"Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    There is a new online system for submitting names to the temple prayer rolls:

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist...l_081720_CTA1c

I still say it is a shame they got rid of the "curse your enemies" rolls that they had in early LDS temples.
    There was once curse your enemies rolls? Hell, I'd rejoin the church if they would reinstitute that. I have some enemies I'd like to curse.
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
      There was once curse your enemies rolls? Hell, I'd rejoin the church if they would reinstitute that. I have some enemies I'd like to curse.
      Now instead of roll it is in the form of a ward pot luck.
      A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• I just re-read about how Millenials react to the temple ceremony. One of the top 100 threads ever on this Board.

I had a thought- there have been many many changes to the temple ordinances, involving what you wear, what you say, what you do, how long it takes, etc. etc. And all of these changes seem to be in one direction: less controversial, less shocking, less alienating, more acceptable. Is it time to remove the prohibition against talking about it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
          I just re-read about how Millenials react to the temple ceremony. One of the top 100 threads ever on this Board.

I had a thought- there have been many many changes to the temple ordinances, involving what you wear, what you say, what you do, how long it takes, etc. etc. And all of these changes seem to be in one direction: less controversial, less shocking, less alienating, more acceptable. Is it time to remove the prohibition against talking about it?
          I'm not aware of any prohibition against talking about the temple ordinances. I don't reveal what I've covenanted not to reveal, but aside from that in our family, especially one of our kids is preparing or the endowment, we discuss the temple ordinances in what I feel is pretty good detail.

I have a missionary son receiving his endowment next Wednesday. They said he is allowed to have 16 guests - wow!. When our kids go through the temple for the first time, there is me and Mrs. Meanie, and maybe my parents if they happen to be in town. That's it. We don't have a big huge family reunion in the celestial room.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
            I just re-read about how Millenials react to the temple ceremony. One of the top 100 threads ever on this Board.

It's past time for the cultural prohibition to be actively repealed. It's counterproductive to allow people to first encounter all of the information on the internet.

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
            I'm not aware of any prohibition against talking about the temple ordinances. I don't reveal what I've covenanted not to reveal, but aside from that in our family, especially one of our kids is preparing or the endowment, we discuss the temple ordinances in what I feel is pretty good detail.

I have a missionary son receiving his endowment next Wednesday. They said he is allowed to have 16 guests - wow!. When our kids go through the temple for the first time, there is me and Mrs. Meanie, and maybe my parents if they happen to be in town. That's it. We don't have a big huge family reunion in the celestial room.
            I do the same with regard to temple preparation. When my oldest was going through, the official ward teacher asked the bishop if it was OK to play the church produced video on temple clothing.

After every lesson he taught, we would go home and have another lesson with none of the detail omitted.

The hugging in the celestial room still occurred however.

She still hated it.

Prediction: The literal interpretation of Adam and Eve will continue to cause decline in temple ordinance popularity.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
              It's past time for the cultural prohibition to be actively repealed. It's counterproductive to allow people to first encounter all of the information on the internet.

I do the same with regard to temple preparation. When my oldest was going through, the official ward teacher asked the bishop if it was OK to play the church produced video on temple clothing.

After every lesson he taught, we would go home and have another lesson with none of the detail omitted.

The hugging in the celestial room still occurred however.

She still hated it.

Prediction: The literal interpretation of Adam and Eve will continue to cause decline in temple ordinance popularity.
              The problem is what I call the "Casual American Ritualism" that pervades the church. Most other religions on the planet expose their adherents to visually rich religious clothing and dress conventions as a part of highly orchestrated ceremonial, ritualistic worship practices.

The average member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, especially children, have only ever experienced the sacrament and baptism ordinances (rituals). Teens are at least able to participate in proxy baptism, but the temple fonts are visually unremarkable, and the temple workers whom they meet there are dressed in all white.

In relation to religious clothing, seeing their father dressed in khaki pants, a blue blazer and sporting a yellow power tie is as flashy a religious dress as they will ever encounter.

Millennials don't have an issue with the content, or the narrative ... they struggle with the ceremonial and ritualistic nature of it all, because it seemingly comes out of left field.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/religious-dress
              Last edited by tooblue; 09-02-2020, 09:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                The problem is what I call the "Casual American Ritualism" that pervades the church. Most other religions on the planet expose their adherents to visually rich religious clothing and dress conventions as a part of highly orchestrated ceremonial, ritualistic worship practices.

The average member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, especially children, have only ever experienced the sacrament and baptism ordinances (rituals). Teens are at least able to participate in proxy baptism, but the temple fonts are visually unremarkable, and the temple workers whom they meet there are dressed in all white.

In relation to religious clothing, seeing their father dressed in khaki pants, a blue blazer and sporting a yellow power tie is as flashy a religious dress as they will ever encounter.

Millennials don't have an issue with the content, or the narrative ... they struggle with the ceremonial and ritualistic nature of it all, because it seemingly comes out of left field.

Lol. Leave it to tooblue to blame the US of A for the Church's lack of flamboyance. If only God were less of a 'Murica homer, maybe we'd have some day-to-day pomp and circumstance, yaknow?
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                  Lol. Leave it to tooblue to blame the US of A for the Church's lack of flamboyance. If only God were less of a 'Murica homer, maybe we'd have some day-to-day pomp and circumstance, yaknow?
                  Good gravy, are you just a little bit sensitive? To be more precise, perhaps it should be "Casual North American Ritualism." But that poses some challenges, because Mexico, among other countries not typically considered a part of North America are in fact included as a part of North America, so ...

Last edited by tooblue; 09-02-2020, 12:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post

I think I've made similar points here before. Our Sunday liturgy is significantly different than our temple liturgy, and then we "ask" members to keep mostly quiet about the temple's. Where can I get a church-sanctioned in-depth treatise on the symbolism of temple clothing? Contrast that with what is available for Catholicism or Judaism. Maybe they exist and I haven't seen them--published through official church channels.

Something like this.

Comment

• President Nelson is doing church stuff today so we don't have to do it on Sunday. Love him so much!

Comment

• I'm watching on Youtube. I don't remember them enabling chat before. #GiveThanks

Comment

• No fault divorce #GiveThanks
                            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Tattoos #GiveThanks
                              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Wonderful article by McKay Coppins on todays place in America for Mormons.

Over the next hour, Nelson preaches a gospel of silver linings. When I ask him about the lockdowns that have forced churches to close, he muses that homes can be “sanctuaries of faith.” When I mention the physical ravages of the virus, he marvels at the human body’s miraculous “defense mechanisms.” Reciting a passage from the Book of Mormon—“Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy”—he offers a reminder that feels like a call to repentance: “There can be joy in the saddest of times.”

There is something classically Mormon about this aversion to wallowing. When adversity strikes, my people tend to respond with can-do aphorisms and rolled-up sleeves; with an unrelenting helpfulness that can border on caricature. (Early in the pandemic, when Nelson ordered the Church to suspend all worship services worldwide and start donating its stockpiles of food and medical equipment, he chalked it up to a desire to be “good citizens and good neighbors.”) This onslaught of earnest optimism can be grating to some. “There’s always a Mormon around when you don’t want one,” David Foster Wallace once wrote, “trying your patience with unsolicited kindness.” But it has served the faith well.
                                https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ligion/617263/

Comment

Working...
                                X