Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mental health, suicide and faith (looong)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's no one's fault nor is it the church's fault. Your son has a sickness that can hopefully be addressed in a fashion that will allow him to lead a normal life. Godspeed to your family tooblue.

Comment

Pardon my Dust - are you people saying that external influence has no bearing on mental health? So I was predisposed to be depressed - and there was nothing I can do about it?

(BTW - I am clinically certified - if that adds to my street cred on this issue.)

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
      -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
        Pardon my Dust - are you people saying that external influence has no bearing on mental health? So I was predisposed to be depressed - and there was nothing I can do about it?

(BTW - I am clinically certified - if that adds to my street cred on this issue.)
        It is a salient question that perhaps can best be answered by another question: would depression still afflict individuals if we did not have poverty, hate, conflict, insensitivity? Yes.

Each of those external influences can act as triggers that bring on feelings of frustration, and strong emotion such as anger, sadness and despair that can exacerbate depressive symptoms, but they are not the cause of baseline mental health issues. Baseline mental health issues are physiological. And despite the fact baseline mental health issues are physiological, the agency of an individual isn't rendered irrelevant, but it can be compromised.

This is where we often fail in our understanding of the impact of mental health: we place an undue level of responsibility for the actions of individuals suffering with baseline mental issues on external factors which may or may not in fact be a factor. Perhaps because it is so hard to comprehend what is plainly incomprehensible.

My child who is intelligent, both emotionally and intellectually, and talented, accomplished and blessed with all the advantages afforded a middle to upper middle class family suffered such painful despair that he succumbed to an ineffable internal voice that relentless gnawed at his psych and compelled him to not only want but to act and harm himself.

I hope you are able to find the support you need to help you with your mental health journey. I am truly sorry you bear that burden.
        Last edited by tooblue; 11-25-2022, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X