The Golf Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post

What's the connection to Waverly? How did you get on? I played there twice in Pro Ams, and my son caddied there two summers. It's also where I walked the course with my son and saw Tiger win his 3rd Us Am Junior - with Thurston Howell III taking 2nd.
    I know a member of Waverly. He hosted DH, my son and me the day before the UO game. In retrospect I wish I had stayed in PDX and played there on Saturday too, instead of the pilgrimage to Autzen. It’s a beautiful course with some tough greens.

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post

I know a member of Waverly. He hosted DH, my son and me the day before the UO game. In retrospect I wish I had stayed in PDX and played there on Saturday too, instead of the pilgrimage to Autzen. It’s a beautiful course with some tough greens.
      I go way back with Waverly - in 1976 my high school girl friend's family invited me to attend a poolside barbecue dinner and fireworks as part of the Bicentennial Celebration. I had just shot my first even par - and my girlfriend's mother dragged me around like a show pony. They set up chairs on the 18th fairway as a barge shot off fireworks in the Willamette River.

Even weirder - my best friend in high school - his mother - lived on the 15th hole at Waverly back in the 30's and she won the Oregon Women's Championship - in 1939 - and her dad was a big lawyer in town - any way - at their house they hosted professional golfers as they came to town - including Bobby Jones who autographed her bedroom wall.

So - Mrs - D got me going in golf and gave me and her son lessons at the old Progress Driving range on Saturday mornings back around 1973 and 74. I played with some old Spaulding piece of crap - while my buddy played with some custom-made Kenneth Smiths which cost around $1,000 in in 1960's money. When I hit those - that's when I learned about the love of Golf.

One more thing - Bobby Jones got the idea of Green Jackets from Waverly - as their Champ started wearing one around 1910.
      Last edited by clackamascoug; 10-14-2022, 11:05 AM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
      -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post

IOne more thing - Bobby Jones got the idea of Green Jackets from Waverly - as their Champ started wearing one around 1910.
        That’s a really cool story.

Comment

• I took the day off yesterday and it was glorious. 80 degrees on November 1st. My best shot of the day Par 3 on 17.

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

• Awesome. Fall golf is the best.

I played Bear's Best last week. Lost $50, but had a nice 4h from 210 to about 5 feet and made the birdie. Best shot of the round for sure.
            7ED3CBAE-F5A5-426F-96BB-5447F44B794E.jpeg
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Screen shot from a video of Donut Jr. at Paiute last weekend. No editing or filtering. Man I love that course.

A9FB2472-E7E4-4227-A112-E522C9DB0977.jpeg
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                Awesome. Fall golf is the best.

I played Bear's Best last week. Lost $50, but had a nice 4h from 210 to about 5 feet and made the birdie. Best shot of the round for sure.
                7ED3CBAE-F5A5-426F-96BB-5447F44B794E.jpeg
                it is the best... how did you lose $50?
                "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                  Screen shot from a video of Donut Jr. at Paiute last weekend. No editing or filtering. Man I love that course.

A9FB2472-E7E4-4227-A112-E522C9DB0977.jpeg
                  Gorgeous picture. Paiute (without the wind) is by far the most scenic course in Vegas. Well, I haven't played Wynn or Shadow, but have been on most everywhere else at one time or another. Just wish it wasn't so far away from the side of the valley I usually stay on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post

it is the best... how did you lose $50?
                    We played a 4ball match play game, $50 per player. My team lost.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post

We played a 4ball match play game, $50 per player. My team lost.
                      You count all 4 balls on each hole? Keeps everyone involved, but a lot of pressure on whoever is the weakest link on the team.

I play with a couple different groups. At the local muni they play a 2 or 3 ball game depending on the day with anywhere from 4-7 teams. The other group at my club are all low handicaps (I'm always a 4th round pick). First 6 holes - 2 balls Second 6- 3 balls count Last 6- need one- 1ball, one- 4ball, two- 2 balls and two 3 balls - can come in any order. Its a fun game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post

You count all 4 balls on each hole? Keeps everyone involved, but a lot of pressure on whoever is the weakest link on the team.

I play with a couple different groups. At the local muni they play a 2 or 3 ball game depending on the day with anywhere from 4-7 teams. The other group at my club are all low handicaps (I'm always a 4th round pick). First 6 holes - 2 balls Second 6- 3 balls count Last 6- need one- 1ball, one- 4ball, two- 2 balls and two 3 balls - can come in any order. Its a fun game.
                        I'm not sure my feeble mind can keep track of that scoring.

Yes, we play 4ball match play, but its only with 4 players. It allows everyone to keep their own score. We give pops for handicaps, but everyone is within 2-3 strokes of each other anyway, so its not a big deal. Sometimes we don't do pops. The matches almost always come down to hole 17.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• New Golf Rules - 2023 - Huge Changes - Objective to Speed up the pace of play.
                          • 18 clubs allowed
                          • On OB's don't have to go back to the tee - anywhere on the line to where it went out.
                          • club heads bigger. Drivers used to be .830 - now .930 (480 cc now 600 cc)
                          • Driver length from 48" to 50"
                          • 3 putt max allowed - pick up after 3 putts.
                          • fluff your lie on the fairway OK - (wait what?)
                          • Urination must be under a tree and at least 50 feet from a tee box or green. (pace of play?)
                          • Training guides allowed - "during play."
                          • Clubs damaged during play can be replaced.
                          • No Groove restrictions
                          Don't believe me - blame this guy

https://youtu.be/gBTETGwUKds

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• I played the Chapel Ridge Golf Club. Pace of play was so slow. Still can you really complain about playing golf on a Tuesday afternoon in late November?

Comment

Working...
                            X