Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which comes closest to describing your position on Jeffrey Toobin’s just deserts

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    The Undoing of Jeffrey Toobin
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/15/s...e=articleShare

    I like this:
    Malcolm Gladwell, one of the magazine’s best known contributors, said in an interview: “I read the Condé Nast news release, and I was puzzled because I couldn’t find any intellectual justification for what they were doing. They just assumed he had done something terrible, but never told us what the terrible thing was. And my only feeling — the only way I could explain it — was that Condé Nast had taken an unexpected turn toward traditional Catholic teaching.” (Mr. Gladwell then took out his Bible and read to a reporter
    an allegory
    from Genesis 38 in which
    God strikes down a man for succumbing to the sin of self-gratification
    .)
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

    --Jonathan Swift

    Comment


    • #62
      This is cringe-inducing. On both sides:



      Look, this was a minor offense. If it was an honest mistake, it's not worth the amount of time everyone has spent arguing about it. But again, is Toobin such a great and unique legal mind that CNN feels they need to give him another chance? Doesn't speak well for the legal pundit profession.

      And at Toobin. If you have 2 minutes to address the wanking incident, and you offer your food bank volunteering as an apology, I mean, c'mon
      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

      Comment


      • #63
        But he’s writing a new book about the Oklahoma City bombing! Surely that should count for something.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
          This is cringe-inducing. On both sides:



          Look, this was a minor offense. If it was an honest mistake, it's not worth the amount of time everyone has spent arguing about it. But again, is Toobin such a great and unique legal mind that CNN feels they need to give him another chance? Doesn't speak well for the legal pundit profession.

          And at Toobin. If you have 2 minutes to address the wanking incident, and you offer your food bank volunteering as an apology, I mean, c'mon
          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by Applejack View Post
            But he’s writing a new book about the Oklahoma City bombing! Surely that should count for something.
            Yeah, nice plug for his book thrown in there also.

            He would have garnered more respect had he said, 'look, everyone does it. But I just got caught doing it publicly. I'm as embarrassed as you'd be if you were in my shoes. I promise I'll turn the camera off next time I do it.'
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

            Comment


            • #66
              I heard his new book is titled “Bank On It: How a treacherous journey from the spank bank to the food bank changed my life.”

              On a related note, how lazy was that attempt to explain this away? How about pointing out the absurdity of a situation in which Toobin is on a zoom call with several co-workers, and, with the group’s decision to take a short break, his immediate intent is to turn off the camera, mute himself, and rub one out. Which co-worker got you so hot and bothered that you so needed make such prompt use of that break time? Huh, Jeff? Tell us who you had in your mind’s eye (or pinned on your zoom screen) as you took to work.
              Last edited by Donuthole; 06-10-2021, 07:43 PM.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

              Comment


              • #67
                Holy crap. I can't believe they decided that would be a good idea. Yeesh.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                  This is cringe-inducing. On both sides:


                  Look, this was a minor offense. If it was an honest mistake, it's not worth the amount of time everyone has spent arguing about it. But again, is Toobin such a great and unique legal mind that CNN feels they need to give him another chance? Doesn't speak well for the legal pundit profession.

                  And at Toobin. If you have 2 minutes to address the wanking incident, and you offer your food bank volunteering as an apology, I mean, c'mon
                  I'm glad CNN took him back. He's an exceptional legal analyst, but if you're going to take him back you can't do it without addressing the incident. There's no way you can do that without making the audience squirm. The thing that struck me as the most disingenuous was the acknowledgement that he was unaware that he was on camera, yet he continually confessed to using poor judgment. Most men who jerk off -- which is 95% of men -- do so with the assumption that they're not being viewed by strangers. So if you accept that Toobin believed he was off camera and also committed egregiously poor judgment, you must also conclude that 95% of the male population regularly commits egregiously poor judgment. One of the overriding reasons I don't acknowledge an afterlife is that I can't process the idea that my deceased mother is checking in on those odd moments when I'm alone and my libido wanders.
                  Last edited by Non Sequitur; 06-11-2021, 12:08 AM.
                  "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

                    I'm glad CNN took him back. He's an exceptional legal analyst, but if you're going to take him back you can't do it without addressing the incident. There's no way you can do that without making the audience squirm. The thing that struck me as the most disingenuous was the acknowledgement that he was unaware that he was on camera, yet he continually confessed to using poor judgment. Most men who jerk off -- which is 95% of men -- do so with the assumption that they're not being viewed by strangers. So if you accept that Toobin believed he was off camera and also committed egregiously poor judgment, you must also conclude that 95% of the male population regularly commits egregiously poor judgment. One of the overriding reasons I don't acknowledge an afterlife is that I can't process the idea that my deceased mother is checking in on those odd moments when I'm alone and my libido wanders.
                    My boss exercises poor judgement by saying many things he shouldn't when he's on mute. Sometimes that comes back to bite him in the butt. Similarly, if you think you've turned off the camera, that is still not a good time to do something like that. Regardless of whether I agree with his behavior, I agree it was poor judgement with the timing.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

                      I'm glad CNN took him back. He's an exceptional legal analyst, but if you're going to take him back you can't do it without addressing the incident. There's no way you can do that without making the audience squirm. The thing that struck me as the most disingenuous was the acknowledgement that he was unaware that he was on camera, yet he continually confessed to using poor judgment. Most men who jerk off -- which is 95% of men -- do so with the assumption that they're not being viewed by strangers. So if you accept that Toobin believed he was off camera and also committed egregiously poor judgment, you must also conclude that 95% of the male population regularly commits egregiously poor judgment. One of the overriding reasons I don't acknowledge an afterlife is that I can't process the idea that my deceased mother is checking in on those odd moments when I'm alone and my libido wanders.
                      This makes me wonder if it was more than just an innocent mistake. His mea culpa was either overkill to placate the more prim viewers, or it spoke to an incident more akin to willful indecent exposure.

                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

                        I'm glad CNN took him back. He's an exceptional legal analyst, but if you're going to take him back you can't do it without addressing the incident. There's no way you can do that without making the audience squirm. The thing that struck me as the most disingenuous was the acknowledgement that he was unaware that he was on camera, yet he continually confessed to using poor judgment. Most men who jerk off -- which is 95% of men -- do so with the assumption that they're not being viewed by strangers. So if you accept that Toobin believed he was off camera and also committed egregiously poor judgment, you must also conclude that 95% of the male population regularly commits egregiously poor judgment. One of the overriding reasons I don't acknowledge an afterlife is that I can't process the idea that my deceased mother is checking in on those odd moments when I'm alone and my libido wanders.
                        Why do you have to address it? You would have to have been living under a rock to not be aware of it. What purpose did that serve?
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

                          This makes me wonder if it was more than just an innocent mistake. His mea culpa was either overkill to placate the more prim viewers, or it spoke to an incident more akin to willful indecent exposure.
                          Over thinning out. CNN wanted an ounce of flesh and Toobin was willing to pay the price.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X