What's your favorite Hymn and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

There are organs with built-in touch screens that control the stops (e.g. a Hauptwerk organ) but the church doesn't use these. Furthermore, users of these organs rarely use the touchscreens to display music. What many organists use these days for music is an iPad Pro running an app called forScore to display the music. forScore works really well and you can even turn pages using facial expressions (e.g. gesture with your lips). All of my music is on my iPad now and I plan to never go back to the old days of having to turn pages manually.

In this video you can see the organist playing on a Hauptwerk organ with touchscreens on both sides where you would normally have physical stops, as well as using his iPad for the music.

One of the problems in singing the new hymns with the congregation is getting them the music. We can put the words in the program but it's harder to put the music in the program unless you want to do a lot of printing and we don't even do a printed program any more. The words and music are in the church's Sacred Music app as well as in the Gospel Library app but it just doesn't go as well when everyone has to pull out their phones, navigate to the app, navigate to the music, find the hymn, and then sing it off their phone screen's tiny display. It especially won't go well for a hymn that nobody has ever sung before.
    The choir travels with a portable organ with the stops on touchscreens. Some organists use the I-Pad some still use paper. I noted that one that was using an I-pad in conference had a page turning button hooked up by the stop memory buttons.
    “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
      The new hymnbook comes out in 2026. See the video about the 2-minute mark:

About This Collection: Hymns—For Home and Church (churchofjesuschrist.org)
      Man, we really are a smiling people--so weird.

Comment

• Originally posted by Copelius View Post

The choir travels with a portable organ with the stops on touchscreens. Some organists use the I-Pad some still use paper. I noted that one that was using an I-pad in conference had a page turning button hooked up by the stop memory buttons.
        Yup - it's a Hauptwerk-based organ. It has Italian Fatar keyboards and Classic Midi Works, a Canadian company, built the midi switches into the keyboards and the pedal board. It runs the Hauptwerk software. At least that's what the specs were back in 2015 when they made this video. They may have upgraded stuff since then.

I have the exact same four-manual organ in my home although my keys are white, not natural wood color.

IMG_0857.JPG

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

Yup - it's a Hauptwerk-based organ. It has Italian Fatar keyboards and Classic Midi Works, a Canadian company, built the midi switches into the keyboards and the pedal board. It runs the Hauptwerk software. At least that's what the specs were back in 2015 when they made this video. They may have upgraded stuff since then.

I have the exact same four-manual organ in my home although my keys are white, not natural wood color.

IMG_0857.JPG
          Damn.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
          X