Marathon Training Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
    I want to do another. I still have a stupid goal of qualifying for Boston. Now that I am old, that seems more possible, but still very difficult. I was going to try this year, but I my broken foot from August still hurts, so I am afraid to sign up for anything.
    Ha. My strategy for a while was "deteriorate slower than everyone else so I can qualify for Boston when I am 60". My last marathon was almost 10 years ago, and for the last few of those I have had neither the desire nor the diligence to do another. Lately though I have been wondering if I have one or two more left in me.

Comment

• The qualifying times for Boston are ridiculous right now. The original cut-off times are insane as it is. This year, due to demand and the backlog of interested runners from the last 2 years, you had to subtract 7:47 from your age group time. So for a 40-44 year old male, instead of a 3:10 qualifying time, you'd have to get 3:02 or so to get in.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
        The qualifying times for Boston are ridiculous right now. The original cut-off times are insane as it is. This year, due to demand and the backlog of interested runners from the last 2 years, you had to subtract 7:47 from your age group time. So for a 40-44 year old male, instead of a 3:10 qualifying time, you'd have to get 3:02 or so to get in.
        Luckily I am now 45 so I get an extra 10 minutes. Still doesn't feel like it would happen...

Comment

Luckily I am now 45 so I get an extra 10 minutes. Still doesn't feel like it would happen...
          3:12? You can totally do that.

My best shot is probably to try to hold on the best I can for another 8 years or so until I get the 10 minute bump from turning 55.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post

3:12? You can totally do that.

My best shot is probably to try to hold on the best I can for another 8 years or so until I get the 10 minute bump from turning 55.
            My fastest is a 3:25 so I would need a lot of help. There is a guy in my ward that is a will coach me for free (what he loves to do) and he went from never running 5 years ago to a 2:50 so I may hit him up on that.

Comment

• I've had Boston on my bucket list for a while - like others have strategized, I keep telling my wife that I need to get a lot older without getting any slower. Haven't run a marathon in a few years - but I'm feeling like in the next couple of years I'm going to scratch that itch again and see where I'm at as far as Boston is concerned. Spoiler - I won't be close to qualifying, I'm just curious how far out I am.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                I've had Boston on my bucket list for a while - like others have strategized, I keep telling my wife that I need to get a lot older without getting any slower. Haven't run a marathon in a few years - but I'm feeling like in the next couple of years I'm going to scratch that itch again and see where I'm at as far as Boston is concerned. Spoiler - I won't be close to qualifying, I'm just curious how far out I am.
                I don't think you understand how spoiler tags work!

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                  I've had Boston on my bucket list for a while - like others have strategized, I keep telling my wife that I need to get a lot older without getting any slower. Haven't run a marathon in a few years - but I'm feeling like in the next couple of years I'm going to scratch that itch again and see where I'm at as far as Boston is concerned. Spoiler - I won't be close to qualifying, I'm just curious how far out I am.
                  We have so much in common!
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

I don't think you understand how spoiler tags work!
                    True. But this didn't seem like the kind of thing that would ruin anyone's day to read.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post

We have so much in common!

Comment

I want to do another. I still have a stupid goal of qualifying for Boston. Now that I am old, that seems more possible, but still very difficult. I was going to try this year, but I my broken foot from August still hurts, so I am afraid to sign up for anything.
                        My wife convinced me to sign up for the Mt Charleston Revel marathon. We are 17 weeks out with the training starting last week. We'll see how this goes. Goal is still a Boston qualifying time, but I may need to wait one more year to get that next time bump.

Going to really try and build the cardio this time. I think I have 20 mile runs at least 4 times on the schedule. May even do one of those as 22-23 miles.

Did 9 last saturday at an easy pace (ended up at 8:16), so I was happy with my first long run.

Comment

My wife convinced me to sign up for the Mt Charleston Revel marathon. We are 17 weeks out with the training starting last week. We'll see how this goes. Goal is still a Boston qualifying time, but I may need to wait one more year to get that next time bump.

Going to really try and build the cardio this time. I think I have 20 mile runs at least 4 times on the schedule. May even do one of those as 22-23 miles.

Did 9 last saturday at an easy pace (ended up at 8:16), so I was happy with my first long run.
                          Nice, I think you'll like Charleston. I was super bummed when it got cancelled on me. Switching to the Heber City Utah one was a disaster for me due to the elevation and the big climb at the beginning. Charleston has a great profile.

This will also be a perfect warm up for your next event - Marathon Pour Tous in Paris next summer. Its on the olympic marathon course. Download the app and sync it with your Garmin Connect for automatic downloads. They give away a number of entries each week with their distance challenges. I have a snowballs chance of getting in, but its one of the few races that could bring me out of my marathon retirement.

Comment

This is insane to me. I'm 53 and felt like I trained pretty hard for the two 1/2 marathons I did last year. 8:20 pace for 10-13 miles feels like my heart is going to explode. I can't fathom how so many people my age can run BQ times.

Comment

If this is the one in LV, I've heard its a pretty fast one. Pretty much all downhill. I know a few people who have run it specifically because it was easier for them to qualify for Boston.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• If I don't slow down at all, I think I have a decent chance of qualifying when I hit 60.

People usually don't slow down as they approach 60, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X