No announcement yet.

Investing, finally some facts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While we're talking about UT, a lady in our ward who is a little off the deep end was getting after someone on Facebook for posting the Devil sign. Even after explaining it was the UT hook 'em horns, she wasn't satisfied. It was of the Devil.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
      While we're talking about UT, a lady in our ward who is a little off the deep end was getting after someone on Facebook for posting the Devil sign. Even after explaining it was the UT hook 'em horns, she wasn't satisfied. It was of the Devil.
      Both sides can be right you know.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I had forgotten about this thread so I looked for Nikola updates. Milton was charged with securities fraud earlier this year:

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/trev...ry?id=79142070
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

Comment

What would be a good, well-diversified investment as hedge against inflation with a 2-3 year outlook? I'm leery of gold, silver, bitcoin, and I'm not a market timer, but I think it seems obvious inflation is coming.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
            What would be a good, well-diversified investment as hedge against inflation with a 2-3 year outlook? I'm leery of gold, silver, bitcoin, and I'm not a market timer, but I think it seems obvious inflation is coming.
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Coming? It's already here. The question is will it continue to rise, level out, or (unlikely) drop.

Vanguard has a Short Term Inflation Protected ETF (VTIP). I thought I'd get ahead of the game and put some money into it in early 2021. However, returns as of today have been flat. Which actually means a loss since inflation has gone up during that time. So I wouldn't recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post

Coming? It's already here. The question is will it continue to rise, level out, or (unlikely) drop.

Vanguard has a Short Term Inflation Protected ETF (VTIP). I thought I'd get ahead of the game and put some money into it in early 2021. However, returns as of today have been flat. Which actually means a loss since inflation has gone up during that time. So I wouldn't recommend it.
                Thanks, this reminds me I probably need to stick to my long term belief that the markets can't be timed.

Comment

Thanks, this reminds me I probably need to stick to my long term belief that the markets can't be timed.
                  I was going to say that it's too late now, or at least you know it's too late when regular guys on a message board are trying to figure out where to invest to hedge against inflation. The better time would've been when the Fed dumped huge amounts of money into the market, which is now making its way through the system.

If you would've asked me 14 months ago I would have told you oil and gas. The companies that weathered the storm of early 2020 (most large public companies made it while smaller private companies failed) have more than doubled in value. I ended up with a bunch of stock in January 2021 due to one of the several mergers and I faced a choice of diversifying it or keeping it in O&G. I decided to keep most of it in O&G and that has paid off handsomely. Oil would've been expensive just on its own since it's a consumable commodity, but the perfect storm of skyrocketing demand from the world economy reopening and choked supply due to green initiatives and lack of funding, plus now a war is going to cripple supply even more, and now I'm feeling pretty good about my foresight...even a broken clock is right twice a day...
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

I was going to say that it's too late now, or at least you know it's too late when regular guys on a message board are trying to figure out where to invest to hedge against inflation. The better time would've been when the Fed dumped huge amounts of money into the market, which is now making its way through the system.

If you would've asked me 14 months ago I would have told you oil and gas. The companies that weathered the storm of early 2020 (most large public companies made it while smaller private companies failed) have more than doubled in value. I ended up with a bunch of stock in January 2021 due to one of the several mergers and I faced a choice of diversifying it or keeping it in O&G. I decided to keep most of it in O&G and that has paid off handsomely. Oil would've been expensive just on its own since it's a consumable commodity, but the perfect storm of skyrocketing demand from the world economy reopening and choked supply due to green initiatives and lack of funding, plus now a war is going to cripple supply even more, and now I'm feeling pretty good about my foresight...even a broken clock is right twice a day...
                    I bought an energy ETF in late 2020. It has done well.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

I bought an energy ETF in late 2020. It has done well.

Last year was a record year for the compnay I work for and this year is already looking better...unfortunately for most of the world.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                      X