Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice!

Comment

• That looks awesome, BP. Glad you didn't die.

Comment

• Nice. That looks like a lot of fun.
        "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
          Nice. That looks like a lot of fun.
          disagree

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post

disagree
            +1. When hiking/backpacking, I have a rule of "No Ropes". However, backpacking in Southern Utah is on the bucket list so I've been doing some research on places to go that don't require much risk and have adequate water. I'll probably backpack solo so need to have a good idea of what I will be facing so I don't end up in an Aron Ralston situation. In retirement, my plan is to backpack lower elevations like Southern Utah in Spring and Fall and hike up to the higher elevations like the San Juans in the Summer.

I do envy those with the skills to rappel or otherwise access remote and scenic locations.
            “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
            "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post

+1. When hiking/backpacking, I have a rule of "No Ropes". However, backpacking in Southern Utah is on the bucket list so I've been doing some research on places to go that don't require much risk and have adequate water. I'll probably backpack solo so need to have a good idea of what I will be facing so I don't end up in an Aron Ralston situation. In retirement, my plan is to backpack lower elevations like Southern Utah in Spring and Fall and hike up to the higher elevations like the San Juans in the Summer.

I do envy those with the skills to rappel or otherwise access remote and scenic locations.
              That’s a good rule. If I wasn’t with someone that I completely trust, no way I do that stuff. Even so, setting anchors around trees before rappelling 130 ft is still really scary. I wish I would have taken pictures of all the anchors. They took a long time to set up due to the redundancy and thinking everything through about ten times.

also you have to rig it so you can pull the rope down with you at the end otherwise you are not stuck on a cliff. Most times we could pull the anchors down after too for the whole leave no trace thing.

Comment

• i'd share my #1 rule about hiking/backpacking, but i'm fairly certain bp is already very familiar with it and it wouldn't be helpful to him at all.
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                X