2020 Post-Election Thread...let's talk about it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
    I would like to see where 2/3rd of congress could override a pardon. Putting that supreme power in one man's hand is too dangerous.
    I like the pardon as long as we elect good people to be president and governor.

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post

I like the pardon as long as we elect good people to be president and governor.
      Yeah, most presidents don't abuse it like trump did.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Clinton had some pretty questionable pardons too. I don't think this is just a Trump thing. People we worried about Trump pardoning his family, but Clinton pardoned his own brother.

Comment

Clinton had some pretty questionable pardons too. I don't think this is just a Trump thing. People we worried about Trump pardoning his family, but Clinton pardoned his own brother.
          Did he pardon his brother preemptively? Did he rescue him from prosecution or serving a sentence? Let me know how this is similar to a Trump pardon.
          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Did Trump pardon someone preemptively? I missed that. There have been a lot of presidents who have though.

Clinton pardoned Marc Rich after a huge donation from his wife. Basically a bribe.

Like I said, the pardoning thing isn't just a Trump thing.

Comment

• I am looking forward to a President that isn't going to treat people like shit.

Treating people well, especially those that disagree with you, is #1 on my list of things I like in a President.

Comment

• Lots of presidents have pardoned or commuted sentences of convicted politicians. I think that's pretty slimy.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Did Trump pardon someone preemptively? I missed that. There have been a lot of presidents who have though.

Clinton pardoned Marc Rich after a huge donation from his wife. Basically a bribe.

Like I said, the pardoning thing isn't just a Trump thing.
                  While pardoning your own brother is clearly nepotistic and is bad optics, I understand he had a troubled history and had done some jail time related to drugs and such, and a pardon sort of gave him a 'fresh start.' And the Whitewater bullshit was such a clearly politically motivated witchhunt (vision in retrospect is 20/20- I'm sure the Republican me in the 90s was all for it) so I don't care about him pardoning the McDougals or whomever, either, even though the optics there are even worse.

I certainly don't have a problem with that like I do Trump pardoning Roger stone and Joe Arpaio before they are about to go to jail after having been duly convicted. And it's even worse for Bannon because he hadn't even gone to trial yet- that's what I consider to be preemptive. Add that to the war criminals from Blackwater he pardoned-- and I'm not a fan of pardons in general, but they have gotten ridiculous w Trump.
                  "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Interesting article on the current state of QAnon:

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politi...or-inspiration

Keeping the faith wasn’t easy when Inauguration Day didn’t usher in “The Storm,” the apocalyptic reckoning that they have believed was coming for prominent Democrats and Mr. Trump’s “deep state” foes. QAnon followers grappled with anger, confusion, and disappointment Wednesday as President Joe Biden was sworn into office.

Some believers found a way to twist the conspiracy theory’s convoluted narrative to fit their belief that Mr. Biden’s victory was an illusion and that Mr. Trump would secure a second term in office. Others clung to the notion that Mr. Trump will remain a “shadow president” during Mr. Biden’s term. Some even floated the idea that the inauguration ceremony was computer-generated or that Mr. Biden himself could be the mysterious “Q,” who is purportedly a government insider posting cryptic clues about the conspiracy.
                    "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                      Interesting article on the current state of QAnon:

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politi...or-inspiration
                      They are really dumb.

Comment

• So, it's absurd Republicans keep pushing it, but anarchists and far leftists do not support Biden. It's much different than the dynamic with the Trumpist GOP and the extreme right. They are becoming more aggressive and violent though, and that's not good.

​​​​​​The hundreds of far-left and anarchist demonstrators who gathered in protest mere hours after President Biden swore the oath of office Wednesday signal a fracturing on the left that could become a scourge for the new administration, political leaders and experts say.

Some activists are carrying their destructive tactics into a new administration to voice rejection of centrist ideologies they believe will do little to address existential worries over climate change, economic inequality, foreign wars and racism. The vandalizing of the Oregon Democratic Party headquarters by extreme-left demonstrators on ­Inauguration Day has split Portland liberals, and federal agents’ launching of tear gas at crowds that descended on the city’s Immigration and Customs Enforcement headquarters produced scenes reminiscent of similar summer standoffs ordered by President Donald Trump.
                        In Seattle, a march organized by anarchists and the city’s Youth Liberation Front branch roved through neighborhoods, chanting expletives at both Trump and Biden, some breaking windows at the original Starbucks. In Denver, dozens of demonstrators burned an American flag and yelled epithets at police.

Mark Bray, author of “Antifa: The Anti-Fascist’s Handbook,” said the graffiti that the Portland protesters left behind and the flags some carried included anarchist symbols. There is a “fair amount of overlap” between the ideologies of anarchists and antifascists. Both tend to be anti-government, opposed to both the Democratic and Republican parties, and frequently protest on Inauguration Day and at the parties’ annual conventions.

“Broadly speaking they want directly democratic, self-managed communities at the regional and macro-regional levels,” said Bray, a historian and lecturer at Rutgers University who helped organize Occupy Wall Street. “They want decision-making from the bottom up versus the top down. They reject capitalism.”

Portland’s protests undercut claims by Republicans that far-left groups have embraced Biden and have committed destructive acts in support of his policies, said Oren Segal, vice president of the Center on Extremism at the Anti-Defamation League.

“There have been so many efforts to link Biden to the radical elements of the left, including antifa,” he said. “This demonstrates a disconnect between that messaging from the Trump administration and elected officials, who tended to lump together the left more broadly with these radical elements.”

​​​​​​https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...3e2_story.html

Comment

• Arizona republican party doubled down on Trumpism yesterday.

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/23/95997...dds-with-trump

Arizona Republicans passed resolutions on Saturday to censure three of the state's most prominent party leaders who have found themselves at odds with former President Donald Trump: Gov. Doug Ducey, former Sen. Jeff Flake and Cindy McCain, widow of late longtime Sen. John McCain.

The sweeping — yet essentially symbolic — rebuke took place during a meeting to figure out how to move forward after the state flipped blue in November, narrowly giving its 11 electoral votes to now-President Biden.

McCain and Flake, both of whom endorsed Biden for president, were censured for their outspoken opposition to Trump and for their support of globalist interests, according to state GOP members.

In condemning Ducey, the party cited the governor's decision to enact emergency orders during the coronavirus pandemic that the committee said are unconstitutional and "restrict personal liberties."
                          They also re-elected their nutjob die-hard Trumper party chair:

State Republicans also reelected party chair Kelli Ward, an unwavering Trump supporter who had challenged Arizona's election results in a lawsuit that was rejected for insufficient evidence of fraud.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Ward called herself a "Trump Republican" who will "always put America first, who believes in faith, family and freedom."

"Yes, I will be radical about those things because those are the things that keep this country great," she said.
                          Seems like the Arizona GOP just sealed the deal on turning Arizona into a blue state for at least a generation to come.

Comment

• Yeah, I’ve been telling you guys. AZGOP is completely insane.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• The sweeping — yet essentially symbolic — rebuke took place during a meeting to figure out how to move forward after the state flipped blue in November, narrowly giving its 11 electoral votes to now-President Biden.
                              Gee, I wonder why fewer people in AZ voted red?
                              "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                              "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                              This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                              "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                              "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• If they want to stand for something and lose they should join a 3rd party. Don't take over a big tent party and make it a small tent.

Utah GOP needs to make sure this doesn't happen. The seeds are there.

Comment

Working...
                                X