Church pulling out of the marriage business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post

Not entirely true. My dad (divorced; still sealed to my mom, technically) was sealed for time only to my stepmom, a widow. But maybe there were changes between their time-only marriage and today that I'm not aware of.
    At least 10 years ago, the policy was both had to have deceased spouses. But I only learned that when my dad remarried. I had no idea it was even a thing before that, so the policy may have been different through the years.

Comment

• I had totally forgotten that people do time-only marriages in the temple.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        I had totally forgotten that people do time-only marriages in the temple.
        Now you can forget it again. Super convenient.
        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• My wife and I were married for time-only in 1997. She was waiting for a cancellation of her sealing to her first husband from their divorce. We were sealed a few months later.

It was as lot more common then. I think they tightened things up about 10 years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            I had totally forgotten that people do time-only marriages in the temple.
            Of course you know this - but the caveat is - both people have to be already sealed to other spouses. No way would the church sully its Eternity Brand by uniting a loving couple for time only - if the couple weren't already locked in on the brand message of forever families, albeit with other spouses.

My mom married Hal (93) for time in the Chicago Temple. But apparently its an eternal marriage - because the guy just won't die already. He keeps hanging despite multiple death bed blessings permitting him to exit to the other side.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
            -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Lol

Comment

• Ha ha.

Regarding time only sealings, I always assumed it was a way for people to still have the culturally preferred wedding ceremony/setting even though the belief system technically made it unnecessary in those circumstances.

Maybe the culture is easing up a bit on categorically looking down on a non-temple wedding ceremony. A niece of mine is getting married next month and is planning a nice, outdoor ceremony. I haven't heard any hushed whispers of disapproval, and my children are really excited to attend.
                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                  Ha ha.

Regarding time only sealings, I always assumed it was a way for people to still have the culturally preferred wedding ceremony/setting even though the belief system technically made it unnecessary in those circumstances.

Maybe the culture is easing up a bit on categorically looking down on a non-temple wedding ceremony. A niece of mine is getting married next month and is planning a nice, outdoor ceremony. I haven't heard any hushed whispers of disapproval, and my children are really excited to attend.
                  Yeah, I can't wait for all the non-temple wedding ceremonies that my wife drags me to that are in Vegas the same weekend the Raiders are playing in town.
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                    Ha ha.

Yup. The fact that there is no longer a one-year waiting period to get sealed after a civil marriage probably helps in this regard:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/...riage?lang=eng

Comment

• in a shocking new development, dumb piece of shit tad callister continues to be very upset that the church has lost the culture war:

https://www.thechurchnews.com/living...amilies-213923
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                        in a shocking new development, dumb piece of shit tad callister continues to be very upset that the church has lost the culture war:

Dude, that's pretty harsh.

Comment

in a shocking new development, dumb piece of shit tad callister continues to be very upset that the church has lost the culture war:

No government program or policy can compensate for lack of strong families and moral values.
                          This seems on par with just about every conference talk I've heard in the last 20 years.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

Dude, that's pretty harsh.
                            my suggestion would be that he stop being a dumb piece of shit if he takes offense to my comment on this chat blog. otherwise, he should spend his remaining days doing what he's done for the last twenty years: fervently and impotently striving to be called to the q12.

Originally posted by falafel
                            This seems on par with just about every conference talk I've heard in the last 20 years.
                            if the 2021 church is in the same rhetorical and ideological place as the 2001 church (calling those who express love and compassion, are cool with the gay dudes getting married, aren't anti climate change wackos or think state policy shouldn't punish single mothers or their kids attackers of the family), it's pretty well done for already. nevermind the sweet irony of quoting d&c in an article maligning non-nuclear families as insidious attempts to destroy god's moral values. fuckin knucklehead.

Comment

my suggestion would be that he stop being a dumb piece of shit if he takes offense to my comment on this chat blog. otherwise, he should spend his remaining days doing what he's done for the last twenty years: fervently and impotently striving to be called to the q12.

if the 2021 church is in the same rhetorical and ideological place as the 2001 church (calling those who express love and compassion, are cool with the gay dudes getting married, aren't anti climate change wackos or think state policy shouldn't punish single mothers or their kids attackers of the family), it's pretty well done for already. nevermind the sweet irony of quoting d&c in an article maligning non-nuclear families as insidious attempts to destroy god's moral values. fuckin knucklehead.
                              I think your comments about Tad Callister say much more about you than they do about him.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

I think your comments about Tad Callister say much more about you than they do about him.
                                cool

Comment

Working...
                                X