SLC Airport to be Demolished and Rebuilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLC Airport to be Demolished and Rebuilt

As someone who has pass through the airport 50 or so times a year, I am excited to see how it end up being transformed, though I may not end up being the roadster I am now by then.

The Mayor is hoping to break ground next year and it will take about a decade to complete.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1891...ed-and-rebuilt

Wow. That's the third $1B+ project in SLC in a pretty short period of time. Great time for commercial builders.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
      Wow. That's the third $1B+ project in SLC in a pretty short period of time. Great time for commercial builders.
      Saves the construction industry in Wasatch Front just in time considering the City Creek development is almost finished.

Comment

Pretty cool. I love the SLC Airport. Access is painless and navigation is simple.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

It will be interesting to see how much of the project will be done by Utah commercial builders and how much from outside.

Isn't the company running the show on the freeway reconstruction down in Utah a non-Utah company.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
            Pretty cool. I love the SLC Airport. Access is painless and navigation is simple.

I have no major complaints about SLC, but a modernization will be great.

One airport that is long overdue to be destroyed and rebuilt is LAX. that thing SUCKS.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
              It will be interesting to see how much of the project will be done by Utah commercial builders and how much from outside.

Isn't the company running the show on the freeway reconstruction down in Utah a non-Utah company.
              I'm not sure. A couple of years ago there was a controversy when a Colorado-based construction company lost a competitive bid for freeway construction to a Utah company. IIRC, the source selection process was tainted when the Colo company scored higher on the objective criteria but the Utah company was a donor to Herbert. On threat of appeal, the Herbert administration unilaterally paid out $13M to settle the situation without seeking approval from the legislature or the AG's office. I could have some details wrong, but I believe that's the gist of it.

I think most of the City Creek Center is being done by Jacobson and Big D. Big D is also a prime on the NSA project, but part of the work is being done by a UK firm.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post

As with most of these huge projects, the I-15 team is a consortium of builders (2 national, 2 local) The lead is Fluor, but to get the work they teamed with Wadsworth and Wadsworth Builders as their local partners.

The $1.5B Utah Data Center project currently under construction at Camp Williams is led by Balfour Beatty/DPR with Big-D Construction as their local partner.

Jacobsen and Okland Construction had most of the City Creek work.
                "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                  As with most of these huge projects, the I-15 team is a consortium of builders (2 national, 2 local) The lead is Fluor, but to get the work they teamed with Wadsworth and Wadsworth Builders as their local partners.

The $1.5B Utah Data Center project currently under construction at Camp Williams is led by Balfour Beatty/DPR with Big-D Construction as their local partner.

Jacobsen and Okland Construction had most of the City Creek work.
                  Interesting. How many I-15 projects are there right now?

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                    One airport that is long overdue to be destroyed and rebuilt is LAX. that thing SUCKS.
                    I hate flying into LAX. It's the worst.

Comment

Interesting. How many I-15 projects are there right now?
                      I'm sure there are several going on, but the big one is the I-15 Core reconstruction through Utah County. That is the Provo River Constructors job that is made up of Fluor, Ames, and Wadsworth.
                      "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

It was refreshing to read that the SL Airport Authority has no debt, $250M to start the project, and an 8-year plan for construction that won't put the cost on the taxpayers.

Comment

It was refreshing to read that the SL Airport Authority has no debt, $250M to start the project, and an 8-year plan for construction that won't put the cost on the taxpayers.
                          That is great. It's the same reason I love the toll roads in Orange County. It's a shame more infrastructure projects can't be run this way. There is so much waste and mismanagement.

Comment

I felt the same. When I saw the headline, my initial thought was, "Great. This will be another expensive project that costs more than projected and takes forever to finish." I read further on and saw this, and I thought that it would be nice if more projects were run this way.
                            Not that, sickos.

Comment

1-15 is being done by Wadsworth brothers, Provo River contractors under the supervision of Clyde and company. All 3 are Utah based.

Wadsworth is the company that came up with the design and idea to build the overpasses and bridges off to the side of the freeway and then move them in to place in one night.
                              *Banned*

Comment

Working...
                              X