Mormons and the "Global Warming/Climate Change Hoax"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Hearing more and more about people who think it is immoral to have kids when climate change is happening.
    That's looney and deserves an eye roll. But the water/climate/drought/disappearing lake is a very serious situation for the Wasatch Front and the current trend is not sustainable unless something changes the other way.
    Last edited by BlueK; 06-15-2022, 06:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post

That's looney and deserves an eye roll. But the water/climate/drought/disappearing lake is a very serious situation for the Wasatch Front and the current trend is not sustainable unless something changes the other way.
      I vote for more precipitation.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Hearing more and more about people who think it is immoral to have kids when climate change is happening.
        I agree that those people shouldn’t have kids.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

I agree that those people shouldn’t have kids.
          I think most people shouldn't have kids. It would have been great if 50% of the parents of the kids my wife teaches had decided not to have kids. Most of these kids have druggie parents and are being "raised" by the grandma. There is a family with 6 kids, parents are Carnies, where the kids are left for days without food. Often just left in a tent. The kids have IQs of about 70. They are super nice, but it would have been better if mom was sterile.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post

Yes of course, the drought/climate change are major problems. You know what else is not sustainable? Trying to solve a problem by not having kids. The logic breaks down on so many levels.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• This is quite the heat wave in Europe. The UK is having record highs, and is on fire.

Comment

• Lebowski, what about capping the whole GSL bed like a superfund site?
                When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                  Lebowski, what about capping the whole GSL bed like a superfund site?
                  Yeah, i was thinking about that. It would cost a fortune and how do you do it in a way that accommodates the lake potentially rebounding/refilling? Remember that we are in a 1200-year drought. Surely climate change is at play here and we should prep for the worst, but it certainly could rebound.

They had an episode of The Daily podcast on this a day or two ago. Very informative, but when they got to the end the reporter and interviewer seemed incredulous that Utah was not immediately stopping all new construction in the state - as if we could simply flip a switch. How would that work? No new building permits? And then what happens to housing prices in Utah? They would go through the roof and it would impact the poor the most - for sure resulting in increased homelessness, etc. Dummies.

No simple solutions, but I am confident we will figure something out.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• The GSL is disappearing because its inflow is being diverted to human needs. In a sense, the GSL is a huge waste of water. People may have to decide what's more important, humans or brine shrimp.
                    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

The GSL is disappearing because its inflow is being diverted to human needs. In a sense, the GSL is a huge waste of water. People may have to decide what's more important, humans or brine shrimp.
                      Less inflow to the lake means less lake effect resulting in less snowfall which would mean less fresh water.

Comment

Yeah, i was thinking about that. It would cost a fortune and how do you do it in a way that accommodates the lake potentially rebounding/refilling? Remember that we are in a 1200-year drought. Surely climate change is at play here and we should prep for the worst, but it certainly could rebound.

They had an episode of The Daily podcast on this a day or two ago. Very informative, but when they got to the end the reporter and interviewer seemed incredulous that Utah was not immediately stopping all new construction in the state - as if we could simply flip a switch. How would that work? No new building permits? And then what happens to housing prices in Utah? They would go through the roof and it would impact the poor the most - for sure resulting in increased homelessness, etc. Dummies.

No simple solutions, but I am confident we will figure something out.
                        Well...

(1) Utah should outlaw lawns and other landscaping. It is time to landscape with rocks and maybe a few cacti.

(2) Golf courses should be outlawed as well. Golfing is a luxury in Utah and golfers will travel to pay for that luxury.

(3) Utah's agricultural doesn't make a significant contribution in the big picture. That could use to be cut back as well. Food prices in Utah will go up but maybe that will help with the housing permit problem and maybe even create a surplus of housing.

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

The GSL is disappearing because its inflow is being diverted to human needs. In a sense, the GSL is a huge waste of water. People may have to decide what's more important, humans or brine shrimp.

Have you read up on this? This is a bad and unscientific take.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Agreed. The last time the lake was this low was 1963. Not many people in Utah then.

Also, here is how water is used in Utah:

Agriculture: 70%
                            Industry: 15%
                            Residential: 15%

The most inefficient of these uses is agriculture. And when you want to start a new subdivision/development in Utah you have to procure water rights. The most common way is to purchase/convert ag rights to municipal use

Let's suppose you reduced residential use by 33%. You would have made only a 5% dent in total water usage.

There are so many things yet to do. For example, lots of cities along the wasatch front provide secondary water for gardens, lawns, etc but it many cases it is not metered. That needs to change right away. Also, a lot of utah farmers grow alfalfa, which is a water hog.

Comment

I mean, is this even his field?
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

Well...

(1) Utah should outlaw lawns and other landscaping. It is time to landscape with rocks and maybe a few cacti.

(2) Golf courses should be outlawed as well. Golfing is a luxury in Utah and golfers will travel to pay for that luxury.

(3) Utah's agricultural doesn't make a significant contribution in the big picture. That could use to be cut back as well. Food prices in Utah will go up but maybe that will help with the housing permit problem and maybe even create a surplus of housing.
                                (3) is the only item that would have any significant impact. 3/4 of water in Utah is used for farming, which seems insane in the modern era. Although I can't find good numbers for the % used for agriculture in the much smaller Salt Lake watershed.

Comment

Working...
                                X