Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by BlueK View Post
    Did anyone notice the 7-2 Supreme Court decision today upholding the Affordable Care Act?
    Yup. A few conservative pundits I read were disappointed—because instead of rejecting the dumb argument on the merits, which is what they wanted, the court said the states don’t have standing.

    Very few people thought this one had legs.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

    Comment


    • The Supreme Court unanimously held that NCAA rules limiting the educational benefits that can be provided to student-athletes violated antitrust law. The outcome itself is pretty narrow, but the implications for the NCAA's entire scheme of amateurism rules is incredible. If you're interested in this kind of stuff, I highly recommend reading Justice Kavanaugh's concurring opinion. It is a short and easy read. He completely eviscerates the NCAA's claim that it should be excused from antitrust scrutiny because it is trying to preserve "amateurism." He suggests that the Court's ruling raises serious doubts about the legality of all of the NCAA's rules regarding player compensation.

      One of my favorite lines from the Kavanaugh opinion:

      Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate.
      Here is the entire decision. Kavanaugh's opinion starts on Page 41.

      https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...0-512_gfbh.pdf

      Comment


      • Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
        The Supreme Court unanimously held that NCAA rules limiting the educational benefits that can be provided to student-athletes violated antitrust law. The outcome itself is pretty narrow, but the implications for the NCAA's entire scheme of amateurism rules is incredible. If you're interested in this kind of stuff, I highly recommend reading Justice Kavanaugh's concurring opinion. It is a short and easy read. He completely eviscerates the NCAA's claim that it should be excused from antitrust scrutiny because it is trying to preserve "amateurism." He suggests that the Court's ruling raises serious doubts about the legality of all of the NCAA's rules regarding player compensation.

        One of my favorite lines from the Kavanaugh opinion:



        Here is the entire decision. Kavanaugh's opinion starts on Page 41.

        https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...0-512_gfbh.pdf
        Gracias.
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

        Comment


        • Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
          The Supreme Court unanimously held that NCAA rules limiting the educational benefits that can be provided to student-athletes violated antitrust law. The outcome itself is pretty narrow, but the implications for the NCAA's entire scheme of amateurism rules is incredible. If you're interested in this kind of stuff, I highly recommend reading Justice Kavanaugh's concurring opinion. It is a short and easy read. He completely eviscerates the NCAA's claim that it should be excused from antitrust scrutiny because it is trying to preserve "amateurism." He suggests that the Court's ruling raises serious doubts about the legality of all of the NCAA's rules regarding player compensation.

          One of my favorite lines from the Kavanaugh opinion:



          Here is the entire decision. Kavanaugh's opinion starts on Page 41.

          https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...0-512_gfbh.pdf
          This is my favorite part of Kavanaugh's opinion.

          In my view, that argument is circular and unpersuasive. The NCAA couches its arguments for not paying student athletes in innocuous labels. But the labels cannot disguise the reality: The NCAA’s business model would be flatly illegal in almost any other industry in America. All of the restaurants in a region cannot come together to cut cooks’ wages on the theory that “customers prefer” to eat food from low-paid cooks. Law firms cannot conspire to cabin lawyers’ salaries in the name of providing legal services out of a “love of the law.” Hospitals cannot agree to cap nurses’ income in order to create a “purer” form of helping the sick. News organizations cannot join forces to curtail pay to reporters to preserve a “tradition” of public-minded journalism. Movie studios cannot collude to slash benefits to camera crews to kindle a “spirit of amateurism” in Hollywood.
          As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
          --Kendrick Lamar

          Comment


          • Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post

            This is my favorite part of Kavanaugh's opinion.
            I'm not a lawyer, but that is kind of incendiary. I like it.

            I also love that the NCAA put out a response that said that this is basically Kavanaugh going rogue, because none of the other justices would sign off on it. Lol.

            This is one monopoly that is finding out that its foundation is crumbling.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post

              This is my favorite part of Kavanaugh's opinion.
              That part was great too. I listened to the oral argument and it was obvious that almost none of the justices were buying the NCAA's amateurism defense. I don't think Kavanaugh is the only one that thinks the NCAA is nothing more than a glorified cartel.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by UVACoug View Post

                That part was great too. I listened to the oral argument and it was obvious that almost none of the justices were buying the NCAA's amateurism defense. I don't think Kavanaugh is the only one that thinks the NCAA is nothing more than a glorified cartel.
                Just finished reading the opinions. Kavanaugh brought the heat. That concurring opinion should be a wake-up call to the NCAA to work out a compensation plan with the players before it goes back to litigation.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Pelado View Post

                  Just finished reading the opinions. Kavanaugh brought the heat. That concurring opinion should be a wake-up call to the NCAA to work out a compensation plan with the players before it goes back to litigation.
                  What happens when/if former players start suing the NCAA and individual universities for their slice of the pie they weren't granted access to while operating as a student athlete?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by tooblue View Post

                    What happens when/if former players start suing the NCAA and individual universities for their slice of the pie they weren't granted access to while operating as a student athlete?
                    I don't know. Maybe the NCAA will have to find a way to come up with the money to redress the wrong they perpetuated against the "student athletes."

                    Amateurism is a farce, it always has been.
                    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                    --Kendrick Lamar

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by tooblue View Post

                      What happens when/if former players start suing the NCAA and individual universities for their slice of the pie they weren't granted access to while operating as a student athlete?
                      The same thing that will happen to people that paid off their student loans when all student loans are forgiven. Nothing. Or the satisfaction they helped society while their colleagues are given a free ride.


                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X