BYU Womens Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

Trent was the PG of the 2001 team that won the MWC tourney and then was destroyed by Bob Huggins' Cinc squad with Kevin Logan in round 1 of the tourney.

Trent was a stud HS baller at Kuna High in the early 90's. He went on his mission out of HS and then went to play at Snow where he was a JC AA. He then signed with the Utes and was the heir apparent to Andre Miller, except he wasn't. He was a score first PG and that style didn't jive well with the savant round of basketball knowledge found prowling the sidelines at the U in those days. In addition to their differences in style preference Trent was struggling with the intensity and length of Majors' practices. He was injured and claimed the problem was caused by the practice length. He transferred mid season to the BYU and then after waiting a year became eligible mid-December 2000. He thought about appealing for another year but just elected to go pro in Europe after his senior year at BYU. He had a very successful and long career over in Europe. He then moved back to the states and took an accounting job in some big Ag company in Burley. He coached the boys for a few years-thru his older son's HS eligibility. His wife coached the girls and parlayed her success and dominance over such Southern Idaho powers as Mini-Doka, Canyon Ridge, Shelly and Middleton into the gig at the BYU. Amber Whiting was also a player at Snow and then transferred to Weber State when Trent went to the U. She also then transferred into the BYU when Trent did.

Amari is a stud. I have seen her play a couple of times and she is a fabulous HS hoopster. She has been very, very active in AAU circuits for years so the ranking of her so high is legit and based upon her performance versus other HS studs in AAU competition.

I liked Trent as a player. He was balding and had that common RM look of BYU players where they are great shooters but limited athletically. Trent was a good D1 athlete. BYU used to throw alley oops to him on out of bounds plays and he could sky up and get the ball-he had great hands. I always thought he could have been a good WR or S had he played football.

Too bad about Shaylee-had she stuck around the Y could have been exceptional her senior year with both her and Amari in the backcourt. I would never project Amari to be better, or even as good, as Shaylee just because I never believe in projecting even highly recruited players to be All-Americans as Shaylee is, but Amari is an absolute stud on both sides of the court. Aggressive and relentless on defense and athletic and balanced on offense.

You carrot snappers ought to thank God Idaho is here for you!
    Great summary. Thanks for taking the time to write that.

Comment

Trent was the PG of the 2001 team that won the MWC tourney and then was destroyed by Bob Huggins' Cinc squad with Kevin Logan in round 1 of the tourney.

Trent was a stud HS baller at Kuna High in the early 90's. He went on his mission out of HS and then went to play at Snow where he was a JC AA. He then signed with the Utes and was the heir apparent to Andre Miller, except he wasn't. He was a score first PG and that style didn't jive well with the savant round of basketball knowledge found prowling the sidelines at the U in those days. In addition to their differences in style preference Trent was struggling with the intensity and length of Majors' practices. He was injured and claimed the problem was caused by the practice length. He transferred mid season to the BYU and then after waiting a year became eligible mid-December 2000. He thought about appealing for another year but just elected to go pro in Europe after his senior year at BYU. He had a very successful and long career over in Europe. He then moved back to the states and took an accounting job in some big Ag company in Burley. He coached the boys for a few years-thru his older son's HS eligibility. His wife coached the girls and parlayed her success and dominance over such Southern Idaho powers as Mini-Doka, Canyon Ridge, Shelly and Middleton into the gig at the BYU. Amber Whiting was also a player at Snow and then transferred to Weber State when Trent went to the U. She also then transferred into the BYU when Trent did.

Amari is a stud. I have seen her play a couple of times and she is a fabulous HS hoopster. She has been very, very active in AAU circuits for years so the ranking of her so high is legit and based upon her performance versus other HS studs in AAU competition.

I liked Trent as a player. He was balding and had that common RM look of BYU players where they are great shooters but limited athletically. Trent was a good D1 athlete. BYU used to throw alley oops to him on out of bounds plays and he could sky up and get the ball-he had great hands. I always thought he could have been a good WR or S had he played football.

Too bad about Shaylee-had she stuck around the Y could have been exceptional her senior year with both her and Amari in the backcourt. I would never project Amari to be better, or even as good, as Shaylee just because I never believe in projecting even highly recruited players to be All-Americans as Shaylee is, but Amari is an absolute stud on both sides of the court. Aggressive and relentless on defense and athletic and balanced on offense.

You carrot snappers ought to thank God Idaho is here for you!
      man, i love me some GN. Cincy's logan, man (actually steve, but close enough!). now that's a name from the past. one of those great college pgs who just didn't have the game or the size to succeed at the next level. but so good at cincy.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post

man, i love me some GN. Cincy's logan, man (actually steve, but close enough!). now that's a name from the past. one of those great college pgs who just didn't have the game or the size to succeed at the next level. but so good at cincy.
        I think you are correct, Kevin Logan played at that pussy ass privileged rich kids school, Westlake High School, in the mid-late 1980's. When we were scheduled to play the Warriors at their gym in 1988 the busses were 1.5 hours late. I was on the our soph/C team that year and our game went to double OT. By the time we got to the second OT the gym was absolutely packed. In addition to Logan the pussy ass rich kids had some other D1 caliber player and so all of the Southern California was interested in how the Warriors would deal with Donie Mac, Larry Delaitre's son and future USAFA long range bomber Boooooch Hawking. Additionally, the rich pussy Warrior faithful knew that if they could pull out the win in the C game it would likely be their only win of the night. We had come back from a 9 point deficit in the last 3 minutes to force OT. While they had a lead their PG was some rich Arab kid who was talking trash to me at the free throw line-this was the 4th time we had played them that year with us winning the previous 3. He would say "I have no idea how you ever beat us....yadda yada yada." When we won in double OT I beelined for that kid clapping as loud as I could. Their coach came up behind me and took me down with a fairly violent headlock screaming "Get outa my players face!" Our star center then knocks the shit out of their HC as the headlock just went limp and I look up to see Hood straddling their coach letting him know "He wasn't in his elf's face!" Bedlam breaks out- well as much as privileged trust fund pussies can get, and the admin shutters us off to the visitors locker room. Their fans sprayed us with their high end expensive concession cups as our Center was trying to climb up the chain link fencing that went along the outer edge of their bleachers, keeping kids from running underneath I assume, to get at their fans. It was great and then both our JV and Varsity teams cruised to 20+ point victories. It was great being the poor kid from the hood that night!
        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
        -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

I think you are correct, Kevin Logan played at that pussy ass privileged rich kids school, Westlake High School, in the mid-late 1980's. When we were scheduled to play the Warriors at their gym in 1988 the busses were 1.5 hours late. I was on the our soph/C team that year and our game went to double OT. By the time we got to the second OT the gym was absolutely packed. In addition to Logan the pussy ass rich kids had some other D1 caliber player and so all of the Southern California was interested in how the Warriors would deal with Donie Mac, Larry Delaitre's son and future USAFA long range bomber Boooooch Hawking. Additionally, the rich pussy Warrior faithful knew that if they could pull out the win in the C game it would likely be their only win of the night. We had come back from a 9 point deficit in the last 3 minutes to force OT. While they had a lead their PG was some rich Arab kid who was talking trash to me at the free throw line-this was the 4th time we had played them that year with us winning the previous 3. He would say "I have no idea how you ever beat us....yadda yada yada." When we won in double OT I beelined for that kid clapping as loud as I could. Their coach came up behind me and took me down with a fairly violent headlock screaming "Get outa my players face!" Our star center then knocks the shit out of their HC as the headlock just went limp and I look up to see Hood straddling their coach letting him know "He wasn't in his elf's face!" Bedlam breaks out- well as much as privileged trust fund pussies can get, and the admin shutters us off to the visitors locker room. Their fans sprayed us with their high end expensive concession cups as our Center was trying to climb up the chain link fencing that went along the outer edge of their bleachers, keeping kids from running underneath I assume, to get at their fans. It was great and then both our JV and Varsity teams cruised to 20+ point victories. It was great being the poor kid from the hood that night!
          Great story.

Comment

Post of the year!

Comment

Awesome.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

troll. Donnie mac's kid, Kyle, was a Westlake Senior this past season....how bout them apples.
                  Last edited by Flystripper; 08-01-2022, 11:25 AM.
                  Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post

troll. Donnie mac's kid, Kyle, was a Westlake Senior this past season....how bout them apples.
                    So was Gil Carillo's kid, who I think went D1 throwing the discus and one of my old HS buddies, Michelle Light-Starts coaches soccer there and both her daughters were All-CIF.

How the mighty have fallen.

Isaam Ibrahim still had alligator tears...........

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                    -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

So was Gil Carillo's kid, who I think went D1 throwing the discus and one of my old HS buddies, Michelle Light-Starts coaches soccer there and both her daughters were All-CIF.

How the mighty have fallen.

Isaam Ibrahim still had alligator tears...........
                      Don't worry, Gil has already told me he is sending his soon to be 8th grade daughter to Simi next year (they still live in Simi). Kyle Carillo, his son, was the #2 discuss thrower in the state (he threw it 200' 1") when he was a senior at Westlake. He opted to go to prom instead of attend the California State Track and Field Championships.

My wife is the sprints coach at Westlake and begged Gil to help her manage the crowds. He was the sprints coach when my oldest was a freshman. He obliged. She had 100 kids who joined the track team to avoid having to take PE. Maybe 10-15 were actual sprinters. 300 repeats took care of some of the crowds but you can't do that every day and it is amazing what a kid will do to avoid PE. He was super helpful managing so many kids during practice. We have a year to convince him to bring his daughter to Westlake.
                      Last edited by Flystripper; 08-01-2022, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Don't worry, Gill has already told me he is sending his soon to be 8th grade daughter to Simi next year (they still live in Simi). Kyle Carillo, his son, was the #2 discuss thrower in the state (he threw it 200' 1") when he was a senior at Westlake. He opted to go to prom instead of attend the California State Track and Field Championships.

My wife is the sprints coach at Westlake and begged Gill to help her manage the crowds. He was the sprints coach when my oldest was a freshman. He obliged. She had 100 kids who joined the track team to avoid having to take PE. Maybe 10-15 were actual sprinters. 300 repeats took care of some of the crowds but you can't do that every day and it is amazing what a kid will do to avoid PE. He was super helpful managing so many kids during practice. We have a year to convince him to bring his daughter to Westlake.
                        Gil's dad was my first track coach. He was coming off leading Simi Vikings track club in setting TAC/AAU records in all 3 relays. He was a great coach. Gil will remember that team well- the Rast twins, Danny Cross and Tony Kerr. They were all Gil's year- same class as Donnie Mac and Larry Deltaitre's boy. Danny was a good HS 400 runner but the rest quit track as either FR or SO. Gil's dad would time every stretch and made us run 352s, exactly 1/5 of a mile, until we puked. I really learned a great deal from him that year. I still use many of the same pyramids I learned running track under Nelson Carillo.

Good to hear he is keeping his daughter away from all you pretentious sonsofbitches!

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Gil's dad was my first track coach. He was coming off leading Simi Vikings track club in setting TAC/AAU records in all 3 relays. He was a great coach. Gil will remember that team well- the Rast twins, Danny Cross and Tony Kerr. They were all Gil's year- same class as Donnie Mac and Larry Deltaitre's boy. Danny was a good HS 400 runner but the rest quit track as either FR or SO. Gil's dad would time every stretch and made us run 352s, exactly 1/5 of a mile, until we puked. I really learned a great deal from him that year. I still use many of the same pyramids I learned running track under Nelson Carillo.

Good to hear he is keeping his daughter away from all you pretentious sonsofbitches!

Comment

It has been so long but is there now a more direct route from Agoura/Westlake area to Simi? I thought I heard that there is now a highway through the Oak Park area into Simi Valley. Back in my day the route to Westlake from Simi required us to go on Tierra Rejada to Moorpark, jump on some highway (maybe 14 or something) to go south to the 101 near the TO Mall. Then we would go south towards the San Fernando Valley and get off at Westlake. It was about 30 minutes of driving-depending on where you lived in Simi but I was all the way on Tapo Canyon. I would imagine if the Tierra Rejada, HWY 14 to 101 is no longer the route there one could get to Westlake in 15-20 minutes from Simi-even shorter if you lived on the western side. In other words keep working Gil.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

It has been so long but is there now a more direct route from Agoura/Westlake area to Simi? I thought I heard that there is now a highway through the Oak Park area into Simi Valley. Back in my day the route to Westlake from Simi required us to go on Tierra Rejada to Moorpark, jump on some highway (maybe 14 or something) to go south to the 101 near the TO Mall. Then we would go south towards the San Fernando Valley and get off at Westlake. It was about 30 minutes of driving-depending on where you lived in Simi but I was all the way on Tapo Canyon. I would imagine if the Tierra Rejada, HWY 14 to 101 is no longer the route there one could get to Westlake in 15-20 minutes from Simi-even shorter if you lived on the western side. In other words keep working Gil.
                              Highway 23 connects the the 118 to the 101. The Olsen/Madera exit on the 23 is about 4 miles south of the Tierra Rejada exit making Canejo very accessible for the residents of western Simi that live south of the 118 and west of First Street. There is no direct road that connects Agoura/Oak Park to Simi. There are lots of hiking trails and a few fire roads that link Simi to Oak Park and Westlake, but no roads open to the public.

Oaks Christian gets all the pretentious kids these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X