2022 Midterm Elections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Folks we might have a new double down champion.
    How many times do I have to say it’s dumb, I don’t like it, it cedes a moral high ground the Democratic Party needs in this exact moment?

Having said that, I’m very open to reevaluating my position especially considering NRO, Bari Weiss, NYT Editorial page and Falafal all seem to be so upset about this. It’s easier for the media and punditry class to paint the bogey man as the DCCC and drive clicks to their sub stacks than have to have an introspective and difficult conversation on why do these candidates keep winning primaries?

And the dudes here are just sniping examples of democrat bad so that when y’all pull the voting levers for Mike Lee, Adam Laxalt, Kari Lake, Ron DeSantis, Greg Abbott you can ‘feel good’ because the other side jettisoned one MAGA lite person for an Ultra MAGA person. GMAFB.

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post

Yes she is. Most primary-voting Republicans may not be done with Trump but most people in Arizona definitely are. And Blake Masters' commercials are ridiculous and he looks like a drug addled weasel compared to Captain Mark Kelly, who keeps his ads dignified and positive.
      Blake Masters is a white nationalist sanitized by Peter Thiels money. Kari Lake is a disaster. AZ is in serious trouble. The idea these two might represent one of the most important states in the country is unimaginable.

Comment

• Originally posted by fusnik View Post
        And the dudes here are just sniping examples of democrat bad so that when y’all pull the voting levers for Mike Lee, Adam Laxalt, Kari Lake, Ron DeSantis, Greg Abbott you can ‘feel good’ because the other side jettisoned one MAGA lite person for an Ultra MAGA person. GMAFB.
        Again, you're mistaking CS for CB where the quoted observation is likely correct. But if you sincerely believe a majority of those here voted for Trump or are current MAGA supporters you're not nearly as bright as I've thought. GYAFB? GTFO.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

Again, you're mistaking CS for CB where the quoted observation is likely correct. But if you sincerely believe a majority of those here voted for Trump or are current MAGA supporters you're not nearly as bright as I've thought. GYAFB? GTFO.
          CB is basically MAGAstan. Here is MAGAstan adjacent. For a long time I was convinced that not many here voted for the Chris Stewart’s and Jim Jordan’s and Mike Lees and Ted Cruz’s, and Donald Trumps (because is there really a difference between Chris Stewart and DJT?) but now I’m not so convinced. The third party talk BS, the consternation about who to vote for in ‘20, the latching on to the actions of the DCCC, makes me think that there a lot more MAGA voters here than willing to admit.

I’m solidly center left, have been for my entire adulthood. Is the average poster here closer to me ideologically or IPU/Rocky Balboa/Uncle Ted?

Comment

• Originally posted by fusnik View Post

I’m solidly center left, have been for my entire adulthood. Is the average poster here closer to me ideologically or IPU/Rocky Balboa/Uncle Ted?
            Tough call, especially since most here treat binaries and false dichotomies with derision, if not contempt. But to play along, I'm closer to you than to IPU or RB, and not just because of we have the same smoldering sexiness. I can't put Ted on a linear scale as often he seems to be floating around above or below us, albeit mos def to the right. TBH, I'm not sure where I fall on any linear scale. I like a lot of genuinely conservative pundits (e.g., Jonah Goldberg, David French) but disagree with some of their takes. I voted for Obama and Romney (but not in the same election). My favorite candidate in 2020 was probably Buttigieg. I prefer limited government but I acknowledge the tremendous good (despite myriad issues/problems) government has performed, and can yet perform (see, e.g., Lewis' The Fifth Risk). And yet again, I pledge my elder son's inheritance that I will never vote for a MAGA candidate.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

Tough call, especially since most here treat binaries and false dichotomies with derision, if not contempt. But to play along, I'm closer to you than to IPU or RB, and not just because of we have the same smoldering sexiness. I can't put Ted on a linear scale as often he seems to be floating around above or below us, albeit mos def to the right. TBH, I'm not sure where I fall on any linear scale. I like a lot of genuinely conservative pundits (e.g., Jonah Goldberg, David French) but disagree with some of their takes. I voted for Obama and Romney (but not in the same election). My favorite candidate in 2020 was probably Buttigieg. I prefer limited government but I acknowledge the tremendous good (despite myriad issues/problems) government has performed, and can yet perform (see, e.g., Lewis' The Fifth Risk). And yet again, I pledge my elder son's inheritance that I will never vote for a MAGA candidate.
              You will still fail the purity test somehow. Seems inevitable.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Desantis recap this week:

Pushing school board candidates who have called the police if a book had a lgbt theme in libraries

Sacking a DA for voicing a political opinion he didn't like

He's more dangerous than trump

Comment

• Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                  I guess that is one way to describe it.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Desantis recap this week:

Pushing school board candidates who have called the police if a book had a lgbt theme in libraries

It's interesting how different sources are characterizing DeSantis' firing of state attorney Warren. You characterize the firing as "for voicing a political opinion he didn't like". DeSantis stated that he fired Warren for "neglect of duty" and the executive order outlines the reason why. https://www.flgov.com/wp-content/upl...der-22-176.pdf

Do you really think "voicing a political opinion" is an accurate description of a "pledge to use [his] discretion and not promote the ciminalization of gender-affirming healthcare"?

Comment

I'm no DeSantis fanboy, but it just can't be that anyone who isn't a Dem must be more dangerous than Trump. I remember when McCain was the worst thing ever. I remember when Romney was the worst thing ever. The boy who cries wolf eventually gets eaten by the wolf.

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post

I'm no DeSantis fanboy, but it just can't be that anyone who isn't a Dem must be more dangerous than Trump. I remember when McCain was the worst thing ever. I remember when Romney was the worst thing ever. The boy who cries wolf eventually gets eaten by the wolf.
                        I approve this message. I enjoy listening to Bill Maher apologizing for his attacks on Romney. He still disagrees with Romney on many/most issues, but he acknowledges that he (Maher) and other have often gone too far in ripping on people they disagree with. That said, I dislike DeSantis very much.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

It's interesting how different sources are characterizing DeSantis' firing of state attorney Warren. You characterize the firing as "for voicing a political opinion he didn't like". DeSantis stated that he fired Warren for "neglect of duty" and the executive order outlines the reason why. https://www.flgov.com/wp-content/upl...der-22-176.pdf

Do you really think "voicing a political opinion" is an accurate description of a "pledge to use [his] discretion and not promote the ciminalization of gender-affirming healthcare"?

He is on the question democracry side...refuses to accept 2020 still, jan 6 was fbi conspiracy, the whole bit. no faith he wouldnt go down this line just like trump

Additionally, mostly think he is an authoritarian in the likes of Hungary's leader who wont hesitate to after enemies (gays, democrats, any group who speaks out)

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/24/o...tor-orban.html

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...itarian-future

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...-authoritarian
                          Last edited by Maximus; 08-07-2022, 02:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

You will still fail the purity test somehow. Seems inevitable.
                            I don’t think you know what purity test means. It’s just something you post to deflect.

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post

If the Dems didn’t call us out on our shit, we wouldn’t be supporting the ultimate shit slingers!

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

Do you even follow what he’s doing?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Christina...03744781230080

His spokesperson, the anti-Semite foreign agent, tweeted this the day prior. But I’m sure it’s all about him following the rule of law.

He is culture war spectacle all of the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X