Marathon Training Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
    yeah those are freaking expensive. 100-120 is the most I am willing to pay. Of course I wear a brooks ghost so can usually get them at the end of the season for 1/2 price. When I find them for under $60 I will buy at least 2-3 pair.
    Brooks Ghost is what I use too.
    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
      Brooks Ghost is what I use too.
      great neutral shoe, good cushioning, nice wide toe box and a narrow heel.

I have tried the Brooks Launch as well, for a little lighter weight shoe, but the Ghost better imo.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
        yeah those are freaking expensive. 100-120 is the most I am willing to pay. Of course I wear a brooks ghost so can usually get them at the end of the season for 1/2 price. When I find them for under $60 I will buy at least 2-3 pair.
        Yeah that is usually my range too. To be fair the guy gave me three choices including the ultra boost, and the other two were around 100. I really did like the feel of the ultra boost most.

I had a rest day before my long run tomorrow so or course I decided to go snowboarding for the first time in 7 years. My toes on my left foot were hurting quite a bit so I'm thinking something more is going on besides the shoes.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

• Did 15 on Saturday. Finished it in 2:35 with few issues. My toes acted up briefly at about mile 7 but the stretches I'm doing seem to be working a little. I also found that if it gets bad during a long run I can stop and stretch my toes hard for about 30 seconds and then I'm good to go for several miles. In the race I may just end up doing that every 5 miles as a precautionary measure.

Near the end of the run I actually had the thought "I think I can run a marathon" for the first time ever. So that was pleasant. 15 was another record distance for me. I'm about 8 weeks out and the only runs longer than 15 I have left are one each of 16, 18, and 20.

Last edited by Omaha 680; 03-25-2019, 01:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
            Did 15 on Saturday. Finished it in 2:35 with few issues. My toes acted up briefly at about mile 7 but the stretches I'm doing seem to be working a little. I also found that if it gets bad during a long run I can stop and stretch my toes hard for about 30 seconds and then I'm good to go for several miles. In the race I may just end up doing that every 5 miles as a precautionary measure.

Near the end of the run I actually had the thought "I think I can run a marathon" for the first time ever. So that was pleasant. 15 was another record distance for me. I'm about 8 weeks out and the only runs longer than 15 I have left are one each of 16, 18, and 20.

In about the same amount of time, I walked a little over a mile yesterday. So there's that.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• I threw down nine miles on Saturday in your honor, Omaha. Keep up the good work!
              "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• 16 mile run in NYC yesterday. Ran from Javitz down around the battery, across the Manhattan bridge and then back across the Williamsburg bridge and up the east river trail. I felt really really good until about mile 13 and then I hit a brick wall. Had to walk probably one mile total of the last three, the most substantial portion being the slope up the Brooklyn side of the Williamsburg bridge. My toes didnt hurt more than any other part of my legs...but my feet and knees were just on fire at the end. The good news is I'm hardly sore at all today so I'm going to just say it was all the uneven concrete I was running on and the lack of good sleep the 48 hours prior to the run.

Weird thought: I'm starting to think I grew a half shoe size during training. I have been a size 10 since about 13 years old but in addition to the weird toe pain I have had in training, I noticed other non-running shoes suddenly feeling tight in the toes. Is feet suddenly growing in your 40s a thing? Regardless I'm going back to the store on Wednesday to upsize to a 10.5 and see if that solves my issues.

Comment

• When I first bought my running shoes they suggested a short that was a 1/2 size bigger than I normally wear. My running shoes are the only size 11s I own. Same thing happens for those hiking the John Muir trail or the PCT.

Comment

• Foot swelling is a real thing. Do you think it's more than that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                      Foot swelling is a real thing. Do you think it's more than that?
                      I have no idea. I have never experienced anything like this. But this is also much more than I have ever run in my life.

Comment

• I just traded in for ultraboost 10.5s (I was wearing 10s). I have 5 miles tomorrow and 12 on saturday. If I have the same toe issue, I will go back and trade in for the Hoka Clifton 5 which I just tried on and it felt great.

Comment

• Last Saturday I had an terrible long run. Walked large portions of it, couldnt finish, my toe was killing me. Then last week I had a super stressful week of work travel, stomach bug, and little sleep such that I only ran one weekday. So my expectations were not high for my run on Saturday. It went surprisingly well. I went the full 18 miles, stopping only a couple times for water. I took the ferry to NJ and ran up and over the GW bridge and then down the west side of Manhattan. I only walked on the very steepest part of the NJ approach to the bridge and walking fast up that hill was at least as strenuous as running the same distance on flat ground.

In two weeks we have a 20 miler and then we taper. I feel like I am about there fitness-wise, which is crazy considering where I started. My knees would like me to lose 10 more pounds which I'm sure would happen if I could muster a modicum of self control in my diet.

Also I traded in my shoes for some Saucony Triumph Iso 5s. They felt like fluffy clouds on my feet and I appear to have no more toe issues. I think the ultra boost were too pointy for my wide feet and were squeezing my toes together when my feet swelled.

Last edited by Omaha 680; 04-16-2019, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• Sweet! I think you got this.

Comment

• I suffered a pretty significant setback. Last Saturday was supposed to be my 20 miler. My left knee was pretty tight from the beginning but this is not unusual and I expected it to loosen up. In mile 7 I got a sharp pain in it that made me stop immediately. After walking for a bit I tried to start again but the sharp pain persisted so I aborted the run. I gave myself a few days off with ice, stretching and ibuprofen then tried to get back into it the last couple days. Tried to do 9 last night but right in mile 7 I had the same issues and had to walk most of the rest.

I'm pretty frustrated. Fitness wise I feel ready; when I am running my legs and lungs feel like I could do the full marathon tomorrow. But I am really worried my knee wont let me. We are only two weeks out now. On the bright side, my wife had a similar issue with her ankle about a month ago and has come out the other side ready to run the race. The timing of my issue is much worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                                I suffered a pretty significant setback. Last Saturday was supposed to be my 20 miler. My left knee was pretty tight from the beginning but this is not unusual and I expected it to loosen up. In mile 7 I got a sharp pain in it that made me stop immediately. After walking for a bit I tried to start again but the sharp pain persisted so I aborted the run. I gave myself a few days off with ice, stretching and ibuprofen then tried to get back into it the last couple days. Tried to do 9 last night but right in mile 7 I had the same issues and had to walk most of the rest.

I'm pretty frustrated. Fitness wise I feel ready; when I am running my legs and lungs feel like I could do the full marathon tomorrow. But I am really worried my knee wont let me. We are only two weeks out now. On the bright side, my wife had a similar issue with her ankle about a month ago and has come out the other side ready to run the race. The timing of my issue is much worse.
                                Dang. My wife has run a few with knee braces on, maybe you can try something to give you some stability.

Comment

Working...
                                X