X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• myboynoah
    replied
    How Mitt Romney Decided Trump Is Guilty

Romney, a devout member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, described to me the power of taking an oath before God: “It’s something which I take very seriously.” Throughout the trial, he said, he was guided by his father’s favorite verse of Mormon scripture: Search diligently, pray always, and be believing, and all things shall work together for your good. “I have gone through a process of very thorough analysis and searching, and I have prayed through this process,” he told me. “But I don’t pretend that God told me what to do.”

In the end, the evidence was inescapable. “The president did in fact pressure a foreign government to corrupt our election process,” Romney said. “And really, corrupting an election process in a democratic republic is about as abusive and egregious an act against the Constitution—and one's oath—that I can imagine. It's what autocrats do.”
    Soooooo cool. Mitt just fucking happens!!!

Leave a comment:

• myboynoah
    replied
    A Profile in Courage

But Republicans aren’t alone in being exposed by Romney’s admirable conduct. Maybe Democrats and those in the media who delighted in vilifying Romney in 2012—Senator Harry Reid lied about Romney’s taxes; an Obama super PAC tied him to a woman’s cancer death—might, in their private moments, rethink and even feel some remorse for what they did. Maybe they will see, if only for a few fleeting seconds, that they allowed their partisanship to overwhelm their sense of decency, that they sought to destroy the reputation of a man of enormous personal integrity to further their political aims.

Maybe, too, they will begin to understand that people on both sides of the aisle engage in the politics of personal destruction—although Trump plays this game better than they do—and when both sides do it, great injury is inflicted not only on our politics but also on our civic culture.

There’s an old hymn with which Romney is familiar, “Do What Is Right.” The chorus includes this line: “Do what is right; let the consequence follow.” It’s one thing to sing those words. It’s an entirely different thing to live them out.

Mitt Romney has lived those words, and history will honor him for having done so.
    Mitt Happens!!!

Leave a comment:

• tooblue
    replied
    Originally posted by SeatleTroll
    Look, Mitt is old, he's run for president. He doesn't need this. He'd rather be an outlier, and bet on his legacy. But I think to history he may look vengeful, pious, resentful, and petty.
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Maybe he is genuinely following his conscience on this one. Does that make him petty and pious? Good grief.
    Looks like Seattle is on the wrong side of history, again ...
    Last edited by tooblue; 02-05-2020, 04:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lost Student
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Maybe he is genuinely following his conscience on this one. Does that make him petty and pious? Good grief.
    Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
    Only a wanker could think Romney is jealous of Trump.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Lebowski
    replied
    Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Look, Mitt is old, he's run for president. He doesn't need this. He'd rather be an outlier, and bet on his legacy. But I think to history he may look vengeful, pious, resentful, and petty.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X