The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
    How many miles do you get on a pair of shoes?

I probably average about 500, but one recent pair was only about 300
    I've been running 100-120 miles a month and feel like I usually get about four months. I've been using a pair of Wave Rider's since end of April/early May and I feel like they'll be close to done by the end of this month.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Most of my milage is walking (25 - 30 of 40-45 miles per week), maybe that is why I am getting 500 miles on a pair of shoes.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• I've got about 850 miles on my current pair of shoes. Some vibram five fingers seeyas I bought in October 2012.

Comment

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
          Most of my milage is walking (25 - 30 of 40-45 miles per week), maybe that is why I am getting 500 miles on a pair of shoes.
          Damn dude how long does it take you to walk that many miles?

Comment

• During the week I'll go 6 - 6.5 miles. It takes about 1:20 to 1:22 to walk 6 miles. I have gone as fast as 1:16, but that was down hill with a following wind When I jog, I normally jog 4 times a week and jog about half - 3 miles or so, so take about 10 minutes off (1:10 - 1:12). On weekends I'll do a couple 8 or 9 mile walks ( I normally don't jog during these)
            Last edited by happyone; 08-11-2013, 10:08 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• With temps hovering around 75 (incredibly unusual in August) I headed out for a night run to push myself a bit. Things were great until I hit mile 2 when I tried to get a drink. Water went down the wrong pipe and I cough a couple times. A minute or two later I developed a sideache, which got worse until I had to finally stop at mile 2.5 and take a minute break while I tried to stretch it out and get the pain down. I started back up again at a slower pace until the pain subsided and then picked the pace back up a bit at the end. It seems my sides are much more prone to aching when I run than anything else, and if I interrupt my breathing just enough I get a sideache.

In all the 5 mile run was done at a pace of around 8:51 but my moving pace was 8:39, which would have been even better if I didn't run from mile 2.5 to 4 with stabbing pain in my side. I'm really looking forward to the cooler temps and race season in Houston.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Trying to get back in speed shape before marathon training starts (next month - less than four weeks). Tossed out a 45:30 ish 10k on a whim last night. Pacing was pretty uneven by design, but it felt like I was holding back a bit the whole time. Pretty sure I could still run my PR on a good day.
                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• I did a 10k training run on the weekend and ended up running it at the exact same pace I run my typical 5k training runs. So I guess I've hit a plateau pace and will need to do either just live with it and let it increase gradually or start on a concerted effort to get faster. To that end I did my first speed workout yesterday, I intended to to do 4 800s with a 400 walking between each one. I made it through 3, but was dying by the end of the 3rd. I definitely started too fast at about an 8:30 pace. My normal training pace is 11:30-12:30, so way too fast. I ended the last 800 still under 11:00 though. On tap today is just an easy 5k.

My next half is just over 8 weeks away, Oct 19th. I'm much farther along this time than last time. I'm at 12 miles this week and adding one mile per week. I'm rolling my own training program and I'm doing 4 days
                  Day 1: 2 miles speed
                  Day 2: 5k
                  Day 3: 2 miles easy (5k next week)
                  Day 4: whatever needed to hit weekly mileage goal (so 5 miles this week)

It's working well so far.
                  Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                  - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                  - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

• Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
                    Trying to get back in speed shape before marathon training starts (next month - less than four weeks). Tossed out a 45:30 ish 10k on a whim last night. Pacing was pretty uneven by design, but it felt like I was holding back a bit the whole time. Pretty sure I could still run my PR on a good day.
                    I saw that run. Looked good! What is your 10K PR? (or maybe you shouldn't tell me so I don't realize how slow I am)
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Did I read that Moliere is doing a triathalon? Wasn't it just like a month ago that he could barely run?

Comment

• Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
                        I did a 10k training run on the weekend and ended up running it at the exact same pace I run my typical 5k training runs. So I guess I've hit a plateau pace and will need to do either just live with it and let it increase gradually or start on a concerted effort to get faster. To that end I did my first speed workout yesterday, I intended to to do 4 800s with a 400 walking between each one. I made it through 3, but was dying by the end of the 3rd. I definitely started too fast at about an 8:30 pace. My normal training pace is 11:30-12:30, so way too fast. I ended the last 800 still under 11:00 though. On tap today is just an easy 5k.

My next half is just over 8 weeks away, Oct 19th. I'm much farther along this time than last time. I'm at 12 miles this week and adding one mile per week. I'm rolling my own training program and I'm doing 4 days
                        Day 1: 2 miles speed
                        Day 2: 5k
                        Day 3: 2 miles easy (5k next week)
                        Day 4: whatever needed to hit weekly mileage goal (so 5 miles this week)

It's working well so far.
                        Keep up the good work. Being able to sustain your training pace over longer distances is a sign of increased aerobic fitness and is a good thing. If your goal race distance is a half marathon, though, it makes me wonder why you are running 800 repeats and a weekly total of 12 miles. What is your mileage build-up over the next eight weeks?
                        "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          I saw that run. Looked good! What is your 10K PR? (or maybe you shouldn't tell me so I don't realize how slow I am)
                          43 something. I'd have to look it up, but it is effectively 7:00 miles. I think I could actually do it faster but that race was poorly paced - first mile was in 6:15 or so.
                          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                            Keep up the good work. Being able to sustain your training pace over longer distances is a sign of increased aerobic fitness and is a good thing. If your goal race distance is a half marathon, though, it makes me wonder why you are running 800 repeats and a weekly total of 12 miles. What is your mileage build-up over the next eight weeks?
                            Why 800 repeats? I wanted to try a speed workout and remembered reading about 800 repeats and figured I'd give it a shot. Is there something different that may be better for a half? I'm making this up as I go along so it's pretty fluid.

I should be up to about 20 miles/week before my half. I was only at 12/week before my first half and had never run 13.1 miles before the race. Not to mention that I had to shift a bunch of runs around the last two weeks in order to fit in 8 and 10 mile runs without going over that 10% limit that has caused me knee problems before.
                            Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                            - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                            - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                              Did I read that Moliere is doing a triathalon? Wasn't it just like a month ago that he could barely run?
                              Well, it was back in Jan/Feb/Mar that I was recovering from what was probably achilles tendonitis. I could barely walk for two weeks and it hurt for another month. I basically started from scratch in April, running 6 miles per week and I'm back to decent mileage for me (15-18 per week). The worst is learning to swim. It's so unnatural for me but I've done twice the distance of the tri swim so I should be good.

This tri will be a good experiment and if I enjoy it and it goes well it's very likely I"ll be signing up for a USAT membership and racing in more of them....until I get injured again...

Comment

• So you're running 15-18 a week and going to bust out a marathon plus bike and swim? Or do I not know what a triathalon is? That's probably the case. lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X