Church pulling out of the marriage business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Church pulling out of the marriage business

So, word on the fb street is that in December, the church will announce that starting January 2015, a couple will need to present a marriage certificate to be sealed in the temple. In other words, get married civilly first, then go get sealed, no waiting period.

I know, consider the source, but the recent gay marriage legislation makes me want to believe it this time. Well, I've wanted to believe it for a while--there's nothing Christian about cutting out non believing parents from witnessing their child's wishing--but there is a little more reason for hope. Obviously, they've been doing it this way for years in Europe, so there is nothing doctrinal preventing it.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

#octobersurprise
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

I hope this happens.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
        I hope this is true.
        lol
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

i have seen various versions of this for the last few months on other places. One version said that chapels will no longer be allowed to hold any marriage activities (i.e. no more mormon meeting house receptions). It will be interesting if it actually comes to past and what new mormon marriage cultures will be created or pushed.
          "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

So a question I just thought of...what about legally married gay couples? I don't see temple sealings coming any time soon, but what about endowments? Isn't the specific language "legally and lawfully wed"? Will they change that language?
            At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

That would be awesome. Smart move on multiple levels. Now they don't have to worry about being forced to perform gay marriages.

Nevertheless, I am going to remain hopeful but skeptical.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                So a question I just thought of...what about legally married gay couples? I don't see temple sealings coming any time soon, but what about endowments? Isn't the specific language "legally and lawfully wed"? Will they change that language?
                How about "legally and lawfully and heterosexually wed"?
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  How about "legally and lawfully and heterosexually wed"?
                  Lol
                  -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

pulling out, haha
                    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

this is horrible news. now i have to attend two weddings instead of one?
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
                        i have seen various versions of this for the last few months on other places. One version said that chapels will no longer be allowed to hold any marriage activities (i.e. no more mormon meeting house receptions). It will be interesting if it actually comes to past and what new mormon marriage cultures will be created or pushed.
                        No more receptions at the ward house? Cheap Mormons (read most Mormons) would be up in arms.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          six. #sjbh
                          I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

Comment

Should make for some better, more festive Mormon weddings. My siblings' non-temple weddings were more enjoyable than the temple ones.
                            “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                            "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              I hadn't thought of that angle. Horrible news indeed. Few things worse than funerals and weddings, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X