BYU roster 21-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYU roster 21-22

BYU just got a commitment from another African big man. Atiki Atiki from London Prep up in Canada.

I am not entirely clear how all the Covid eligibility exceptions will work out next year but basically treating this year like it doesn't use any eligibility here are the scholarship players I think could be in BYU's program next year:

Seniors-
    Barcello
    Haarms
    Averette

Juniors-
    Lee
    Harward
    Harding
    George
    Baxter

Sophomores-
    Knell
    Johnson
    Lowell

Freshman-
    Lohner
    Ericson
    Stewart
    Ataki
    Traore

My understanding is seniors don't count against your allocation of 13. Hence, with this roster BYU would be full next year. I do think that BYU will seek to land a PG of the future type of player for next year even if both Averette and Barcello return. So something has to give. Obviously, with Baxter and Lowell's injury history one or both of them might medically retire. Somebody might also just transfer out.

I also wonder exactly how the seniors not counting exception works. Is that only applicable to players who had been seniors in your program during the 20-21 season? In other words would any senior grad transfer count against BYU's allocation of 13? Also can BYU declare some of this year's juniors as seniors next year and not have those players count against the count of 13? I don't know the rules well enough to figure out what Pope can and cannot do.

I think Haarms and Averette move on. I think Pope will land another ball handler/PG of the future who will back up Barcello next year and that scholarship space will have to be created. The most likely is a medical retirement IMO. But the following year it appears to me there will be a scholarship crunch as 3 players are coming off of missions and the seniors whose eligibility will be exhausted won't count against the allocation of 13. Next year's offseason could be one of weeping and wailing with the decisions that will need to be made.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Wow. Baylor really wanted Ataki:

Atiki has been recruited by BYU, Baylor, Oklahoma, San Diego State, West Virginia and Baylor, among others.
    https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2021/...anzania-africa
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
      Baylor, and Baylor with mustache.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I don't follow recruiting much anymore, so I hadn't heard anything about Atiki. but having watched a couple of his videos, I'm cautiously optimistic he could be very good, even great. I was most impressed by the clip where he stuffed a guy's shot at the rim, then sprinted down court for a slam on the other end ahead of pretty much everyone else, showing considerable speed, athleticism and hustle. I'm sure he'll be a project, but I have faith in the Pope. This will be fun to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          I don't follow recruiting much anymore, so I hadn't heard anything about Atiki. but having watched a couple of his videos, I'm cautiously optimistic he could be very good, even great. I was most impressed by the clip where he stuffed a guy's shot at the rim, then sprinted down court for a slam on the other end ahead of pretty much everyone else, showing considerable speed, athleticism and hustle. I'm sure he'll be a project, but I have faith in the Pope. This will be fun to watch.
          That was a pretty cool clip. I played it back a couple of times to see how far behind the basket he was before he started sprinting back on defense. He erased a pretty substantial head start to get that block on D.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post

That was a pretty cool clip. I played it back a couple of times to see how far behind the basket he was before he started sprinting back on defense. He erased a pretty substantial head start to get that block on D.
            link?
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

link?
              It was on one of the thousand or so stories that populated here the last day or two about his commitment.
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

This would seem like an exciting addition.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si....ordan-goldwire

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                  This would seem like an exciting addition.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si....ordan-goldwire
                  Too bad, we missed on him.

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post

Seems like we are missing everyone this year.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post

who did he sign with?
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post

who did he sign with?
                        boomer sooner.
                        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Seems like we are missing everyone this year.
                          We missed on several last year too before getting Haarms. George was a jc transfer which is a little different. Averette had played for Pope already. The guard who averaged 18 ppg at Kent State looks interesting. The others he's narrowed down to besides us don't look hard to beat out (Wyoming and UNLV). That may be good or not so good, I guess, but I trust Pope knows the type of player he needs.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.van...a-unlv-wyoming
                          Last edited by BlueK; 04-28-2021, 05:36 AM.

Comment

We missed on several last year too before getting Haarms. George was a jc transfer which is a little different. Averette had played for Pope already. The guard who averaged 18 ppg at Kent State looks interesting. The others he's narrowed down to besides us don't look hard to beat out (Wyoming and UNLV). That may be good or not so good, I guess, but I trust Pope knows the type of player he needs.

The competition wasn’t stiff for George. Kent State and Weber State were his only other offers.

Comment

It would surprise me a bit if that guy picks WYO or UNLV over BYU. Perhaps he would play more at either of those two schools, I don't know but from where I view BYU's roster he is likely a starter at BYU and would probably play 25-30 mpg and play for a team that has a chance of being pretty good. I would categorize him as an upgrade to Averette and assuming Barcello and Haarms return BYU should be much better than they were last season. The only starter who is not returning is being replaced by a better player. I don't know on what metric he is making his decision but I would think unless the HC rules are that onerous to him, BYU offers similar playing time and likely a team with a better chance at winning games.

The Swedish player on Utah's team, Pelle Larsson, just entered the portal. He could be the potential PG of the future BYU still needs.

Is there a rule out there about entering the transfer portal by 01 May to be eligible for next season? If so I would think BYU hopefully has a couple of these open scholarships filled within the next couple of weeks.

Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                              -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                              -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Working...
                              X