but he's not an elite athlete and doesn't seem to be able to create his own shot. Rudi has been a turnover machine and has been a disappointment, but I think it's way too early to pronounce Dallin Hall as the solution to our PG problem.
        "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
          I'm not getting all the Dallin Hall love I see here. He might turn out to be a good player some day, but he's nowhere near that yet. His FG% this season is .385 and he hasn't made 3-pointer yet. His assist to turnover is 2:1, which is good for a non-PG but not great for a PG. I like that he plays in control, but he's not an elite athlete and doesn't seem to be able to create his own shot. Rudi has been a turnover machine and has been a disappointment, but I think it's way too early to pronounce Dallin Hall as the solution to our PG problem.
          I remember a shot he created that was pretty cool.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• The first half was good but too many turnovers. The first seventeenish minutes of the second half were mostly garbage (though with fewer turnovers). The last three minutes were entertaining but they were down too much by that time to have any realistic chance of getting the W.

Edit: Now in the consolation bracket, playing the loser of Tennessee-Butler tomorrow at 4:30 pm MT on ESPN3.
            Last edited by Pelado; 11-23-2022, 05:22 PM.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• 17 turnovers. Progress I guess.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                The first half was good but too many turnovers. The first seventeenish minutes of the second half were mostly garbage (though with fewer turnovers). The last three minutes were entertaining but they were down too much by that time to have any realistic chance of getting the W.

Edit: Now in the consolation bracket, playing the loser of Tennessee-Butler tomorrow at 4:30 pm MT on ESPN3.
                I tuned in for the first 15 minutes of the second half.
                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Wow! What a comeback. Down 32-9 in the first half. Came back to win in OT.

Nice to come home on a happy note. Hopefully they can build on this.

Comment

• Thanks, Dayton!
                    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                      Thanks, Dayton!
                      Excellent.

While I would have hoped for at least one more win, this hasn't been that bad of a trip in terms of team developement. The uptick in competition allowed them to gauge where they stand, which is not that bad. Robinson seems to be shooting better, which is going to be key for this team. Bringing in all these transfers, and two of the starting, is a real challenge. As someone said on twitter, if all these early season losses bring wins in the WCC and WCC tournament, then great.
                      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          lol

How does an algorithm predict near 100% chance of losing midway through the first half? Or maybe it's just some 20-year-old pulling poop out of her/his butt.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post

Excellent.

While I would have hoped for at least one more win, this hasn't been that bad of a trip in terms of team developement. The uptick in competition allowed them to gauge where they stand, which is not that bad. Robinson seems to be shooting better, which is going to be key for this team. Bringing in all these transfers, and two of the starting, is a real challenge. As someone said on twitter, if all these early season losses bring wins in the WCC and WCC tournament, then great.
                            It was great to see them fight through with the comeback and win today. They seem to be figuring out how to play together much better after these last three.

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post

lol

How does an algorithm predict near 100% chance of losing midway through the first half? Or maybe it's just some 20-year-old pulling poop out of her/his butt.
                              Statistics and probability, sir. Wins after a 23-point deficit are rare.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Statistics and probability, sir. Wins after a 23-point deficit are rare.
                                But not when BYU is either playing Dayton, or playing in Dayton!

Go Cougars!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X