No announcement yet.

Primary kid bites primary worker, primary worker smacks kid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son (w/ Asperger's) got some unwanted physical contact form a teacher's aide in kindergarten. She got a head-butt with broken nose and broken glasses for her trouble. He got a big nasty-looking bruise on his arm (from where she grabbed him after the headbutt) and a lesson about Aspergers & other autistic kids: What may seem like normal & natural physical contact for most children, might be completely inappropriate for others. No physical contact is the best rule...

Comment

I find that a good way to stop a biting child, without hitting or pinching them and without letting them continue to chomp on you, is to push the area they are biting toward them. Their natural reaction is to stop biting because their reflexes take over. I don't know if it has to do with a suffocation response or what but it works incredibly well.

Comment

I'd bite the brat back...

Comment

In Neal A Maxwells bio by Bruce HAfen Neal when he was young had a habit of biting people. His mom said bite him back. That cured Neals problem.

Comment

It's the elector from SoCal! Has your wife been writing on your chest recently?

Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
            Great ideas - except:

1. Getting a table in the classroom that will both fit and accommodate all the kids. If you go for the folding tables under the stage, then you've got to go get it before primary, and then return it after primary, while probably disrupting whatever class is going on in the gym.
            Yep, this is a problem. IMO, the benefit is usually worth the hassle, though.

The folding tables under the stage are generally too tall, but if you place them on the floor without unfolding their legs, you can sit a class of 10 to 12 around them in a small classroom. (WARNING: Do not try placing a table on the floor without a firm warning that dancing on it is unacceptable . In small classrooms I usually tell the kids that I'm the only one allowed to walk on the table. They go for the rule because they're excited about snack, play dough, crafts, etc. I've found that if you put a note on the table and leave it in the hall, there's a good chance that the cleaning crews will be too lazy to put it back under the stage between Sundays. There's no need to prep your classroom because the kids love to help slide the table into the room before class.

You can also put two of the small classroom tables next to each other. Legs are adjustable....

2. With members being responsible for cleaning the church, I know many primaries have "no food" rules - and I'd assume there are "no play-doh" rules, too - I know our had one, and while we still ignored it, I'd expect there are some that enforce those rules more than ours did.
            Sounds sad for the kids... although I have to admit that I hate it when Sundays turn into Halloween 'cause sugar gets used as a bribe in class after class.

Great ideas, though - I think I'm going to make the suggestion to my wife, who currently teaches 9-year-olds.
            9-year-olds are kind of tricky. They like competitions, quizzes and group projects. The table might work... but I've never tried it on that age group.

I think my main point is, though, that you can't really control the kids and you can't control whether or not the bish or the primary pres are cool with play dough and food. However, you can affect behavior by controlling the classroom environment you create within whatever limits you have been given.

If I were in charge, I'd change the 3-hour block and the structure of primary. Sharing time is so draining that I can barely sit through it as an adult; the kids have a very hard time after sacrament meeting. But, seeing as how I'm accustomed to not having power , I figure the best I can do is change the things that I DO have control over. The only thing, IMO, a teacher can really control is classroom environment.

Comment

I wouldn't allow the kid to come to my class. Too many people treat nursery, primary, and Sunday school as day care. Now in my class, I am often the biggest kid among them, but if a child is physically harming others or being so disruptive that the rest of the other kids are suffering because of it I'd take him out and talk with him/her alone. If that didn't help I'd get the parents to take their child. I'd also lean on the Primary presidency and/or member of the bishopric to help or at least witness the behavior so you're justified in your discipline.

Best of luck.
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

I once saw a kid in primary that was literally uncontrollable. The parents didn't believe anyone and figured she was just being a normal kid. The kids teacher finally gave up and said she was either going to quit teaching or the kid had to stop coming to class.

It was at that point that the Bishop called the kid's parents as primary teachers. The primary president then assigned them directly to the class their kid attends. Problem solved.....sort of.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Sister Diddley asked me to sub for her Primary teaching partner today. The class is 7-8 year olds. After asking the kids to think of a time when they felt like God knew them personally, she turned to ask me. I said when I went to war. One kid in all seriousness asks, "So like what war was that? The Civil War?"

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                    Sister Diddley asked me to sub for her Primary teaching partner today. The class is 7-8 year olds. After asking the kids to think of a time when they felt like God knew them personally, she turned to ask me. I said when I went to war. One kid in all seriousness asks, "So like what war was that? The Civil War?"
                    Lol.

I taught primary today too. My daughter liked the story that was too short, so he climbed the tree to see Jesus. She thought that was funny. I agreed.

Comment

After a 1.5 hiatus as unemployed they gave me a wild 6 year old primary class one year ago that consisted of 9 kids. 7 boys and 2 girls and they were pretty out of control. As my wingman they gave me a newly graduated boy and we tackled, at times literally, this wild gang. They would climb out the windows and just go bonkers. It was a blast. They had gone through like 8 or 9 sets of teachers over the past few months but there is no damn way they would get me to call it quits. After just the consistency of me and the other kid for a few months we got them to start calming down a bit-then my wife was called to help me and with her soothing touch and ability to keep kids attention and understand kids they have become pretty good group. Simple things like walks, bribing them with candy and just enjoying being with them. If a well behaved woman never makes history a well behaved 6 year old boy will never one day be a strong safety willing to blitz with reckless abandon.

To be honest now if I miss a Sunday-I really miss those kids. Young kids are so earnest in their desire to do good. Folks just need to understand the Church can both be really good for you and boring on a consistent basis. Don't expect kids to be anything other than normal kids and go with the flow. Bribe the hell out of them, video the batshit crazy dancing they do in singing time and text it to their parents or grandparents. It can be a blast. I expect the Primary Presidency will let my wife and I go another year with this group before being confident another couple can handle them. At least I hope they keep us with them another year in 2024.
                      Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                      -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                      -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                        After a 1.5 hiatus as unemployed they gave me a wild 6 year old primary class one year ago that consisted of 9 kids. 7 boys and 2 girls and they were pretty out of control. As my wingman they gave me a newly graduated boy and we tackled, at times literally, this wild gang. They would climb out the windows and just go bonkers. It was a blast. They had gone through like 8 or 9 sets of teachers over the past few months but there is no damn way they would get me to call it quits. After just the consistency of me and the other kid for a few months we got them to start calming down a bit-then my wife was called to help me and with her soothing touch and ability to keep kids attention and understand kids they have become pretty good group. Simple things like walks, bribing them with candy and just enjoying being with them. If a well behaved woman never makes history a well behaved 6 year old boy will never one day be a strong safety willing to blitz with reckless abandon.

To be honest now if I miss a Sunday-I really miss those kids. Young kids are so earnest in their desire to do good. Folks just need to understand the Church can both be really good for you and boring on a consistent basis. Don't expect kids to be anything other than normal kids and go with the flow. Bribe the hell out of them, video the batshit crazy dancing they do in singing time and text it to their parents or grandparents. It can be a blast. I expect the Primary Presidency will let my wife and I go another year with this group before being confident another couple can handle them. At least I hope they keep us with them another year in 2024.
                        Very cool. I think Primary is the best.

Comment

Primary is indeed the best. My wife is Prez right now so I get called to sub all the time and I love it. That combined with teaching GD once a month is a better than average church gig.

My funny primary story comes from my son. Since he learned to talk (quite delayed) he has pretended his two fingers on one hand are legs and he walks them around like a little human. He named this friend of his "Little Guy". At some point it morphed into just "Guy". Then Guy got a pet snake friend just named "Snake". Guy and Snake have some pretty awesome adventures and my son has even written several crude comic books about them. He loves Guy and Snake. A few months back his primary class had the OT lesson about Moses and the bronze serpant. As part of the lessone they got to color a picture of Jesus on the cross and the serpant on a pole. When we picked him up, he was so excited that he was able to learn about Guy and Snake at church.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                            Primary is indeed the best. My wife is Prez right now so I get called to sub all the time and I love it. That combined with teaching GD once a month is a better than average church gig.

My funny primary story comes from my son. Since he learned to talk (quite delayed) he has pretended his two fingers on one hand are legs and he walks them around like a little human. He named this friend of his "Little Guy". At some point it morphed into just "Guy". Then Guy got a pet snake friend just named "Snake". Guy and Snake have some pretty awesome adventures and my son has even written several crude comic books about them. He loves Guy and Snake. A few months back his primary class had the OT lesson about Moses and the bronze serpant. As part of the lessone they got to color a picture of Jesus on the cross and the serpant on a pole. When we picked him up, he was so excited that he was able to learn about Guy and Snake at church.
                            That is great. Happy to hear that is doing well.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post

Love it!

Comment

Working...
                              X