The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I'm going to run 10 miles for the first time this Saturday. I'm pretty stoked, even if it is going to take me forever to do it.
    Yeah, big congrats on the upcoming run. On my first, my Shuffle wasn't working as expected so it was much longer than anticipated, but it showed me I could survive.
    I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

• /******************************
      *** UNSOLICITED PRODUCT REVIEW ***
      ******************************/

Zulu Socks

I'm not sure if these are Balega Zulu socks or some other Zulu socks because I don't remember Balega being on the packaging, but they probably are the same. The packaging hyped up that these were made in Africa by hand, yada yada yada.

Cost: $20 / 3-pack (Local running store frequently has them for half that.)

Review: They had a good feel to them right out of the package. Comfortable, soft, well fitting. But after just the first or second wash, I noticed that they wouldn't stay up. They're low-cut socks, but I've had plenty of those and they haven't been this difficult to stay up. I walk a couple of blocks before running and I can't even get a block before they've fallen past my heel. All 3 pair are like that.

Verdict: If you only get 1-2 wears out of each pair of socks, buy some of these. If you're looking to get your money's worth and at least a season or two from socks, stay away from these.
      I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

• This is one of my mission companions:

http://www.kcra.com/news/Father-runs...money/25110988
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Just ran into Deena Kastor. Pretty cool.
          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
            Just ran into Deena Kastor. Pretty cool.
            You in my neck of the woods? I an heading up to Mammoth this morning where she lives.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
              You in my neck of the woods? I an heading up to Mammoth this morning where she lives.
              She's closer to my neck of the woods.
              "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• After 6 weeks of continually rolling/stretching/resting my IT band finally seems to be loosening up. I use to wake up and feel pain when I'd extend my knee. I also feel a bit of pain everytime I used stairs. Stretching and rolling would help a bit, but I never felt like I could do anything very active other than swimming or some limited biking. Well I started to really stretch the thing out, even doing a stretch my chiropractor showed me that would hurt me around the patella when I'd do it. I should have been doing this stretch since day 1 but I didn't because it hurt. Well, this stretch coupled with the Power Yoga really made a difference. My IT band has been feeling really good...in fact I don't feel the constant tightness I was having before. It somewhat feels sore, but it's a soreness that is like a muscle that's been spasming and is now finally relaxing. I'm hoping I'm through the worst of it. I haven't ran on it for 4 weeks and probably won't for another 1-2 weeks. I'm aftraid that if I try it out and it hurts I'll just get depressed about the whole thing again.

The biggest lesson learned is that I need to stretch, especially after my long runs and even just once or twice a day when I'm not running. I also learned that I need to do core body work. The Pilates will hopefully take care of that along with some minor strength training. I've got an appointment with a physical therapist so they can give me a training regimen to strengthen what needs work. My sports medicine doctor though confirmed the knee is fine except for the tight IT Band, so that was good news.

I've got a triathlon coming up in early May, but it's only a sprint with a 5k run, which I could do even when it hurt. The best thing is that I've been focusing on swimming so hopefully I don't have a repeat of what happened in the open water swim at my first tri.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                  I've got a triathlon coming up in early May, but it's only a sprint with a 5k run, which I could do even when it hurt. The best thing is that I've been focusing on swimming so hopefully I don't have a repeat of what happened in the open water swim at my first tri.
                  I know the type A personality tends to drive through injury, but from a guy older than you, running through injury really isn't a good idea. I did that plenty of times and now after knee surgery, it has been awful getting back. Don't run injured, you will regret it when you age.
                  "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post

I know the type A personality tends to drive through injury, but from a guy older than you, running through injury really isn't a good idea. I did that plenty of times and now after knee surgery, it has been awful getting back. Don't run injured, you will regret it when you age.
                    My doc actually asked me to run on it. I did and it hurt so I shut it down. He keeps telling me that when it seems good (like it does now) I need to get back out on it.

I definitely have plans to reduce me running mileage and cross train more.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Does anyone else upper back aches when running? After about five miles, my back really starts to tighten up (not spasms or anything, just tight achiness). Any tips on prevention and/or remedies?
                      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                        Does anyone else upper back aches when running? After about five miles, my back really starts to tighten up (not spasms or anything, just tight achiness). Any tips on prevention and/or remedies?
                        My back gets a bit tired but no real issues with it. Chances are you aren't doing enough core work to balance out the running. This was part of my problem with my latest injury (IT Band) as apparently my hips/quads/glutes weren't getting the work they needed. I've added in a day or two of Pilates a week along with some minor weight lifting to target my hips/glutes and I do a core class twice a week to work on the back/abs.

Comment

• Today at lunch I went on a 7-mile run. It was a little hotter than usual, but there was a stiff breeze, so it wasn't unpleasant. I was crusing through mile 5 and then I hit a wall. I had only eaten some oatmeal this morning, and I may have been a little dehydrated, but I had to walk-run to get to seven miles. Not exactly a confidence booster, but I got across the finish line. Good lesson learned, though.

Comment

• Do you work from home?
                            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                              Do you work from home?
                              No, but we have a shower on my floor at work. My gym bag runneth o'er when I run during lunch, but it's pretty convenient.
                              Last edited by Green Monstah; 05-06-2014, 01:34 PM.

Comment

• http://www.runnersworld.com/general-...ws-_-10YearOld

10 year old runs a 1:37 half marathon

When Jeff slowed down for an aid station around 9.5 miles into the race, Noah left him behind and cruised to the finish a couple of minutes ahead of his dad. Noah’s mother, Monica Bliss, also ran the race, and Noah waited for both parents at the finish line, greeting each one with a bottle of water.

Comment

Working...
                                X