The Energy Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

The professor guy near the end of this 60 Minutes report said that Joe Biden's goal of achieving commercial nuclear fusion within ten years is pure BS... we most likely won't see commercial fusion power until like 2050. And to get those 3 megajoules out it actually took like 300 megajoules in (not 2 megajoules). They still need to work on that efficiency problem.

Commercial fusion power is possible but it is going to take a heck of a lot more engineering. We can't live on solar and wind power until then.
    Wow, talk about a gigantic buzzkill.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Wow, talk about a gigantic buzzkill.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

It will probably be a political fight over spending money on it early on. I'm guessing that when you factor in all the costs, fusion will be more expensive at first.
        Yeah, that is the whole issue. Figuring out fusion is not as cheap as putting a lump of coal on the fire. That's why we haven't done it yet.
        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post

Yeah, that is the whole issue. Figuring out fusion is not as cheap as putting a lump of coal on the fire. That's why we haven't done it yet.
          This makes sense. Solar was around for 50 years before it could be profitably scaled.
          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post

This makes sense. Solar was around for 50 years before it could be profitably scaled.
            Uh...
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Uh...
              I'm pretty sure he means using solar power to generate electricity. We all get that the sun has been around for more than 50 years.

Comment

I'm pretty sure he means using solar power to generate electricity. We all get that the sun has been around for more than 50 years.
                Uh.., I think you may be misinterpreting The Dudes, "uh..."

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

I know, but that's even less funny than my already not-particularly-funny joke.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

Somebody gets me!

Every time I have looked into solar panels, "cost effective" is not the conclusion I came to.

Comment

Somebody gets me!

Every time I have looked into solar panels, "cost effective" is not the conclusion I came to.
                      At least not cost effective without significant government subsidies and if it requires government subsidies then profitable is not typically the word of choice.

Comment

Somebody gets me!

It’s definitely a large capital investment, but commercial solar is now cheaper than coal generation (with an important cabeat re: the cost of intermitency of solar)

You’re probably too old to payout your rooftop
                        panels at this point, unless cost of power increases significantly in your golden years or you buy and install them yourself.

I think solar could survive no subsidies at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post

It’s definitely a large capital investment, but commercial solar is now cheaper than coal generation (with an important cabeat re: the cost of intermitency of solar)
                          That’s a pretty big caveat.

Comment

That’s a pretty big caveat.
                            For sure. But there are fossil-fuel- based solutions that are also cheaper than coal. Which is all to say, solar is on the right track.

Comment

• https://www.reuters.com/business/ene...gy-2023-03-09/

Commonwealth Fusion Systems, based In Massachusetts, is building a reactor aimed to produce net energy by 2025, and a large-scale reactor putting power on the grid in the early 2030s.

Comment

https://www.reuters.com/business/ene...gy-2023-03-09/

Commonwealth Fusion Systems, based In Massachusetts, is building a reactor aimed to produce net energy by 2025, and a large-scale reactor putting power on the grid in the early 2030s.
                                That's quick.
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X