2022 Midterm Elections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by USUC View Post

I agree. He is the worst and led the way for Bobert, MTG, and the rest. But he was voted in because he was the most clearly anti establishment person running. And because the media propped him up because in their minds it would make the GOP look foolish and ensure a Hillary victory. Looking back, there were several ways Trumped could have been stopped. But people thought they could use him for their own benefit all the while believing someone else would stop him because he was a buffoon.
    I agree with most of the points here. I don't buy into the conspiracy that the media propped up Trump to get Hillary elected. The media propped up Trump because it was good for ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

People get mad when their lives are disrupted. Further, they are neither logical nor often intelligent. They elected Donald Trump.

No specifically, Biden campaigned that unlike Trump he had all the right answers wrt Covid. Unfortunately for him there are no right answers. There are better answers but no silver bullet. It isn't his fault Covid hasn't been stopped but it is his fault folks are holding him accountable for a failure to deliver on his promise.
      Exactly correct. Biden said he’d shut down the virus. He hasn’t. He can blame the anti vaxxers for that but that’s a tenuous argument that most people won’t buy. Why? Because countries that are much more vaccinated than us as in the same boat with exploding case counts. Now we are facing a predictable surge of cases and the government was again caught flat footed without adequate testing available and adequate preparations. Peoples lives are again being disrupted and the government will take th brunt of that angst and the democrats control the government.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post

I agree with most of the points here. I don't buy into the conspiracy that the media propped up Trump to get Hillary elected. The media propped up Trump because it was good for ratings.
        I think you are right, this is a much better explanation for the media.

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post

Correct.

--sorry, we're going to interrupt now because Donald Trump just walked out of a builing and we have a camera and microphone there snd can't wait to hear what batshit crazy thing he's going to say next--

It wasn't about propping him up. It was about following a freak show because it was entertaining for a while.
          Last edited by BlueK; 01-11-2022, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post

Correct.

--sorry, we're going to interrupt now because Donald Trump just walked out of a builing and we have a camera and microphone there snd can't wait to hear what batshit crazy thing he's going to say next--

It wasn't about propping him up. It wss about following a freak show because it was entertaining for a while.
            But propped up he was none the less.

Comment

Ha. Media conspiracy. OK.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Yeah, I'm not buying it either. He truly is a symptom of our collective disfunction. If he wasn't popular with his base, the media wouldn't have covered him. The media didn't make him popular.

Comment

For the ones to whom it mattered the most, conservative media was propping him up when it mattered. Sure the mainstream media gave him a ton of airtime running up to election, but as others have said it was more highlighting the freak show rather than propping him up to the general population.
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Nice of you to cherry pick this example that I've since clarified.

Comment

Nice of you to cherry pick this example that I've since clarified.
                      Sorry. Carry on.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Sure, of course it ended up helping Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the covid thing and how one can logically be mad at Biden both for a surge in covid and for trying to get employers to mandate employees be vaccinated. I don't see how those two complaints can be present in the same mind.
                          Most people are perfectly capable of holding two mutually exclusive ideas in their mind at the same time.

Have you seen that sketch on Youtube where the customer wants parallel lines that also intersect and they want red lines to be drawn in invisible ink? It's meant as a joke but the reason it's funny is because there is such a huge element of truth to it. Humans are emotional, petulant, capricious, fickle, irrational creatures.

EDIT: One of my favorite movie quotes is from Men in Black: "A person is smart. People are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it"
                          Last edited by BigFatMeanie; 01-11-2022, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Dan Crenshaw isn’t perfect, but he’s not nearly as bad as many people think. I haven’t seen a lot of support for Cheney even from her own party so this is nice to see.
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

Dan Crenshaw isn’t perfect, but he’s not nearly as bad as many people think. I haven’t seen a lot of support for Cheney even from her own party so this is nice to see.
                              Wow. Good for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

Crenshaw did some stuff early on that I really didn't like. Or maybe I am confusing him with someone else, because I can't remember what those things are. But anyway, I really like how he has recently taken on the crazy wing of the Republican party.

Comment

Working...
                                X