"Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    But the fact that they could get away with such a brutal caricature of LDS beliefs and culture in the age of hypersensitivity says a lot about our "cultural cachet", as the critic put it. On the spectrum of respect, it puts us closer to scientology than judaism.
    Yes.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      An apologist writing about Mormonism in the Atlantic?

I recently read Jill Lepore's outstanding single volume history of the United States. She proved me right when I always said here that when the human history book is written at the end of days, Mormonism would merit at most a footnote. Her book doesn't mention Mormonism even once, not even in a footnote.
      How does it feel to be proven right ALL THE TIME? Must be really satisfying.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I think the church's PR response was the right move. No question. But the fact that they could get away with such a brutal caricature of LDS beliefs and culture in the age of hypersensitivity says a lot about our "cultural cachet", as the critic put it. On the spectrum of respect, it puts us closer to scientology than judaism.
        When is comes to "culture" we are definitely G5, if not FCS.

Comment

An apologist writing about Mormonism in the Atlantic?

I recently read Jill Lepore's outstanding single volume history of the United States. She proved me right when I always said here that when the human history book is written at the end of days, Mormonism would merit at most a footnote. Her book doesn't mention Mormonism even once, not even in a footnote.
          No wonder your kind refuses to recognize the 1984 national champions.
          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
            Wonderful article by McKay Coppins on todays place in America for Mormons.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ligion/617263/
            I read it earlier this evening. Totally worth the time. I was expecting more of you to be critical of it. Just the few that don't have the attention span to finish it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
              I read it earlier this evening. Totally worth the time. I was expecting more of you to be critical of it. Just the few that don't have the attention span to finish it.
              I think it was good and it reminded me that Mormons love nothing more than to read about Mormonism. McKay does hit the nail on the head a lot.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                I think it was good and it reminded me that Mormons love nothing more than to read about Mormonism. McKay does hit the nail on the head a lot.
                Agreed on all counts.

Comment

How does it feel to be proven right ALL THE TIME? Must be really satisfying.
                  You get used to it.
                  When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

You get used to it.
                    "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                      Agreed on all counts.
                      I'm not a very good Mormon, but that essay made me proud of the tribe.
                      I agree that the church could use some more cultural cachet, but that would require some big shifts in emphasis.
                      McKay C. might be the best apologist in LDS history.
                      "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                      -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

• Originally posted by Solon View Post
                        I agree that the church could use some more cultural cachet, but that would require some big shifts in emphasis.
                        I have always liked that guy. Really great to have him doing well as a writer.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• He’s also launched a campaign against the term Mormon, arguing that the nickname deemphasizes the Church’s Christianity. (I chose to use the term in this story for clarity’s sake, and also because the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints presented a multisyllabic writerly dilemma that my own God-given talents left me powerless to solve.)
                          Amen, Brother Coppins.
                          Last edited by LVAllen; 12-18-2020, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Solon View Post
                            I found myself getting nostalgic reading about his experiences. He is a good writer.
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
                              They announce the location of the Layton temple - where everyone around here expected - about 3 blocks or so from my home. I wonder what it will do to my homes value

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...a-century.html
                              Did your home value go up? They just announced the new temple in Lindon will be within a mile of my home. I'm not sure what to expect with our home value. I never thought I'd be in a position to walk to the temple.

Edit: It's about 1/3 mile away as the crow flies. We're pretty excited.
                              Last edited by Bo Diddley; 12-21-2020, 11:46 AM.

Comment

• Re-posting here so that we have a full record of RMN changes:

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist...date-june-2021

First Presidency Announces Changes to General ConferenceSaturday evening session will be discontinued; in-person attendance for October 2021 conference will not be available

Comment

Working...
                                X