2022 Midterm Elections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by USUC View Post

Oh come on. Do you guys interact with normies in your day to day life at all?

Even with the acknowledgement that Jan 6th was bad (only crazy MAGA folks don't have a sense that it was wrong), to most people it was a bad event that happened a year ago and there hasn't been any other tangible threat since. You and I know that an attempt to overturn the election occurred. And MAGA world is actively trying to undermine the system to this day. But they haven't been successful. The threat is all in the abstract right now. What matters to voters are real world, practical things that personally affect them in the here and now. We are all high information voters and hyper focused on the abstract.

Now the practical matters may change in the next 10 months that changes the fortunes of either party. But it won't be because Jan 6th happened and the attempt failed. Memories are short.
    It’s the economy, stupid.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I caught part of a story on the radio a few days ago that said that every mid-term election except one in the last 60-something years has resulted in the party not holding the White House to gain ground in the House of Representatives - and more often than not take the majority in the house.

With that in mind - and looking at Biden's approval ratings - I suspect that the GOP will make some pretty good progress in the House during mid-terms.

That said - I'm much more interested in seeing if Becky Edwards can take Mike Lee's spot in the senate.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
        That said - I'm much more interested in seeing if Becky Edwards can take Mike Lee's spot in the senate.
        Someone remind me when I need to register as a Republican so I can vote in the primaries.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

Someone remind me when I need to register as a Republican so I can vote in the primaries.
          Now works

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post

Now works
            No way. I want to be last minute. They'll moan and complain about all us dummycrats changing parties to vote in their primaries.

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
              I think the Democrats' best chances to do well is to make the midterm about Trump and the insurrection. If they are able to engage Trump and get him involved, they will be able to get their voters out to the polls. I'm not thrilled about this prospect. The Republicans naturally have the advantage with the Democratic record on trial, but they probably need Trump to go away. So far they haven't been successful with that.

I'm hoping covid isn't an issue by this fall.
              Exactly. That's where the report of the investigation's findings comes in. Short memories of a year ago sure. Now hand them the testimony of witnesses saying why Trump wouldn't stop it as well as everything they did to cause it. It won't matter in gerrymandered Republican districts but could be just enough to sway enough independents in swing districts. There is a reason the gop is trying so hard to keep it under the rug. It's not because they think people wouldn't care if given certain facts they haven't had.
              Last edited by BlueK; 01-11-2022, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

It’s the economy, stupid.
                Is the economy really that bad? There is some inflation because so many have more money. Jobs are not hard to get and workers are able to quit and move around pretty much how they want. Millions of older workers have decided they can retire and are leaving jobs for everyone else.

Comment

If the economy is the issue, I don't see immigration being a big issue. Can't say that foreigners are stealing jobs when there is such a shortage of workers. I have my doubts that it is just an economic issue though for most republicans.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

No way. I want to be last minute. They'll moan and complain about all us dummycrats changing parties to vote in their primaries.
                    Be careful. I think the utah legislature passed a law restricting when you can change parties. They want to try to prevent people from switching at the last second just to vote in the primaries.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Be careful. I think the utah legislature passed a law restricting when you can change parties. They want to try to prevent people from switching at the last second just to vote in the primaries.
                      Yeah, I'm not sure they ever passed anything. I'll look into it to make sure. But I want it to be clear they don't have my allegiance.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post

Is the economy really that bad? There is some inflation because so many have more money. Jobs are not hard to get and workers are able to quit and move around pretty much how they want. Millions of older workers have decided they can retire and are leaving jobs for everyone else.
                        It depends on what you mean by economy. The average person has a higher net worth now than they have had in the previous 30 years. Rich people are richer than they have ever been and middle class to lower class are richer than they were under Reagan.

I’d wager that most folks net worth here over the last 13 years has quadrupled.

Comment

Originally posted by USUC View Post

Oh come on. Do you guys interact with normies in your day to day life at all?

Even with the acknowledgement that Jan 6th was bad (only crazy MAGA folks don't have a sense that it was wrong), to most people it was a bad event that happened a year ago and there hasn't been any other tangible threat since. You and I know that an attempt to overturn the election occurred. And MAGA world is actively trying to undermine the system to this day. But they haven't been successful. The threat is all in the abstract right now. What matters to voters are real world, practical things that personally affect them in the here and now. We are all high information voters and hyper focused on the abstract.

Now the practical matters may change in the next 10 months that changes the fortunes of either party. But it won't be because Jan 6th happened and the attempt failed. Memories are short.
                          So what you are saying is that 1/6 wasbad, but it wasn't that big of a deal because we've gone an entire year with no repeat? I think the democrats should absolutely use 1/6 in the election; I'd talk about it all the time. If I were Beto (ojala) or someone running against a Ted Cruz-republican, I would constatntly drum up their views on the topic and whether they think those were "patriots" in the captiol that day.

Now, I know there are a lot of "normies" (isn't that a Q term?) that think it was no big deal, just tourists taking selfies on a day spolied by a few bad apples with buffalo horns. But those people are in the fox news sweet spot already. Most people who are willing to vote democrat if the stars align, think it was one of the worst American displays of people under the sway of a megalomaniac leader in history.

But feel free to urge democrats to focus on CRT and MS-13. Much more concrete topics.

Comment

Per vote.utah.gov:

March 31: Last day for a registered voter may change their voter affiliation before the regular primary election.
                            Regular Primary Election – June 28, 2022

So, I'll change on March 30 to give myself some leeway, and then again on June 29, just so no one can question my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post

So what you are saying is that 1/6 wasbad, but it wasn't that big of a deal because we've gone an entire year with no repeat? I think the democrats should absolutely use 1/6 in the election; I'd talk about it all the time. If I were Beto (ojala) or someone running against a Ted Cruz-republican, I would constatntly drum up their views on the topic and whether they think those were "patriots" in the captiol that day.

Now, I know there are a lot of "normies" (isn't that a Q term?) that think it was no big deal, just tourists taking selfies on a day spolied by a few bad apples with buffalo horns. But those people are in the fox news sweet spot already. Most people who are willing to vote democrat if the stars align, think it was one of the worst American displays of people under the sway of a megalomaniac leader in history.

But feel free to urge democrats to focus on CRT and MS-13. Much more concrete topics.
                              I think that 1/6 was a big deal and more than just tourists who found the capitol doors open and went inside to take selfies. I'm pretty happy with the ongoing effort to find and prosecute everyone they can, in fact.

But I think it would be a mistake for the Democrats to continue running on the "January 6th was horrible, and so was Donald Trump" platform.

I think anyone pushing either end already has their groupies. As you say - the "no big deal" folks are already all in on Fox. But I think you're missing that the "there was almost a coup and democracy very nearly died" folks are already all in on MSNBC.

I think if either side wants to pick up those in the middle - who will swing the election to one side or the other - they better bring more than talk of January 6th.

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post

Where did I say Jan 6th wasn't a big deal?

I'm a bit surprised you guys seem so resistant to something that has been obvious to politicians for centuries. Where is this polling that you can show me that focusing on Jan 6th is going to be so helpful for Dems? Somehow you think that Jan 6th will live on in the memories of everyone and will supersede concerns about inflation (yes its a big deal and it hurts middle class people immensely. It has most certainly been felt by my family), about supply side issues, about education, about the handling of the pandemic (news alert, Biden not viewed any better than Trump right now)?

There is a whole hell of a lot of projection about Jan 6th here. I am as disgusted by it as anyone. But a failed insurrection alone just isn't going to provide you with landslide movement in battle ground states you hope for. Normal people not as politically engaged just don't care that much about it.

If you think there is going to be any penance paid by the GOP, you are mistaken. At best there will be a silent acknowledgment that it was crazy and then it will just be an ignored chapter in the GOP's history. Just like every single shitty thing that a party does never gets publicly atoned for (maybe decades later). The Dems are shitty as well. They are an awful party with awful ideas and kowtowing to fringe elements of their base (just like the GOP). This isn't a black and white case for the everyman as it is your us.

Comment

Working...
                                X