No announcement yet.

The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some of you guys have run that haven't you?

That's pretty pricey, but I guess you can make a family vacation out of it.
    Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
      Some of you guys have run that haven't you?

That's pretty pricey, but I guess you can make a family vacation out of it.
      As races go, it's pricey, but I thought it was worth it (the wife and I, with one daughter, ran it in 2011 and had a blast). The course is pancake flat except for a couple of overpasses and there were plenty of bands, dance groups, cheerleaders, etc. along the way to entertain and motivate. Strong recommend from me.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
        As races go, it's pricey, but I thought it was worth it (the wife and I, with one daughter, ran it in 2011 and had a blast). The course is pancake flat except for a couple of overpasses and there were plenty of bands, dance groups, cheerleaders, etc. along the way to entertain and motivate. Strong recommend from me.
        I would like to do it someday. My kids are still little, so it will probably be in the future.
        Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

• The ice storm last week finally stopped my string of consecutive days.

I did attempt to walk, but by the time I got to end of our street (.15 miles according to RunningMap.com) I had slipped 3 times, so I turned around and went home. Even the dog couldn't keep his footing.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
            The ice storm last week finally stopped my string of consecutive days.

I did attempt to walk, but by the time I got to end of our street (.15 miles according to RunningMap.com) I had slipped 3 times, so I turned around and went home. Even the dog couldn't keep his footing.
            Hey - you walked to the end of the street. You might have had your string of consecutive days of walking a certain distance stopped, but technically you DID walk.

Comment

• Well, I logged 23.3 miles in January at an average pace of 12:00/mile. Not bad for coming back from taking time off to prevent an injury. I start training for my half in June at the beginning of March and so I need to the miles up, I'm only at 6 miles/week now which means that I'll be about a mile and a half short of the weekly mileage of the higdon novice 1 half marathon training program if I stick to a 10% weekly increase. The important part though, is that I'm not experiencing any knee pain.
              Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
              - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
              - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

• How does the treadmill translate into actual road running for everyone? With the extreme cold and all the snow on the side of the roads, I've been doing all my running inside. In the past I've stuggled to run as fast on a treadmill as I could out on the road for some reason.

I've got an intense mililtary course coming up that I'll have to be in shape for, so I've been doing a lot of running. Each week I turn up the speed just a little faster. Hopefully when I hit the roads it'll translate for me. The good thing is, the course is at Fort Rucker, Alabama, so I'll have more oxegen down there to breath.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                  How does the treadmill translate into actual road running for everyone? With the extreme cold and all the snow on the side of the roads, I've been doing all my running inside. In the past I've stuggled to run as fast on a treadmill as I could out on the road for some reason.

I've got an intense mililtary course coming up that I'll have to be in shape for, so I've been doing a lot of running. Each week I turn up the speed just a little faster. Hopefully when I hit the roads it'll translate for me. The good thing is, the course is at Fort Rucker, Alabama, so I'll have more oxegen down there to breath.
                  I think it depends on how well you ventilate. If you have a fan on you, treadmill is easier and you should put it at 1-2% grade. If you don't, it can be harder. at least that's my experience.
                  At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                  -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                    I think it depends on how well you ventilate. If you have a fan on you, treadmill is easier and you should put it at 1-2% grade. If you don't, it can be harder. at least that's my experience.
                    I would echo this. I also tend to put it at about 1.5-2% incline. Having a fan helps, so does having a TV or something to keep your mind off of the wall in front of you.

I prefer running outside, but I like the consistency of a treadmill. And I like that you can fine tune your workout. I used to do a lot of 5 minutes at a set speed, bump it up one for 5 more, up again for 5 more, etc., and just see how high I could get it for how long.

Comment

• Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
                      Well, I logged 23.3 miles in January at an average pace of 12:00/mile. Not bad for coming back from taking time off to prevent an injury. I start training for my half in June at the beginning of March and so I need to the miles up, I'm only at 6 miles/week now which means that I'll be about a mile and a half short of the weekly mileage of the higdon novice 1 half marathon training program if I stick to a 10% weekly increase. The important part though, is that I'm not experiencing any knee pain.
                      Are you still doing the Socal Ragnar?

If so I'll see you there. I just started training in earnest this week. Having gone 5,4,7,and 4 so far. Plan on 5 tonight and 8 tomorrow. This is my base to build on.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                        Are you still doing the Socal Ragnar?

If so I'll see you there. I just started training in earnest this week. Having gone 5,4,7,and 4 so far. Plan on 5 tonight and 8 tomorrow. This is my base to build on.
                        Yup, I bought my plane ticket last week. By mid-April I could up to 17 miles/week if I manage a 10% increase each week. I've got the second shortest leg and I'm sure I'll be the slowest. (With two former BYU distance runners on my team...)
                        Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                        - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.

Comment

Yup, I bought my plane ticket last week. By mid-April I could up to 17 miles/week if I manage a 10% increase each week. I've got the second shortest leg and I'm sure I'll be the slowest. (With two former BYU distance runners on my team...)
                          Awesome. Keep at it and stay healthy. Should be a lot of fun. Which runner are you? I think I am getting stuck with 2.

Comment

Awesome. Keep at it and stay healthy. Should be a lot of fun. Which runner are you? I think I am getting stuck with 2.
                            I'm assigned leg 10. I really want to run a longer/tougher leg, but I figure I should roll with it and let the better runners take the tougher legs. There is always next year...
                            - Howard Aiken

Comment

I'm assigned leg 10. I really want to run a longer/tougher leg, but I figure I should roll with it and let the better runners take the tougher legs. There is always next year...
                              After watching all of van 1 run last year, I realized there and no easy legs. Even some of the shorter ones have some nasty hills. That first leg of yours is a tough one, the last one has a tough downhill. Just run it hard and next year you can move up to something a bit more.

Comment

After watching all of van 1 run last year, I realized there and no easy legs. Even some of the shorter ones have some nasty hills. That first leg of yours is a tough one, the last one has a tough downhill. Just run it hard and next year you can move up to something a bit more.
                                Yeah, but

- Howard Aiken

Comment

Working...
                                X