Underground sprinkler system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underground sprinkler system

Who moves there sprinklers around? Underground sprinkler systems more common now. A lot nicer. May cost more money. But turning water off and on much nicer than moving sprinklers around. Particularly if no one is home all day.

Originally posted by grapevine View Post
    Who moves there sprinklers around? Underground sprinkler systems more common now. A lot nicer. May cost more money. But turning water off and on much nicer than moving sprinklers around. Particularly if no one is home all day.
    I used to do that at the American Fork Armory. I remember one hot summer afternoon being lectured by a eight year old that all I was doing was burning the grass in the hot sun.

Comment

I'm a bit confused with this. For a residential yard, typically either you move a hose around (with a sprinkler attached) to water different parts of it or you have a sprinkler system (with the pipes buried underground) that waters everything. Back in the olden days, when I was a kid, very few people in my neighborhood had a sprinkler system. Those that did had to use a tool to turn the sprinklers on and off to water their yard. But during the last 40 or 50 years sprinkler systems have been hooked up to automatic timers that run the sprinklers for you whenever you want.

The sprinkler system for my house is connected to irrigation water out of the canals and nobody measures how much water we use. Our entire subdivision is on this system. I have them set to run starting at 3:00 am to minimize loss to evaporation, but to be close enough to when the sun comes up to keep from growing mold or other undesirable stuff. The system has to get cleaned out several times a year because a bit of dirt and sand comes through it and can clog things up. Normally I only have to worry about mowing the lawn once in a while and everything else happens automatically.

I also have a drip system for the garden, trees, and bushes, but that is another topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
        I'm a bit confused with this. For a residential yard, typically either you move a hose around (with a sprinkler attached) to water different parts of it or you have a sprinkler system (with the pipes buried underground) that waters everything. Back in the olden days, when I was a kid, very few people in my neighborhood had a sprinkler system. Those that did had to use a tool to turn the sprinklers on and off to water their yard. But during the last 40 or 50 years sprinkler systems have been hooked up to automatic timers that run the sprinklers for you whenever you want.

The sprinkler system for my house is connected to irrigation water out of the canals and nobody measures how much water we use. Our entire subdivision is on this system. I have them set to run starting at 3:00 am to minimize loss to evaporation, but to be close enough to when the sun comes up to keep from growing mold or other undesirable stuff. The system has to get cleaned out several times a year because a bit of dirt and sand comes through it and can clog things up. Normally I only have to worry about mowing the lawn once in a while and everything else happens automatically.

I also have a drip system for the garden, trees, and bushes, but that is another topic.
        So what are you confused about?

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

So what are you confused about?
          Moving sprinklers around and the idea that "underground sprinklers" are some sort of a new thing.

Comment

Moving sprinklers around and the idea that "underground sprinklers" are some sort of a new thing.
            It probably depends on whether Grape is talking in the context of suburban homeowners or is he talking in the context of farmers whose irrigation practices for their yard may essentially be the same as for their farms. My guess is Grape was talking about the latter, not the former.

Comment

So that's where all the water in the west is going. Hey Idaho, didn't you hear we are in a 20 year mega drought!?
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post

So that's where all the water in the west is going. Hey Idaho, didn't you hear we are in a 20 year mega drought!?
                Everybody is still wasting water like crazy in Idaho. It bothers me to see water running down the gutter every day.

Comment

Everybody is still wasting water like crazy in Idaho. It bothers me to see water running down the gutter every day.
                  We all waste it. We were at a park in Lindon today that had a sign that said, "Yellow is the new green." The grass had no yellow anywhere, and the parking lot and sidewalk were freshly watered as well.

BTW, regarding your sprinkling system, you might think about installing a filter on the front end. We helped my boy put in his yard a couple years back, and he's on secondary water. Apparently this filter keeps the silt out, and you simply need to clean the filter occasionally.

Comment

There is one and only one effective solution to this problem. Start charging higher rates for water.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

There is one and only one effective solution to this problem. Start charging higher rates for water.
                      Apparently they are charging no rates for water up there! Everyone is just grabbing as much as they want from the canal.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Apparently they are charging no rates for water up there! Everyone is just grabbing as much as they want from the canal.
                        We have to pay approximately $60 per year for the irrigation water. The water comes in from one pumping station for the entire subdivision, which has about 250 houses or so. But there is no way to measure water usage.

Comment

Back when we were in a subdivision with pressurized irrigation, the HOA set parameters for when homes could water. Typically, we were limited to 4-hour blocks three times per week. The 4-hour blocks were assigned by the HOA and rotated from year to year. I don't know of any way for them to measure each home's usage, but watering outside of your assigned time could result in fines.
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                            Back when we were in a subdivision with pressurized irrigation, the HOA set parameters for when homes could water. Typically, we were limited to 4-hour blocks three times per week. The 4-hour blocks were assigned by the HOA and rotated from year to year. I don't know of any way for them to measure each home's usage, but watering outside of your assigned time could result in fines.
                            Yeah, we all have assigned times too, but absolutely nobody is out at 3:00 am checking who is watering on which days.

Comment

Yes, exactly. Most cities don’t have any meters on their secondary water use. It’s nuts.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                              X