2021 October General Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by falafel View Post

Faith is like choosing to eat better and exercise in order to lose weight. You have to keep making the choice every day, but sometimes you will fail. But then you have another chance to choose again, and if you continue consistently making the better choice, pretty soon you've dropped 10 lbs and have some pecs popping up. That doesn't mean you are Mr. Olympus, but you build on that foundation and be more fit and healthy every day.
    I don't know. you are making it sound like the choice to have faith = choosing the right in terms of actions. i choose to go to church, i choose to do my ministering and i choose to do my calling. i also try to be a good person in general (walk old ladies across the street, etc). so it seems that by your definition i'm choosing to have faith. but the reality is i'm really just trying to participate and do my part to lift the organization i belong to and the world i live in. my motivations are almost entirely pragmatic - not so much faithful.

I don't have any expectation of godly reward or that my prayers will be answered - which is what i view as having faith. hence, i'm not confident you are correct that it is a choice or if it is a choice that it so simple to just choose.
    Last edited by smokymountainrain; 10-07-2021, 07:47 AM.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
      my motivations are almost entirely pragmatic - not so much faithful.
      Maybe this is part of the issue.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Maybe this is part of the issue.
        what issue?
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

• I just want to say I have really appreciated the last three pages of this thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post

what issue?
            Never mind. Forget that response. But I do want to comment on this:

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
            I don't have any expectation of godly reward or that my prayers will be answered - which is what i view as having faith. hence, i'm not confident you are correct that it is a choice or if it is a choice that it so simple to just choose.
            Obedience for the sake of a godly reward doesn't move my needle much and I am not sure I agree that this is the best definition of "having faith". I do have faith that God will make everything right, but the eternal reward is not my motivation. At this point I frame my obedience as an expression of my love of God and my trust in God - both of which are the fruits of countless experiences from a life of faith.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Keep me apprised of the vaccine prophesy fireworks! Love the irony so much.
              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Working...
              X