Lawn mowers: post your gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Robot mower? Or just pay a neighbor kid?
    Get your ass out there and mow your own lawn. It is good for your health
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

I actually enjoy yard work. There's simply not enough time to do everything I want to do right now. I often have to skip a week or more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Admittedly, I do not mow my own lawn. This is what a 14 year old son is for.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          They grow up!

Comment

Oh yeah. With kids at home you absolutely have to have them mow the lawn and do other jobs.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

i haven’t mowed my lawn since my oldest turned 12, so about a decade ago
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• My oldest two mowed my lawn (terribly) for a period of about 8 years, until child #2 went to school. Child #3 really shouldn't be trusted with anything that can do as much damage as a mower, and that kind of got me out of the habit, so I never got my youngest to do it. I recently realized that she is 18 and has never mowed the lawn. I guess I will have to get her on that this summer.

It's nice being the baby of the family, as my older kids constantly say.

Comment

• Same. Every kid except the baby daughter mowed the lawn. She never did it once, and she got away with behavior that the older siblings could only dream about committing. But, she still has a 4.0 after two years in university. I’ll take that trade.
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

• My sprinklers suck. Like they sit too high and if you aren't paying attention you will hit them. As a result, i mow the lawn. Just don't trust those pesky kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post

After a fair amount of research on the Makita mower, I decided to go another direction (even though I bought into the Makita power tool lineup last year). Apparently, it's a bit underpowered with only 36V (18 + 18), its runtime is not that great, and I was concerned that the batteries would have to be replaced sooner since they would be going through a lot more charging cycles.

Costco was having a special on the 80V Greenworks mower for $500. My recollection is that Greenworks was pretty highly rated. But of course I waited to buy it until after getting back from a trip. By then, the special was over, so I got to pay $600.

I just tried it out this morning and it works well. I was surprised at how well it powered through some really tall grass and, in another area, some tall and wet grass, without cutting out like my gas mower would have. And the two batteries it came with were enough to complete the entire yard, front and back, even including some of the neighbor's yard in front since I'm not exactly sure where the property line is.

It's supposed to be self-propelled, but I didn't use that feature since I wanted better control over the pace (because of how tall the grass was), I wanted longer runtime on the batteries, and I need the exercise, anyway.
                      I have this Makita mower you almost bought. It's so lightweight, you don't really need self-propulsion. The runtime is actually quite good, though I'm using 5.0 AH batteries.

Makita has something like 9 different models, but I believe they only have two that are brushless (a must) and non self-propelled. This is one of those two models. A non self-propelled model will run a lot longer than a self-propelled. The other model was bigger, more expensive and wasn't a particularly good deal, something like $750. I bought mine off Facebook with two batteries for $300, wasn't used very much. I already had something like 9 batteries, so I didn't need anymore.
                      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Working...
                      X