No announcement yet.

DeWalt v. Milwaukee v. Makita

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will you guys think less of me if I say my power tools are almost all Ryobi?
    “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Copelius View Post
      Will you guys think less of me if I say my power tools are almost all Ryobi?
      Whenever I've wondered similarly, I usually figure "How could they possibly think less of me?"
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Power tools have followed a very similar trajectory to automobiles. Where there used to be a HUGE difference in reliability and durability, most brands were sort of forced to get their crap together and put out a serviceable, dependable product and/or include a reasonable warranty. I have always been partial to Makita, mainly because I got my first 9v cordless in high school for my summer job working as a grunt finish carpenter for my pervy neighbor, and he said Makita was the best. That thing lasted me years, until the batteries eventually stopped working and I couldn't get the right size/shape anymore. So I got another Makita set, and it has been great. I can tell it's almost time for another, and i'm open to whatever is the best deal.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I mostly have dewalt because that’s what lowes sells and battery interchangeability is important. But I’d say that most of tools in this range are the same in terms of power and reliability. Dewalt makes the best mini router, which is another reason I stay with them.

now that I’m doing more than random weekend projects around the house, I’m slowly buying festool. They are expensive but the difference between festool and these other guys is palpable.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I am a Dewalt guy, but mainly because that is where I started. Very happy with my tools.

I do have an Milwaukee cordless ratchet. I love it so much.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I know it's the MySql of power tools, but I'm a Rigid guy. Probably a Freudian thing.
              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                Power tools have followed a very similar trajectory to automobiles. Where there used to be a HUGE difference in reliability and durability, most brands were sort of forced to get their crap together and put out a serviceable, dependable product and/or include a reasonable warranty. I have always been partial to Makita, mainly because I got my first 9v cordless in high school for my summer job working as a grunt finish carpenter for my pervy neighbor, and he said Makita was the best. That thing lasted me years, until the batteries eventually stopped working and I couldn't get the right size/shape anymore. So I got another Makita set, and it has been great. I can tell it's almost time for another, and i'm open to whatever is the best deal.
                You've likely already made a choice. I went through this three years ago -- I think you go with DeWalt or Makita simply because their options in landscaping tools are more expansive. But that's for 18v. I chose Makita. The Flexvolt aspect of Dewalt is pretty compelling, particularly since Makita seems to be going full speed ahead with their 40v stuff, but Makita's 18v isn't going anywhere soon.

I think it's smart to also have 12v tools, and there's no competition here -- Milwaukee.
                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Working...
                X