Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
    Great pics PBW. Love that lake pic.
    Oh yeah. More impressive on my computer than on my phone this morning. I really like the trail through the fern and trees.

Comment

• I'm taking the YM on a 3 day trip into the Uintas next month. Still deciding between Red Castle and King's Peak. Red Castle has better fishing, but King's Peak is a pretty cool bucket list item for kids who might not get there again on their own. It will be interesting to see which dads decide they want to come with us.

I'm really looking forward to it - for some reason I haven't been backpacking in 3-4 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
        I'm taking the YM on a 3 day trip into the Uintas next month. Still deciding between Red Castle and King's Peak. Red Castle has better fishing, but King's Peak is a pretty cool bucket list item for kids who might not get there again on their own. It will be interesting to see which dads decide they want to come with us.

I'm really looking forward to it - for some reason I haven't been backpacking in 3-4 years.
        We did King's Peak when I was a Varsity Coach years ago. That was a fun trip.

Comment

• Just finished up a 3 day trip into the Marble Mountains Wilderness area. Its a fairly well kept secret out here in California, with the Sierra getting most of the attention and the Trinity Alps getting most of the foot traffic up north. The Marbles are in the same range as the Trinities, just about 30 or 40 miles north. Its a bit of a haul to get here, as even from Redding, the largest city in the region, its a minimum 2.5 hour drive to get to the main trailhead.

My wife and I went with another couple for our third annual couples trip. We camped at the Sky High Lakes. I've been in the general area before, but haven't spent any time at the lakes. Past trips have been spelunking with the Young Men in the next valley over, Black Marble Valley.

This place that we went was absolutely gorgeous. There were some pretty rugged peaks surrounding the valley, but the real attraction here was the wildflowers. We must have hit it at just the right time, as all of the meadows were full of countless varieties of flowers. We also day-hiked up to Shadow Lake, which is tucked away on a steep ridge about 800 feet above our campsite by the lake. While hiking to Shadow lake, we spent about a mile on the PCT, during which time we met about 10 thru hikers. You could smell them coming a mile away.

Excellent weekend with some beautiful scenery and good friends.
          Sky high lakes from above.jpg

Sky High Meadow approach.jpg
          Shadow Lake Lupine Meadow.jpg
          Sky high wildflowers.jpg

Shadow Lake.jpg

Comment

• Nice. That's some soul soothing country.

Comment

• Going in this weekend to do some desert backpacking and packrafting down the escalante.

eventual goal is to see the Cathedral in the Desert.

can't wait.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                Going in this weekend to do some desert backpacking and packrafting down the escalante.

can't wait.
                Jealous

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                  Going in this weekend to do some desert backpacking and packrafting down the escalante.

can't wait.
                  Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

Jealous
                  Not I. I've seen enough churches lately.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• We recently got selected through a lottery for a permit to backpack in the Enchantments wilderness area in Washington. Its a pretty popular area in the PNW, which they heavily restrict via their permitting process to keep the crowds down. To increase our chances, we put in for mid week entry and got selected for the middle of August.

I had never heard of the place until recently. Here is a nice blog entry of the hike with some good pictures and videos.

Hoping to maybe hit another smaller 3 day trip into the Trinities, either in late June or mid July. Can't wait to get out and get away for a few days.

Comment

We recently got selected through a lottery for a permit to backpack in the Enchantments wilderness area in Washington. Its a pretty popular area in the PNW, which they heavily restrict via their permitting process to keep the crowds down. To increase our chances, we put in for mid week entry and got selected for the middle of August.

I had never heard of the place until recently. Here is a nice blog entry of the hike with some good pictures and videos.

Hoping to maybe hit another smaller 3 day trip into the Trinities, either in late June or mid July. Can't wait to get out and get away for a few days.
                      Nice. Colchuk Lake was one of my brother's favorite hikes. Not sure if you'll hit that in the bigger Enchantments hike.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

Nice. Colchuk Lake was one of my brother's favorite hikes. Not sure if you'll hit that in the bigger Enchantments hike.
                        Our permit is for entry through the Snow Lakes trailhead. Plan is to camp the first night at Snow Lake, then venture into the Core zone on the second day, and then hike up and over Aasgard pass to Colchuk Lake the third day. Then head out the Colchuk trail and take a shuttle back to the car.

Comment

• That sounds great. How is the weather there in August?
                          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Our permit is for entry through the Snow Lakes trailhead. Plan is to camp the first night at Snow Lake, then venture into the Core zone on the second day, and then hike up and over Aasgard pass to Colchuk Lake the third day. Then head out the Colchuk trail and take a shuttle back to the car.
                            Sounds like it'll be epic. Hope the weather is great.
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                              That sounds great. How is the weather there in August?
                              Good question. Its not super high elevation. Trailhead is only about 2,000 feet up, I believe, and most of the Enchantments are in the 5,000-6,000 foot elevation. Passes that we will have to cross get up there a bit at close to 8,000-9,000 feet or so.

Leavenworth, WA is the town nearest the range. It sits at 1,500 feet up or so, and averages 88 for a high in August, with a low of 51. Assuming the fire situation is good this summer, I'm hoping for some primo conditions in mid August.

Comment

• This place sounds like one of those areas where you might be asked to pack out your own poop. True?

Comment

Working...
                                X