No announcement yet.

2024 Presidential Election Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Lol you posting bs tweets backing desantis now?

https://news.yahoo.com/ron-desantis-...170100244.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Maximus View Post
        Lol you posting bs tweets backing desantis now?

https://news.yahoo.com/ron-desantis-...170100244.html
        Are you talking to me? You think Tom Nichols is a DeSantis fan? That's funny.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          DeSantis is objectively an awful candidate.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post

DeSantis is objectively an awful candidate.
            I don't want to speak for JL, but I think that is his point. Let's talk about the awfulness of DeSantis, rather than speculating that he was probably joyfully sticking toothpicks under people's fingernails, or that he is almost certainly going to dissolve congress and establish a theo-facist dictatorship or whatever else.

I said something like this in a previous post, but when we (and yes, I am definitely in this group) talked in 2020 along the lines of "We need to defeat Trump as he is a generationally bad candidate. He is the worst thing to happen to democracy in 100 years", and then 3 years later we say "OMG, this guy is even worse!!!", it is going to strain the credibility a bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post

I don't want to speak for JL, but I think that is his point. Let's talk about the awfulness of DeSantis, rather than speculating that he was probably joyfully sticking toothpicks under people's fingernails, or that he is almost certainly going to dissolve congress and establish a theo-facist dictatorship or whatever else.

I said something like this in a previous post, but when we (and yes, I am definitely in this group) talked in 2020 along the lines of "We need to defeat Trump as he is a generationally bad candidate. He is the worst thing to happen to democracy in 100 years", and then 3 years later we say "OMG, this guy is even worse!!!", it is going to strain the credibility a bit.
              These aren't normal political times and the viability of the GOP as healthy political actor would continue to be doubt with Ron.

He has done shitty things. We have talked about it. Shipping immigrants all over the country to score political points and for shits and giggles, all while defrauding them do it, is awful.

Trying exert control over Disney should upset genuine conservatives. He has resisted federal oversight into his state's elections. Ordering the state to have their flags at half staff because Rush Limbaugh died was silly partisan horseshit.
              He sent LE after a health department scientist who wouldn't fudge Covid numbers.

Ron is quite the culture warrior. His micromanaging college courses and what can be taught is embarrassing and damaging to Florida public education. I think he has taken a brave stand by outlawing drag queen shows within certain parameters.

Trump is the worst and most morally flawed president we have ever had. Trump is awful, more awful than DeSantis, but he is still right up that alley. Trump's critics were overreacting, but Trump loyalists have their heads in the sand.

Seeing DeSantos as much of an upgrade is short sided.

Last edited by frank ryan; 03-10-2023, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post

These aren't normal political times and the viability of the GOP as healthy political actor would continue to be doubt with Ron.

He has done shitty things. We have talked about it. Shipping immigrants all over the country to score political points and for shits and giggles, all while defrauding them do it, is awful.

Trying exert control over Disney should upset genuine conservatives. He has resisted federal oversight into his state's elections. Ordering the state to have their flags at half staff because Rush Limbaugh died was silly partisan horseshit.
                He sent LE after a health department scientist who wouldn't fudge Covid numbers.

Ron is quite the culture warrior. His micromanaging college courses and what can be taught is embarrassing and damaging to Florida public education. I think he has taken a brave stand by outlawing drag queen shows within certain parameters.

Trump is the worst and most morally flawed president we have ever had. Trump is awful, more awful than DeSantis, but he is still right up that alley. Trump's critics were overreacting, but Trump loyalists have their heads in the sand.

Seeing DeSantos as much of an upgrade is short sided.

I don't disagree with any of this. To me, I think it is more effective to point out his very real flaws, like the ones you pointed out, rather than:

1. Continually trying to position him as "even worse than Trump!". Whether it is true or not, I don't think it is useful.
                2. Bringing up speculative/unproven/irrelevant things to try to make him look like some monster

Comment

I mean, the tweet I quoted speaks for itself.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."

Comment

• lol

Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

I don't disagree with any of this. To me, I think it is more effective to point out his very real flaws, like the ones you pointed out, rather than:

1. Continually trying to position him as "even worse than Trump!". Whether it is true or not, I don't think it is useful.
                      2. Bringing up speculative/unproven/irrelevant things to try to make him look like some monster
                      Go east on frank, he’s the UT of the left on this board. We need his weird conspiracy theories about Ron Desantis to counter the weird stuff posted about hunter Biden!
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

Go east on frank, he’s the UT of the left on this board. We need his weird conspiracy theories about Ron Desantis to counter the weird stuff posted about hunter Biden!
                        lol wut

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

No Moli, I don't post weird conspiracy theories or random tweets. I'm informed even if you don't agree with me.

Comment

• President Camacho 2024

https://www.statesman.com/story/ente...aign=austin360

Comment

• A territorial dispute? Kind of like the one Hitler had with Poland?

Comment

• He is the worst. Well, maybe the second.
                                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                                - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                                X