Marathon Training Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
    Not bad - but are you going too fast? If I remember correctly, you're trying to break four hours, no? If you're trying to break four hours, you might want to consider doing most of your long runs at 9:45 or slower. I know that's going to feel like a slog.
    I've thought about that and wonder if I should slow it down. My marathon stretch goal is sub 4 hour which is around 9:08/mile so I've been trying to do my long runs a bit slower than that. I've found my long runs are going very well though and, like today, I feel like I've got a bit left in the tank. I probably could have done another 5 miles at the 9:09 pace. My heart rate never got above 160 which is not too unusual given the slow pace but unusual for most of my runs.

What's the benefit of slowing down another 0:30/mile? Does it just give you more time on your feet or are there other benefits? I'd just hate to run 9:45 and not even feel tired at the end of the run.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      I've thought about that and wonder if I should slow it down. My marathon stretch goal is sub 4 hour which is around 9:08/mile so I've been trying to do my long runs a bit slower than that. I've found my long runs are going very well though and, like today, I feel like I've got a bit left in the tank. I probably could have done another 5 miles at the 9:09 pace. My heart rate never got above 160 which is not too unusual given the slow pace but unusual for most of my runs.

What's the benefit of slowing down another 0:30/mile? Does it just give you more time on your feet or are there other benefits? I'd just hate to run 9:45 and not even feel tired at the end of the run.
      Rest.

Long runs are for slow burns, short runs are for tempo and heart rate.
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

I've been meaning to ask about heartrate. I don't have a heart rate monitor, but when I run on the dreadmill in the gym I'll check every mile or so. I typically run 5k for each of my workouts and have for sometime. My heartrate almost always goes over 170 and stays there. Yesterday, it peaked at 178 while running an 11:19 pace, after which I slowed it down to 11:46. Is this too much for a 39 year old?
        Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
        - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
        - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

• Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
          I've been meaning to ask about heartrate. I don't have a heart rate monitor, but when I run on the dreadmill in the gym I'll check every mile or so. I typically run 5k for each of my workouts and have for sometime. My heartrate almost always goes over 170 and stays there. Yesterday, it peaked at 178 while running an 11:19 pace, after which I slowed it down to 11:46. Is this too much for a 39 year old?
          Not necessarily. Resting rate/max rate/training zones can vary significantly by individual. Those who train by heart rate usually test for their max HR, lactate threshold HR, etc. and gauge their training efforts accordingly.
          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

You'll wear yourself out. You don't have a 20 under your belt yet, and the fatigue that comes in the race is no joke. Save the effort for race day. You want to feel like you could pound out another five miles, no problem, at mile 15 of the race, right?
            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Not bad - but are you going too fast? If I remember correctly, you're trying to break four hours, no? If you're trying to break four hours, you might want to consider doing most of your long runs at 9:45 or slower. I know that's going to feel like a slog.
              Using a 1:55 HM as current fitness and a 4:00 M as goal fitness, McMillan puts the easy run pace range from 9:10 to 10:08 and the long run pace range from 9:12 to 10:30. If Moliere is feeling good on a particular day, the 9:10 min/mile pace may be OK. I would be curious to know what total miles per week are right now, how those miles are being spent, etc. If it's all easy run pace, then I think being on the fast end of the range can be beneficial as long as it isn't having a negative impact on training.

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
              Originally posted by Topper View Post
              Rest.

Long runs are for slow burns, short runs are for tempo and heart rate.
              Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
              You'll wear yourself out. You don't have a 20 under your belt yet, and the fatigue that comes in the race is no joke. Save the effort for race day. You want to feel like you could pound out another five miles, no problem, at mile 15 of the race, right?
              I'll add that running pounds the body, and lower intensity can leave a person more able to train more while avoiding injury/burnout/fatigue/etc. More training (assuming a respectable training plan) equals greater fitness gains.
              "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• I think I have a slight calf strain. I ran 12 miles on Friday and at mile 10.2 I had a sharp pain in the outside edge of my left calf. My legs were already tired and sore by that point but the pain was very noticeable. I walked a bit and then ran slowly home. I kept compression on it and iced it, but there was no swelling or bruising. I really think it is very minor as I could walk on it without pain all day. It's only when I stretch out the calf that I can feel it, but it's not really pain now and just some slight discomfort.

I was hoping it was just a sore muscle, but it's now Saturday night and I can still feel where it hurt.....although like I mentioned it's relatively pain free even when stretching. I'm considering taking the entire week off to let it heal, but this is my 2nd biggest week of the training program so it'll take some additional personal will to sit out. I figure it would be better to miss a week and rest it that to push it too much and make it worse. I'm so close to being ready for the marathon that I don't want to chance it and I'd rather show up and run a slower time on a slight injury than to not show up at all.

Anyway, I'm bummed again that I'm injured but at least it could be manageable enough that I can still run the race.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Had a phenomenal race today. Faded a bit on the last three but still set a PR. 3:26 and change. My legs have never been this sore before. Full write - up later.

Comment

Had a phenomenal race today. Faded a bit on the last three but still set a PR. 3:26 and change. My legs have never been this sore before. Full write - up later.
                    Congratulations. Are you going to put it on Strava?

Comment

• Yup. Should be up now. My pacing was dead on until mile 23 or so - lost a few seconds on 20-22, but only a very few. 23 to the end was a tough battle. It's only sheer experience that had me hanging on - sub-par training (due to injury) cost me, but only a couple of minutes.

I wore pink today in honor of a close friend struggling with breast cancer. Those of you on facebook have seen the outfit - pink top (I swear I got it from the men's section!) and pink calf sleeves (okay, these were from the women's). Will totally do that again. The ladies LOVED it, made it easy for my wife to see me, and I got singled out for crowd support like mad.

Comment

Yup. Should be up now. My pacing was dead on until mile 23 or so - lost a few seconds on 20-22, but only a very few. 23 to the end was a tough battle. It's only sheer experience that had me hanging on - sub-par training (due to injury) cost me, but only a couple of minutes.

I wore pink today in honor of a close friend struggling with breast cancer. Those of you on facebook have seen the outfit - pink top (I swear I got it from the men's section!) and pink calf sleeves (okay, these were from the women's). Will totally do that again. The ladies LOVED it, made it easy for my wife to see me, and I got singled out for crowd support like mad.
                        Well done. I saw your time and was impressed.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• The PF Changs Marathon had my town locked down all morning so, not wanting to walk, I skipped Church and made it a Netflix/Naptime sunday. They started taking the barricades and cones down a half hour ago so I went and got a Gyro. Full write-up later.
                          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                            The PF Changs Marathon had my town locked down all morning so, not wanting to walk, I skipped Church and made it a Netflix/Naptime sunday. They started taking the barricades and cones down a half hour ago so I went and got a Gyro. Full write-up later.
                            Nice work -- pretty much my typical marathon experience summed up right there.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                              Nice work -- pretty much my typical marathon experience summed up right there.
                              Thanks to the words of my ortho, that will be my marathon experience in the future as well. I am saddened by the lack of marathons in my future.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                                Thanks to the words of my ortho, that will be my marathon experience in the future as well. I am saddened by the lack of marathons in my future.
                                Too bad. Yeah running marathons might not be that great for the heart either:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/718991

Comment

Working...
                                X