No announcement yet.

The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow. Good luck. I did one 70.3 and it cured my need to do any more triathlons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      I’m registered for a 70.3 in Florida in two weeks. For now the race is still on (thanks to Florida having a GOP governor). It was originally scheduled for May but of course that didn’t happen. Keeping my condition through the summer has been awful. Last week was my worst week and it’s on to tapering now. Work has been crazy so it’s been tough to find time to train and I’ve been exhausted through it all but I’m glad it’s almost over.

I’ve got a half marathon in March, which I do every year and I’ll just glide into that without training too much.
      Have a blast! I did the one in Oceanside several years ago; it was challenging but felt good to accomplish. Race day was pretty neat.
      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• What are thoughts about the importance of rotating shoes? I have two pairs. Mizuno for dry days and Cloudrock waterproof trail shoes for rainy days. I do what I call intervals. Run/walk. Because I don’t love running 100 percent and to avoid injury. 14 minute miles for 5 plus miles. Anyway, after going over 1,000 miles last year without injury, I developed this condition in my foot. Pain in the tendon that runs inside my ankle from my heel by the knob. I had this before, years ago, and orthotics solved it. I run with orthotics.

I have read up on this problem, and I know you can make it much worse if you work out on your feet when it’s aggravated. Plank and the like are a good stretch. So I’ve been resting for about ten days. It’s bounced back faster than I’d feared it would. Now I’m about 85% and and super-anxious to get out. Relieved, because I read this problem can take weeks to resolve itself with rest and stretching exercises. But don’t want to re-injure it or aggravate it. Extreme problems can require surgery.

So I’m doing some forensic work on how this happened after no problem since I got the orthotics and no injuries for so long. I replaced by Cloudrock’s last October, and they are the prime suspect. I’m thinking maybe because I got a half size bigger because that’s all my store had in stock. I’m gong to ask Fleetfoot, the store I go to, for advice. I had also been running in the Cloudrocks continuously for many days because this is the rainy season. Yesterday my assistant at work, who is an exercise machine, told me never run without rotating shoes or you’re asking for injury.

So how important is rotating running shoes, if you have good shoes in good condition? Is this an urban myth perpetrated by shoe companies?
        Last edited by SeattleUte; 01-16-2021, 12:10 PM.
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• I absolutely believe in replacing running shoes after so many miles (500?) They do break down over use. I've never rotated shoes, but doing so simply means you're putting miles on them half as fast. If you replace them after hitting a certain mileage, then rotating won't cost you anything more. At our age, it's worth spending the money on shoes to mitigate injuries.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

I absolutely believe in replacing running shoes after so many miles (500?) They do break down over use. I've never rotated shoes, but doing so simply means you're putting miles on them half as fast. If you replace them after hitting a certain mileage, then rotating won't cost you anything more. At our age, it's worth spending the money on shoes to mitigate injuries.
            I agree very much. Just wondering if I have to discard my Cloudrocks, after being served well by their predecessor, or can still use them if I rotate. Based on the point you make, I think I’d better not risk it.
            Last edited by SeattleUte; 01-16-2021, 12:28 PM.
            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• I rotate shoes. I had heard that it gives them a chance to recover between runs. I have no idea if it really does anything, but that is what I do. I usually have 3 active pairs of shoes and run in each about 2 days a week. They are not all the same age, so I will retire one and then a few months later retire another...

Comment

• The mess left by runners dropping their tomatoes can finally be a thing of the past.

https://fb.watch/3teW4CKcPZ/

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirleyshup
                  I have Saucony Men's Triumph 17 Running Shoe. They fit in my feet really well. Nice wide toe box compared to my ASICS gel nimbus. Both have great cushioning. Overall length is a bit shorter than ASICS.
                  Have you ever tried Brooks? I'd be really interested in hearing your opinion in how they compare.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

Have you ever tried Brooks? I'd be really interested in hearing your opinion in how they compare.
                    I am a Brooks guy. Like the toe box. My son has fat ol feet, so he has to run in Altras because they are even more spacious in the toe box.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

I am a Brooks guy. Like the toe box. My son has fat ol feet, so he has to run in Altras because they are even more spacious in the toe box.
                      I actually have both Brooks and Altras right now.

Comment

• I have been running in Brokks Glycerins on and off for years. Currently have a pair of them alternating with a pair of 361° Merakis.

My Glycerins are about at their limit so I got some Brooks Ghosts to replace them, for a reason that I don't recall at the moment.

Comment

• I tried some Saucony endorphin shifts about a month ago and started getting a warm Achilles and I've had all kinds of legs issues all month. I didn't realize they have such a small drop. First sub-100 month in a couple of years and I'm hoping to get back on track in October.
                          I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Parrot Head View Post
                            I tried some Saucony endorphin shifts about a month ago and started getting a warm Achilles and I've had all kinds of legs issues all month. I didn't realize they have such a small drop. First sub-100 month in a couple of years and I'm hoping to get back on track in October.
                            I have been almost exclusively a Brooks Adrenaline and Ghost guy for the last 10 years. Wanting to mix things up a little, I recently grabbed a pair of Saucony Kinvaras that were on sale at Running Warehouse. I used them as my speed and race shoe 12-13 years ago and I really liked them. Thinking I was still in my mid 30s, I didn't think the low heel drop would be a big deal. Big mistake. They lit my Achilles up like Times Square. Now I can hardly even wear them around the house without my heel barking at me.

Comment

• I ran 8 miles this morning with my 15 ye old daughter. I can’t remember the last time I went that far.

it was way too hot, but luckily we were by the canals most of the way and were able to dip our shirts to cool things off.

may be time to sign up for a race to get myself going out more and so I can get faster. Today was 65 minutes and even though it was supposed to be easy I still look back and think it should be faster. Just need to get some more miles in me. A watch that works works be nice too.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                                I ran 8 miles this morning with my 15 ye old daughter. I can’t remember the last time I went that far.

it was way too hot, but luckily we were by the canals most of the way and were able to dip our shirts to cool things off.

may be time to sign up for a race to get myself going out more and so I can get faster. Today was 65 minutes and even though it was supposed to be easy I still look back and think it should be faster. Just need to get some more miles in me. A watch that works works be nice too.
                                How do you know it was 65 minutes?
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X