I was wrong about...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was wrong about...

A big problem in this country is people's inability to say these three words--I was wrong. What's the big deal? Any science-minded person has as his (or her) personal ethic that we must always be alert to new and more data and adjust accordingly. With this ethic, graceful transition is not only possible, but morally right, when you are confronted with data demonstrating, "I was wrong."

I'll start. I was wrong about Sitake. I thought there was no way he'd be a successful coach, particularly with BYU's HC obstacles. He's proven that I was wrong. I was wrong about Sitake.

When about a dozen people were sick in Kirkland, WA, I was wrong to scoff at epidemiologists whose day job for years had been waiting for an event such as Covid and predicted this virus would be an existential crisis for every country.

It's time for antivaxxers to admit they have been wrong. Good grief. 2,0000 unvaccinated corpses a day is not enough?

But admitting we were wrong is salutary for all of us. Who else will join me in the baptismal waters of "I was wrong"? Come hither, everyone. Bear your souls. We've all been wrong at times.

(Caveat: I'm nevertheless more often right than wrong, as attested by many swishes here.)
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

I was wrong in thinking that SeattleUte would never say "I was wrong."
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I once posted this on this message board. I've been wrong about other stuff, too.

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
      Man I'd love to have Cuomo as the Dem nominee. He's been competent and as far as I know hasn't tasked his son-in-law with managing a global pandemic.

Comment

OK, other things SU has been wrong about...

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
        I recently read Jill Lepore's outstanding single volume history of the United States. She proved me right when I always said here that when the human history book is written at the end of days, Mormonism would merit at most a footnote. Her book doesn't mention Mormonism even once, not even in a footnote.

From p. 201 of the book, which I read last night:

Lacking an established state religion, Americans followed new sects, from Shakers to Mormons, and rival Protestant denominations sprung up in town after town.
        [BTW, it’s a very interesting and well-written book, despite her unfortunate feud with my friend, Clayton Christensen, RIP.]

Ah, but wait, you’re asking ways in which I have been wrong, and they are admittedly legion. As I age, the more frequently I recognize my mistakes, current and in the past, and the less defensive I become. And you’re right, self-recognition and self-correction are salutary, even liberating. I’ll throw you a bone and confess how sorry I am about accepting (and repeating) in the late '60s and '70s the various explanations offered for the Church’s policy toward those of African descent (e.g., curse of Cain, less valiant in the preexistence, etc,). That’s not the worst of my mistakes but that’ll have to do for now.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          OK, other things SU has been wrong about...

From p. 201 of the book, which I read last night:

[BTW, it’s a very interesting and well-written book, despite her unfortunate feud with my friend, Clayton Christensen, RIP.]

Ah, but wait, you’re asking ways in which I have been wrong, and they are admittedly legion. As I age, the more frequently I recognize my mistakes, current and in the past, and the less defensive I become. And you’re right, self-recognition and self-correction are salutary, even liberating. I’ll throw you a bone and confess how sorry I am about accepting (and repeating) in the late '60s and '70s the various explanations offered for the Church’s policy toward those of African descent (e.g., curse of Cain, less valiant in the preexistence, etc,). That’s not the worst of my mistakes but that’ll have to do for now.
          GREAT POST.

You read a thousand-page book in a single night? How could I have missed that single-mention of Mormons--as slowly as I read that book?

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Great thread topic.

A few times in my life I figured I was smart enough to invest by picking individual stocks, including a few startups. Or that I could time the market.

Sadder, but wiser. Nothing but ETFs now.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Great thread topic.

A few times in my life I figured I was smart enough to invest by picking individual stocks, including a few startups. Or that I could time the market.

Sadder, but wiser. Nothing but ETFs now.
              Me too. I was wrong about this too.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

I have already mentioned this, but I used to support the death penalty. 100% against it now.

BTW the Utah County Attorney, David Leavitt, recently came out against the death penalty. He is getting blowback, but is standing firm. I really respect that.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

I have already mentioned this, but I used to support the death penalty. 100% against it now.

BTW the Utah County Attorney, David Leavitt, recently came out against the death penalty. He is getting blowback, but is standing firm. I really respect that.
                  Details here:

https://kutv.com/news/local/utah-cou...future%20cases.

Comment

I've been more wrong - on more topics - than everyone here. I'm holding out for the "most improved" trophy as the MVP was never in play.

My biggest wrong - being a poor father, husband and putter.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Based on that book about the EJI, right? I respect that, although I didn't see the book as any major reason to turn on the death penalty. Lot's of problems with policing and the justice system, sure.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

The death penalty is evil and has no place in a civilized society.
                        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post

GREAT POST.

You read a thousand-page book in a single night? How could I have missed that single-mention of Mormons--as slowly as I read that book?
                          I read the quoted line on page 201 last night, not the entire book, but I understand your primal need to come up with a zinger counterattack, rather than laugh off a minor whiff. Trump would be proud. I'm up to around page 350. BTW, I'm reading the book based on your strong (and deserved) recommendation.

I have already mentioned this, but I used to support the death penalty. 100% against it now...
                          Same here. I had vacillated on the subject for years, but Just Mercy ended my ambivalence.

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post

Based on that book about the EJI, right? I respect that, although I didn't see the book as any major reason to turn on the death penalty. Lot's of problems with policing and the justice system, sure.
                            Actually, I changed my mind quite a few years ago. That book certainly helped cement my opinion though.

Comment

Me too. I remember debating the death penalty in high school. I changed my mind shortly after working on Death Row.

Comment

Working...
                              X