BYU roster 21-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    Is there a rule out there about entering the transfer portal by 01 May to be eligible for next season? If so I would think BYU hopefully has a couple of these open scholarships filled within the next couple of weeks.
    If there is, then I'm not familiar with it.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

It would surprise me a bit if that guy picks WYO or UNLV over BYU.
      Whoopsie.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

The Swedish player on Utah's team, Pelle Larsson, just entered the portal. He could be the potential PG of the future BYU still needs.

I doubt that he is interested in staying in Utah. My guess is that he will go pro in Finland. Or he could go to Maine and suit up with his brother.

He would be a good get for you guys; I liked him and apart from not being blessed with the traditional Finnish high-flying athleticism, I thought he was very productive as a freshman (he did hit the freshman wall).

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post

I doubt that he is interested in staying in Utah. My guess is that he will go pro in Finland. Or he could go to Maine and suit up with his brother.

He would be a good get for you guys; I liked him and apart from not being blessed with the traditional Finnish high-flying athleticism, I thought he was very productive as a freshman (he did hit the freshman wall).
          Is there anybody left at Utah at this point?

Serious question. It seems like everybody has entered the portal.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

I think they've got at least a couple of USU guys who are transferring over with the new head coach.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Yes, we traded most of our team for USU's guards. Seems risky, but

But it was all worth it to be rid of Krysko Meth.

Comment

Whoopsie.
                Not sure why he didn't like BYU's situation better than UNLV. Kruger the Younger must be a pretty good salesman!
                Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Not sure why he didn't like BYU's situation better than UNLV. Kruger the Younger must be a pretty good salesman!
                  Cough...honor code...cough, cough.
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post

Yes, we traded most of our team for USU's guards. Seems risky, but

But it was all worth it to be rid of Krysko Meth.
                    At least its a sign they don't hate their coach.

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post

At least its a sign they don't hate their coach.
                      Tender mercies

Comment

BYU got a commitment from grad transfer Te'Jon Lucas. A 6'2" pg who does everything well except shoot. He was an on again off again starter at Illinois as a Frosh/Soph and then transferred for his final 2 years to Milwaukie where he was twice all Horizon Conference.

Word is BYU is still pursuing a big out of the transfer market. Then once Barcello makes up his mind the roster should be complete.

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Barcello has made it public he is returning. I guess it sounds like Nate Hansen will be coming to BYU next year and will be on scholarship- I was pretty underwhelmed by what I read about Hansen so I had always assumed Pope wouldn't honor that scholarship. Hence, I think this is the allocated scholarships for next year:

Barcello- SR (Super Senior Covid deal where his scholarship doesn't count against BYU's allocation of 13)
                          1.) Lucas- SR
                          2.) Baxter - JR
                          3.) Harward - JR
                          4.) George- JR
                          5.) Johnson - SO
                          6.) Knell- SO
                          7.) Lohner - FR
                          8.) Ericson- FR
                          9.) Stewart - FR
                          10.) Hansen- FR
                          11.) Atiki - FR
                          12.) Traore- FR

BYU still has one scholarship to award for next year. I understand they are still pursuing a couple of portal options and perhaps even a potential freshman point guard from Sweden or somewhere in Scandinavia. Time will tell but I could even see BYU just eating that scholarship/awarding it to a faithful walk-on for a year. Or perhaps keeping it in the breech and perhaps a late transfer might develop.

For this year I think the following players will consistently be in BYU's rotation: Barcello, Lucas, George, Lohner, Harward, Baxter, Knell and Johnson. If BYU lands a decent big transfer that fellow will be in the rotation and if BYU doesn't land a big than my guess is Atiki and Traore might see some spot minutes in the rotation on occasion. But for the most part I think the primary 8 will take the majority of the minutes this season. I think BYU will be better next year than they were this past season-just with this rotation. I think BYU will be better at every position except center. Losing Haarms will hurt but I expect the improvement from the rest and continuity will make BYU a better team and afford it to build a strong resume. I think BYU will win a first round tournament game.

Of the 12 players on scholarship next year 11 are scheduled to return. For next year I would think that a transfer, likely a grad transfer, PG will be the top priority with both Lucas and Barcello moving on after this year. With 3 perimeter players coming off of missions in Hall, Toolson and Saunders BYU will have 4 players join the program next year. Hence, I think at least 2 of the 11 will move on after the 21-22 season. Likely perimeter players as BYU is likely going to only have 5 players as primary 4 and 5 so a bit thin in that area.

I was really hoping/expecting BYU to find a young PG to play a reserve role this year as if the transfer portal fails Pope next summer at the PG position he could be a world of hurt with his primary PG coming out of the group consisting of RM Dallin Hall, Hunter Ericson, Trey Stewart or Nate Hansen.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Barcello has made it public he is returning. I guess it sounds like Nate Hansen will be coming to BYU next year and will be on scholarship- I was pretty underwhelmed by what I read about Hansen so I had always assumed Pope wouldn't honor that scholarship. Hence, I think this is the allocated scholarships for next year:

Barcello- SR (Super Senior Covid deal where his scholarship doesn't count against BYU's allocation of 13)
                            1.) Lucas- SR
                            2.) Baxter - JR
                            3.) Harward - JR
                            4.) George- JR
                            5.) Johnson - SO
                            6.) Knell- SO
                            7.) Lohner - FR
                            8.) Ericson- FR
                            9.) Stewart - FR
                            10.) Hansen- FR
                            11.) Atiki - FR
                            12.) Traore- FR

BYU still has one scholarship to award for next year. I understand they are still pursuing a couple of portal options and perhaps even a potential freshman point guard from Sweden or somewhere in Scandinavia. Time will tell but I could even see BYU just eating that scholarship/awarding it to a faithful walk-on for a year. Or perhaps keeping it in the breech and perhaps a late transfer might develop.

For this year I think the following players will consistently be in BYU's rotation: Barcello, Lucas, George, Lohner, Harward, Baxter, Knell and Johnson. If BYU lands a decent big transfer that fellow will be in the rotation and if BYU doesn't land a big than my guess is Atiki and Traore might see some spot minutes in the rotation on occasion. But for the most part I think the primary 8 will take the majority of the minutes this season. I think BYU will be better next year than they were this past season-just with this rotation. I think BYU will be better at every position except center. Losing Haarms will hurt but I expect the improvement from the rest and continuity will make BYU a better team and afford it to build a strong resume. I think BYU will win a first round tournament game.

Of the 12 players on scholarship next year 11 are scheduled to return. For next year I would think that a transfer, likely a grad transfer, PG will be the top priority with both Lucas and Barcello moving on after this year. With 3 perimeter players coming off of missions in Hall, Toolson and Saunders BYU will have 4 players join the program next year. Hence, I think at least 2 of the 11 will move on after the 21-22 season. Likely perimeter players as BYU is likely going to only have 5 players as primary 4 and 5 so a bit thin in that area.

I was really hoping/expecting BYU to find a young PG to play a reserve role this year as if the transfer portal fails Pope next summer at the PG position he could be a world of hurt with his primary PG coming out of the group consisting of RM Dallin Hall, Hunter Ericson, Trey Stewart or Nate Hansen.
                            I mostly agree, but I think the freshmen bigs will probably see more than spot duty.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

- Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                              I mostly agree, but I think the freshmen bigs will probably see more than spot duty.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                              As far as I can tell it is about the only interesting question of going into next year- how will BYU play the post? I am convinced Lohner will start at the 4 and probably play 28 mpg. I think Harward will start at the 5 alongside Lohner, but perhaps Baxter will start at the 5 alongside Lohner. I tend to think these 3 will log the majority of the 80 mpg for the two post positions, but how will BYU react when they need a 4th post player. Will they go with either Atiki or Traore or will they go small ball and play George at the 4 with Lohner, Harward or Baxter at the 5? Likely will depend on situations and matchups and perhaps all options will be used at different times for different reasons.

It would be comforting if Atiki arrives and is able to play 10-15 mpg as a reserve 5. I don't see as much opportunity for Traore to play as much next year as BYU has two natural 4's in Lohner and Baxter and George could play there if needed. I see BYU as less deep at the 5 than they are at the 4.

But I am talking about an issue with limited memory of what Baxter can do and prognosticating about two freshman that I know next to nothing about. I expect Lohner to be one of BYU's best offensive players next year- I think he develops into a consistent 14-16 ppg player. Harward is a good role player who would be a solid back up for most college programs. I think if he is playing 24-26 mpg for BYU he likely will score 7 ppg and 8 rpg player. I don't know about the rest.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

As far as I can tell it is about the only interesting question of going into next year- how will BYU play the post? I am convinced Lohner will start at the 4 and probably play 28 mpg. I think Harward will start at the 5 alongside Lohner, but perhaps Baxter will start at the 5 alongside Lohner. I tend to think these 3 will log the majority of the 80 mpg for the two post positions, but how will BYU react when they need a 4th post player. Will they go with either Atiki or Traore or will they go small ball and play George at the 4 with Lohner, Harward or Baxter at the 5? Likely will depend on situations and matchups and perhaps all options will be used at different times for different reasons.

It would be comforting if Atiki arrives and is able to play 10-15 mpg as a reserve 5. I don't see as much opportunity for Traore to play as much next year as BYU has two natural 4's in Lohner and Baxter and George could play there if needed. I see BYU as less deep at the 5 than they are at the 4.

But I am talking about an issue with limited memory of what Baxter can do and prognosticating about two freshman that I know next to nothing about. I expect Lohner to be one of BYU's best offensive players next year- I think he develops into a consistent 14-16 ppg player. Harward is a good role player who would be a solid back up for most college programs. I think if he is playing 24-26 mpg for BYU he likely will score 7 ppg and 8 rpg player. I don't know about the rest.
                                I forgot about Baxter. Based on the current roster, I would expect him to start at the 5 with Lohner at the 4. I think Baxter could play the 4. But starting Baxter at the 4 would presumably push Lohner to the 3. There are other good options at the 3, so I don't see the need to have Lohner in that spot just to make room for Harward at the 5. So I wouldn't expect to see Baxter at the 4 except when Lohner is on the bench for rest or foul trouble.

If Atiki is really good at the 5 right away, then maybe it would make sense to shift Lohner and Baxter to the 3 and 4, respectively.

I think Lohner will probably get 28-30 minutes per game, primarily at the 4. They'll probably keep Baxter's minutes a bit lower - especially early in the season - to protect his (apparently) brittle body and to make sure he's properly conditioned, so he'll probably be in the 20-25 mpg range. Harward will play exclusively at the 5. I expect him to get 10-15 mpg. That would leave up to 10 mpg for Atiki at the 5. I could also see 5-10 mpg for Traore at the 4 (with Lohner/Baxter/George taking the rest).
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X