No announcement yet.

2021-2022 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw what looked to be a credible report yesterday that Arizona had interviewed 4 applicants, including Pope.

I like that he's in demand but don't want him to go.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
      I saw what looked to be a credible report yesterday that Arizona had interviewed 4 applicants, including Pope.

I like that he's in demand but don't want him to go.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      I think most coaches won't turn down an interview request unless it doesn't make sense for them, like if it was the utes, an obvious step down.
      Last edited by BlueK; 04-16-2021, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        tooblue once again champing at the bit for a reason to dislike Pope.
        I don't dislike him, and I certainly don't begrudge him for interviewing for the Arizona job. There is nothing wrong with being ambitious. It's news that is relevant to the 2021 - 2022 season, and I may have heard about it from a source that is not found on cougarboard, so I posted about it.

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post
          I am not yet sold on Pope. The team this season out-performed expectations, but clearly the 6 seed was a huge reach by the committee (and likely heavily influenced by the previous season/team's success).

My concerns started at the end of the 2019 - 2020 season with the loss in the WCC tournament. His stubbornness this season in sticking to his defensive and offensive plans and making in game adjustments too late (USC, Boise St., Gonzaga and UCLA) are frustrating. Adding to my concern is that players might start and then sit the remainder of a game. Plus "the best locker room in America" talk was a ruse. It's easy to say that when you have so many high character guys on the squad, but If you have to say it out loud as often as he did it's because you are trying to convince yourself and the team that it is true.

You cannot build a program primarily through transfers. Harding is better than both Knell and Johnson. Knell is weak on the ball, unable to get in the lane, create his own shot and a mediocre defender. Hades, cougjunkie could probably take the ball from him at will (seriously). Spencer Johnson has hit his ceiling.

George is full of potential but will continue to be inconsistent. When talented players struggle in game, they often can adjust and go back to the fundamentals—the things they learned in their formative basketball years to reset their game. George's formative basketball years were 4 or 5 years ago at best.

Down the stretch with Harward's regression and Haarms simply being the player he is, he should've gone back to Lee instead of letting him languish on the bench.

BYU just might have its own Larry K.
          I think BYU upgraded its roster. It lost Harding, Lee and Lowell while adding Seneca Knight, Te'Jon Lucas and Nate Hansen. With Hansen promised a scholarship somebody had to move along to open space for him. Lowell won't be able to play next year, and I doubt Hansen plays either, so he was a reasonable swap there. BYU's biggest need was another ball handler/pg so I think Lucas does this team much more good than Lee. I also think Seneca Knight is a much better player than Harding. So I think Pope addressed needs as well as upgraded his roster. I also love that Knight has 2 years of eligibility as that allows him to play one more year after Barcello moves on and gives BYU an experienced perimeter scoring threat for 22-23.

However, as of right now BYU has 15 players allocated scholarships for next year. 3 incoming freshman in Saunders, Hall and Toolsen off of missions, the 6 freshman on this year's team (Hansen, Stewart, Ericson, Lohner, Atiki & Traore), 2 juniors in Johnson and Knell and finally 4 seniors to be in Harward, Baxter, Seneca Knight and Gorgeous George. I think next year's squad will also need a grad transfer PG so I would predict that will be the recruiting priority next spring once the season ends. So I expect at least 3 players to transfer out. If BYU lands a big, I think they are recruiting two highly recruited bigs in Jaxon Kohler and Adem Bona, then I could see Harward or Baxter moving along. So brace oneself for more transfer movement but I think once again BYU will send more players to the portal than they will take from it.

If Pope is a stock I am even more firmly in the buy camp.
          Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
          -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
          -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

I think BYU upgraded its roster. It lost Harding, Lee and Lowell while adding Seneca Knight, Te'Jon Lucas and Nate Hansen. With Hansen promised a scholarship somebody had to move along to open space for him. Lowell won't be able to play next year, and I doubt Hansen plays either, so he was a reasonable swap there. BYU's biggest need was another ball handler/pg so I think Lucas does this team much more good than Lee. I also think Seneca Knight is a much better player than Harding. So I think Pope addressed needs as well as upgraded his roster. I also love that Knight has 2 years of eligibility as that allows him to play one more year after Barcello moves on and gives BYU an experienced perimeter scoring threat for 22-23.

However, as of right now BYU has 15 players allocated scholarships for next year. 3 incoming freshman in Saunders, Hall and Toolsen off of missions, the 6 freshman on this year's team (Hansen, Stewart, Ericson, Lohner, Atiki & Traore), 2 juniors in Johnson and Knell and finally 4 seniors to be in Harward, Baxter, Seneca Knight and Gorgeous George. I think next year's squad will also need a grad transfer PG so I would predict that will be the recruiting priority next spring once the season ends. So I expect at least 3 players to transfer out. If BYU lands a big, I think they are recruiting two highly recruited bigs in Jaxon Kohler and Adem Bona, then I could see Harward or Baxter moving along. So brace oneself for more transfer movement but I think once again BYU will send more players to the portal than they will take from it.

If Pope is a stock I am even more firmly in the buy camp.
            The only part of my post I regret is suggesting he could be compared to Larry K in any way. It's a bear market IMO and I'm not buying stock just yet. It should be an interesting season.

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post

The only part of my post I regret is suggesting he could be compared to Larry K in any way. It's a bear market IMO and I'm not buying stock just yet. It should be an interesting season.
              I think being down on BYU basketball coaches is always a winning proposition, as history indicates none seem to have much success after about 6-7 years. So you might be right. Saying that, in this landscape of college hoops I cannot fathom how any BYU fan would be anything but very optimistic about the success Pope has had and BYU and will likely enjoy this next year.

You could have your heart bitter that it appears he chose Spencer Johnson or Trevin Knell over Connor Harding, but put me in the camp that believes Seneca Knight should be better than all 3.
              Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
              -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
              -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

I think being down on BYU basketball coaches is always a winning proposition, as history indicates none seem to have much success after about 6-7 years. So you might be right. Saying that, in this landscape of college hoops I cannot fathom how any BYU fan would be anything but very optimistic about the success Pope has had and BYU and will likely enjoy this next year.

You could have your heart bitter that it appears he chose Spencer Johnson or Trevin Knell over Connor Harding, but put me in the camp that believes Seneca Knight should be better than all 3.
                I really liked Dave Rose. I like Pope, and I am not down on him, but rightly wary. On paper this could be his best team in his short stint as HC. Last season his "best locker room in America" schtick wore on me. It evidently wore on high character players who he has alienated. That's worrying.

Comment

Seneca Knight got his waiver approved. Will be playing this year.

Comment

Working...
                  X