Utah Governor Spencer Cox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
    why does this need to be legislated? are we going to start legislating bans on the sale of candy and soda to kids without a parent's consent?
    If candy and soda were objectively demonstrated to be causing a mental heath crisis, then yes.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

why does this need to be legislated? are we going to start legislating bans on the sale of candy and soda to kids without a parent's consent?
      So that when Spencer Cox runs for Prez in 4 years he can point to this and say, we did something!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

If candy and soda were objectively demonstrated to be causing a mental heath crisis, then yes.
        The ramifications of this are legion, you really want social media tech having a governmental verified profile of every Utahn that uses instagram?

What about people passing through the state? Will they have to verify their age before being able to login?

If TikTok is bad, what’s next? Reddit? FB? Etc?

How soon before VZ is sharing website information with the government about each citizens internet usage?

It’s a dumb messaging bill masquerading as help.

Comment

why does it have to be a mental health crisis? it is objectively causing an obesity crisis.
          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by fusnik View Post

The ramifications of this are legion, you really want social media tech having a governmental verified profile of every Utahn that uses instagram?

What about people passing through the state? Will they have to verify their age before being able to login?

If TikTok is bad, what’s next? Reddit? FB? Etc?

How soon before VZ is sharing website information with the government about each citizens internet usage?

It’s a dumb messaging bill masquerading as help.
            You keep saying it is a "dumb messaging bill" without any evidence or basis. What is the message? We care about kids? Every national commentator I have seen on this has shown respect for and empathy with the intent, even if they have issues with the implementation. California has passed a law requiring social media companies to handle kids differently in terms of default privacy settings, etc. Was that a "dumb messaging bill"?
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Great idea! old_gregg for President!
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

why does it have to be a mental health crisis? it is objectively causing an obesity crisis.
                Good point. I'm sold.
                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

You keep saying it is a "dumb messaging bill" without any evidence or basis. What is the message? We care about kids? Every national commentator I have seen on this has shown respect for and empathy with the intent, even if they have issues with the implementation. California has passed a law requiring social media companies to handle kids differently in terms of default privacy settings, etc. Was that a "dumb messaging bill"?
                  Enacting laws for performative reasons, I’m against that. I think there are moral hazards for the government creating ‘laws’ that affect everyone with no real enforcement.

Who enforces the new guidelines?

It seems the only penalties will be in the form of easier lawsuits against SM giants and opt outs for following the rules? That’s the definition of performative law making.

And again, if TikTok is bad, when do all the other online ills get throttled?

How soon before this website is required to have age verification before participation?

Comment

Enacting laws for performative reasons, I’m against that. I think there are moral hazards for the government creating ‘laws’ that affect everyone with no real enforcement.
                    You are the only one claiming this is performative. I believe the intent is genuine.

Originally posted by fusnik View Post
                    And again, if TikTok is bad, when do all the other online ills get throttled?
                    This is a classic example of the slippery slope logical fallacy.

Comment

How soon before this website is required to have age verification before participation?
                      we should have age verification to make the boomers gtfo

Comment

we should have age verification to make the boomers gtfo

Comment

This is a classic example of the slippery slope logical fallacy.
                          why? it illustrates the absurdity of the premise.

Comment

why? it illustrates the absurdity of the premise.
                            "If we can't do everything, we shouldn't do anything."

Right now there is a small subset of SM sites that completely dominate. Great place to start.

Comment

• I think the truth is that this bill won't perform the way it is intended, but I think it will end up requiring that SM companies change their practices, which is really the end goal. I like the law, even if it is imperfect.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

"If we can't do everything, we shouldn't do anything."

Right now there is a small subset of SM sites that completely dominate. Great place to start.
                                it's the opposite: if we take action x for y reason, then action z ostensibly motivated by y reason can be justified. it's reductive show politics, when the real answer is a harder truth than people are willing to accept or can be legislated--good and present parenting.

Comment

Working...
                                X