Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My eight-year-old daughter got it.

We had to cancel my six-year-old’s birthday party and my oldest isn’t allowed to give our youngest hugs. It’s a pretty sad day around here.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
      My eight-year-old daughter got it.

We had to cancel my six-year-old’s birthday party and my oldest isn’t allowed to give our youngest hugs. It’s a pretty sad day around here.
      That stinks. Things are picking up again, and it'll probably run through the unvaccinated young ones who can't even get the vaccine yet. Hope everyone in your household is ok.

Comment

• Yeah, we are most likely screwed...

The next Covid variant could kill up to one in THREE people: SAGE warns doomsday scenario is 'realistic possibility' and UK's vaccine roll-out may even speed up mutant strain's emergence
        • SAGE today warns a future Covid mutant strain could be as deadly as MERS
        • No10's expert panel say coronavirus mutates most when it is in high prevalence
        • Group warns strains could become more resistant to vaccines and antivirals
        A doomsday new Covid variant that could kill up to one in three people is a 'realistic possibility', according to the Government's top scientists.

Documents published by the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) today warned a future strain could be as deadly as MERS — which has a case fatality rate of 35 per cent — could be on the way.

No10's expert panel claimed the likelihood of the virus mutating is highest when it is most prevalent — as is currently the case in Britain.

And in a downside of Britain's hugely successful vaccination drive, the team warned the country's greater levels of immunity may help speed up the virus's evolutionary process.
        [...]
        https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ee-people.html

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

It sounds like the issue is that it’s only the unvaccinated that have a breakthrough case, which is rare but still possible. None of the news stories seem to be making that distinction which is why the White House was upset at the headline and reporting.
          From Scott's link:

The CDC-published study included 469 cases from the cluster, 346 of which were in fully vaccinated people. Of those breakthrough infections, 79 percent had symptoms, with cough, headache, sore throat, myalgia, and fever being the most common symptoms. There were five hospitalizations in the subset: one in an unvaccinated person with underlying medical conditions and four in fully vaccinated people, two of whom had underlying medical conditions. No deaths from cases linked to the cluster have been reported to date.

Nationwide, the CDC estimated that there are 35,000 symptomatic breakthrough infections per week among 162 million fully vaccinated Americans.

The internal CDC document overall highlights that delta is extremely contagious—much more so than previous versions of the virus, as well as the common cold or even the seasonal flu. Delta is more in line with the contagiousness of chickenpox, the CDC document said.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bus...t-2021-7%3famp

Yeah, the delta covid made me want to pee and throw up too…. Among other things.
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                My husband keeps telling me to stop with the panic, but I am in full blown fear. What is your position?
                So Katy - how are you feeling about COVID now? Still full blown fear? Or something else?

I find myself hitting full blown frustration - this thing should be all but done if folks would finish up getting immunized. Sure - there may be some breakthrough illnesses still. But hospitalizations and deaths would have plummeted by now.

Comment

• I shed my fear once I got vaccinated. That's when I knew that I might have minor symptoms, but I wasn't going to end up on a ventilator.

One of my relatives, an elderly man, refused to get vaccinated, and is now on a ventilator. SMH.

Loved the tweet above, sung to the tune of "Follow the Prophet" (clap).

Comment

• IW-8220211906369.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                      Haha. That's pretty true.

Comment

• Lately I spend about half of my time at our Atlanta headquarters, where I am this week. Last Wednesday, the mayor issued an executive order "requiring all persons in a public place, including private businesses and establishments, to wear a mask or a cloth face covering over their nose and mouth when indoors."

In response, my company is... kind of pretending they haven't heard anything about it. I didn't even know about the order until Tuesday when I went into a restaurant that had a sign referencing it. HR has not sent out any sort of guidance or acknowledgment of the order. I have literally only seen one person wearing a mask in the office all week. We are still in a "come into the office if you want, but it is not required" status, so I think the company is basically just sitting on their hands on this one, and I suspect it is due to direction from our CEO, who is not the most progressive guy politically.

Comment

I have to agree. I’m in the northeast this week and nobody is wearing masks anywhere except on public transportation (maybe 90% compliance) and federal monuments (maybe 80% compliance including staffers). Masks are over unless a new strain is found that vaccines are effective against.
                          Whoops, masks are not over apparently. Today my company is requiring masks again. However, I’d be shocked if my school district requires them for school in the fall. I’d be doubly shocked if there’s ever a mask mandate in Texas again. But I guess private businesses are starting to require them again
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• This has become like a parable about science vs. superstition.

Hundreds probably eventually thousands of people a day dying needlessly. This is not like Covid pre-vaccines or Alzheimer's or even the flu. Almost all these deaths are preventable.

No vaccine mandate? What if a religious cult were requiring hundreds of adherents a day to jump off the Golden Gate Bridge, the number increasing? Would we say, they're adults, let them decide?
                            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Whoops, masks are not over apparently. Today my company is requiring masks again. However, I’d be shocked if my school district requires them for school in the fall. I’d be doubly shocked if there’s ever a mask mandate in Texas again. But I guess private businesses are starting to require them again
                              My daughter's school sent out an email saying that masks were optional, and emphasizing that teachers have no role in this (as in, they don't want parents trying to get teachers to promote a viewpoint or pressure students).

Comment

• Masks required by all students and faculty in the school district my wife teaches in as well as the one my kids attend. This is in SoCal
                                Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Working...
                                X