General Upgrades & Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

What did you try that wasn't effective? Your bare hands?
    I had a brilliant idea about cutting a grid pattern in the stump with the circular saw that was much less effective in practice than it was in my mind.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post

I had a brilliant idea about cutting a grid pattern in the stump with the circular saw that was much less effective in practice than it was in my mind.
      I have done similar with much smaller stumps. Didn't work out for me either, even trying to use a sledge once the crosscutting was done.
      “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• FYI, your call on using a power planer is the right call. I have one and use it mostly for outside projects. I spent the better part of an hour yesterday planing down a raised root. It worked well. The epoxy is a good call on the boards. I just hope they are dry or you might have issues with them in the future, but if rustic is the look you are going for you’ll probably be fine with it.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          FYI, your call on using a power planer is the right call. I have one and use it mostly for outside projects. I spent the better part of an hour yesterday planing down a raised root. It worked well. The epoxy is a good call on the boards. I just hope they are dry or you might have issues with them in the future, but if rustic is the look you are going for you’ll probably be fine with it.
          The boards should definitely be dry. I was actually more concerned about rot and/or bug damage.

Looking at the current state of the epoxy, I'm not particularly pleased. When I first poured out the epoxy, I made sure to break the surface tension everywhere with my gloved hand. In spots, it seems to have soaked up the epoxy so much that it feels and looks although no epoxy was applied at all. In other places, the epoxy is pooled as if there were surface tension preventing it from free flowing and self-leveling. I noticed the potential for that while it was setting, but didn't want to introduce more air bubbles trying to manipulate it more than I already had.

I might need to do another round or two of epoxy before I move onto the polyurethane since the boards aren't nearly as smooth as I was expecting them to be.

Thank goodness I'm going for rustic.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
            The boards should definitely be dry. I was actually more concerned about rot and/or bug damage.

Looking at the current state of the epoxy, I'm not particularly pleased. When I first poured out the epoxy, I made sure to break the surface tension everywhere with my gloved hand. In spots, it seems to have soaked up the epoxy so much that it feels and looks although no epoxy was applied at all. In other places, the epoxy is pooled as if there were surface tension preventing it from free flowing and self-leveling. I noticed the potential for that while it was setting, but didn't want to introduce more air bubbles trying to manipulate it more than I already had.

I might need to do another round or two of epoxy before I move onto the polyurethane since the boards aren't nearly as smooth as I was expecting them to be.

Thank goodness I'm going for rustic.
            I'm feeling better about the epoxy right now.

I lightly sanded each board with 220 grit Cubitron paper using a random orbital sander and then used isopropyl alcohol to wipe off the residue. I didn't bother with the tape dams this time.

I mixed up a smaller batch of epoxy and poured a small quantity of epoxy on the first board, then rolled the epoxy out over the board. I continued that process with each subsequent board and then continued rolling the epoxy around the various boards for at least an hour or two.

The epoxy is still drying, so maybe this is premature, but it's looking a lot closer to what I wanted now.

20240611_083312.jpg
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Looks pretty good!
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
              X