Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Solar Packages

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    We average $91/month. What are the chances solar would be a good investment for us?

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
      We average $91/month. What are the chances solar would be a good investment for us?
      32.33% (repeating, of course)
      "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
      "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
      This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
      "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
      "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
        32.33% (repeating, of course)

        Comment


        • #34
          Over the past 3 years:

          Monthly Average = 141
          Max Month = 355

          Based on those solar panel layout calculators, the maximum we could do on our roof would be a 9KW system, more likely a 7KW system. That would be 8 or 9 years to break-even in the best case. It just doesn't seem worth the hassle.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
            We are adding a pool and we have a 2 hp pump that pumps gray water to irrigate. Running pumps adds up quick.

            I have been thinking about putting a mini split in my garage as well. Did you insulate the walls?

            Yeah, electricity is cheap in Texas and there are power companies that encourage you to game the system (and even have an app for it). For example, there are at least a couple of companies that sell you electricity at wholesale rates (+ the TDU charges) and buy it back from you at the same rate (- the TDU charges).
            I didn’t insulate the walls but did insulate the ceiling before putting down plywood so we had more attic storage. I wanted to go a summer to see how things went without insulating the walls. It was good enough. If I insulate the walls I’d probably just cut holes in the drywall and use one of those blower machines to push the insulation into the walls. But the side of the house with the garage doesn’t get a lot of sun. I did insulate the garage doors and I need to put in some weather stripping to seal them better.


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

            Comment


            • #36
              I love seeing the phrase "Power is cheap nowadays"...unless you live in California.

              2300 Sq. Ft. house, one unit. We keep it at 80 degrees until 5 PM, then 78 degrees until 10 PM. 79 while we sleep, and then back to 80 at 6 AM.

              My bill two months ago was $660. Last month it was $640.

              Power is just another thing that California has fucked up.

              We have a Tier system. Tier 1 is .28 per KwH. Tier 2 and 3 are not even worth mentioning because the allowances for both of those tiers are extremely minimal. Tier 4 is like .45 per KwH. Most of your power is billed at Tier 4. And guess what? You can't do SHIT about any of it. You can't pick your power provider. You have one choice and one choice only.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                I love seeing the phrase "Power is cheap nowadays"...unless you live in California.

                2300 Sq. Ft. house, one unit. We keep it at 80 degrees until 5 PM, then 78 degrees until 10 PM. 79 while we sleep, and then back to 80 at 6 AM.

                My bill two months ago was $660. Last month it was $640.

                Power is just another thing that California has fucked up.

                We have a Tier system. Tier 1 is .28 per KwH. Tier 2 and 3 are not even worth mentioning because the allowances for both of those tiers are extremely minimal. Tier 4 is like .45 per KwH. Most of your power is billed at Tier 4. And guess what? You can't do SHIT about any of it. You can't pick your power provider. You have one choice and one choice only.
                Holy crap... no wonder solar is so popular in California. Of course, with all those damn fires and all that smoke it makes it hard to generate power.

                The downside for solar in Texas is there are only like 20 plans/power providers to pick from (instead of 100's): https://www.texaspowerguide.com/sola...k-plans-texas/
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                Comment


                • #38
                  Been here 6 months and averaging 140 per month. The solar calculator I used says I can put 15k on my roof but it over half the panels facing my south side neighbor's oak that keeps the entire south half of my house in the shade for most of the day. I cannot see it being worth it even with plans to be carried out of my house feet first.
                  “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by The_Tick View Post

                    We have a Tier system. Tier 1 is .28 per KwH. Tier 2 and 3 are not even worth mentioning because the allowances for both of those tiers are extremely minimal. Tier 4 is like .45 per KwH. Most of your power is billed at Tier 4.
                    In Utah we pay 9 cents per kWh. We only have 2 tiers, and Tier 2 is actually regressive, at 4.6 cents per kWh. Most people live in the Tier 1 world, but if you use enough to push you into Tier 2, your marginal power rate drops to half. Tsk tsk this incentivizes power waste. Between power and water, Utahans are a spendy lot.

                    We have a roomful of commercial kitchen spray rinse valves sitting for 3 years now, because someone got the smart idea that gifting them free to restaurants and businesses would decrease their water usage (think of them as fancy kitchen faucet aerators that slow the flow of water). We couldn't get anyone to take them, even with a $0 price, because no one would commit to using them. The purpose of a commercial kitchen spray rinse valve is NOT to get things wet; it is to spray down the dishes and push food off the plates. If you slow the flow of the kitchen spray rinse valves, you'll almost double the time it takes to clean the dishes. Thus doubling your labor rate. Plus during rush hours, you cant clean dishes fast enough, requiring an investment in more dishes.

                    And dont get me started about the water heater blankets that we tried to give away free to plumbers. If we give them to plumbers free of charge, then they can offer them to their customers for free or very low cost. Then the customers will save energy by requiring less power for their hot water heaters. But no plumber would take these blankets, because if the plumber installs one, they make no money on the blanket yet inherit all the liability not only with the blanket but also if anything happens to the hot water heater. No plumber is going to put a blanket on a hot water heater that he didn't install himself.

                    I got lots more. I'm going to write an article some day.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      I pay 9.2 cents per kWh. I have a two year plan with trieagle. I think I have around 30-40 different companies I can buy power from and they were the cheapest at the time I signed up.


                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                        And dont get me started about the water heater blankets that we tried to give away free to plumbers. If we give them to plumbers free of charge, then they can offer them to their customers for free or very low cost. Then the customers will save energy by requiring less power for their hot water heaters. But no plumber would take these blankets, because if the plumber installs one, they make no money on the blanket yet inherit all the liability not only with the blanket but also if anything happens to the hot water heater. No plumber is going to put a blanket on a hot water heater that he didn't install himself.

                        I got lots more. I'm going to write an article some day.
                        Yeah, those water heater blankets are dumb and would never fly in Texas... a lot of the water heaters are gas and it would be a fire hazard. Natural gas is cheap in Texas. In fact, they have to pay to get rid of it in west texas: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-n...-idUSKCN1RL2NL
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Does anyone know of any good solar contractors in North Utah?
                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X