Furnish it!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pelado View Post

I intended to take those pictures before leaving the house today. Maybe tonight.
    17070810791486242116404665263140.jpg
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I was planning to post about the project(s) below when I read through this thread and realized I'd never posted the pictures of the headboard and footboard as I'd planned to do 2.5 years ago.

For over a year, I've been planning to repurpose the cabinet that I extracted from our kitchen island. It took me quite some time to get around to removing the substance beneath the tile countertop. When I got down to the plywood, I decided it was too beat up to use for that, so I used part of it for a shelf for the receiver in my garage.

I wanted to get a board of hardwood to use for the top, but I needed a board that was at least 12 3/4" wide. The Home Depot doesn't carry boards of that width. I considered using plywood and putting a trim piece around the edges, but then remembered I already had lots of leftover MDF from the island remodel.

I cut the MDF to size and put a rounded edge on it. I then used a primer/paint combo to prepare it for epoxy. Once the board was ready for epoxy, I started having second thoughts about the plan, concerned that the epoxy design wouldn't turn out as well as I wanted. Some people see the oddest things in abstract designs, after all.

I talked with a client who does woodworking locally about my dilemma and he recommended I visit a particular store that specializes in hardwood. Their location is not particularly close to me, so I checked out their website. It felt like they were speaking a different language.

I finally went into their location on Friday. They explained how they price things and I was able to find a 13" wide slab of 4/4 superior alder that a figured would work well with the knotty alder cabinet.

After I had them cut what I needed, I started thinking about other projects. The one that came to mind was speaker stands for our family room. The front speakers are currently hanging out on the entertainment center console thingy right next to the center speaker. There's supposed to be more separation between the speaker channels.

So I got a few more pieces of superior alder 4/4 for the bases and shelves of the stands, as well as some 8/4 knotty alder for the stand elevation. I had them plane one side of the knotty alder (and cut it in half since the 10-foot length was a bit more than my car can accommodate).

After getting home, I routed the board for the cabinet, sanded the board and the scratched portions of the cabinet, and then glued the board down. I clamped the board to the cabinet with what I could (picture is missing the two clamps I used on the front) and put the 8/4 knotty wood on top to ensure plenty of contact and adhesion.

20240202_052054.jpg

20240202_214238.jpg

I stopped by the Home Depot and got some more clamps that could accommodate the 4"+ that would result from gluing the 5-foot segments together on the planed surface. And then I glued those boards together that night.

20240202_214252.jpg
      I needed to wait at least 24 hours before the next step with the knotty alder (taking it back to the hardware shop and having them plane it on each side), but that means I can't take that next step until they reopen on Monday.

So I cleaned and reorganized the garage to make room for the staining process on everything else. I routed the edges of the bases and shelves.

Then I started staining everything (cabinet, cabinet doors, speaker stand bases and shelves) with the same stain I had matched for the kitchen cabinets last year. After the first coat, though, I found that the wood near the joint wasn't accepting any stain. It didn't take me too long to realize that the excess glue residue was blocking the stain. I knew it the glue was paintable and didn't realize until that moment that glue doesn't like stain.

After the stain had dried, I hand-sanded using 220 grit sandpaper and then restained it. Still didn't work. So, after it dried, I sanded with 120-grit and then 220-grit afterwhich I restained again. It was better that time, but also clear I still hadn't removed all the glue residue.

After church today, I sanded away the glue-residue spots with 60-grit then smoothed it out with 120-grit and 220-grit. This time, it accepted all the stain. Now I'm waiting for the stain to dry completely before I apply the first coat of polyurethane.

20240204_140522.jpg 20240204_140533.jpg
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
          My daughter said she wanted a loft bed for her birthday. I'm a cheap SOB, so I found a very inexpensive option. The bed she's been using is actually part of the bunk bed pictured in the quoted post. So I sanded the half that was in the garage and sealed it with some polyurethane and then switched it out with the bed she's been using.

Now I'm in the process of sanding the bed she had been using. After sanding and sealing this half, I'll raise up her bed with the lower supports but exclude the lower bunk. Hope it's secure enough.
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

This looks like a fun woodworking project.

Comment

Working...
            X